American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

our_fella

Did San Diego -6.5 @ 1/1 ...seems like a steal!

ONeill

Yeeehhaaaa.

And they'll beat the Broncos too.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AZOffaly

3 of the last 4 AFC teams are from the West. Only the Patriots from anywhere else.

AZOffaly

Oops. Scratch that. I still can't believe KC threw that away.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 05, 2014, 09:17:20 PM

Alex Smith played like a man possessed, QB rating of just south of 120 without Jamaal Charles. Way too many injuries. Losing Flowers helped make their defense as tough as jelly.

Minder

Quote from: Syferus on January 05, 2014, 09:25:38 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 05, 2014, 09:17:20 PM

Alex Smith played like a man possessed, QB rating of just south of 120 without Jamaal Charles. Way too many injuries. Losing Flowers helped make their defense as tough as jelly.

Just too many injuries to absorb, down to their third string RB.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Minder

Can't see Packers winning with this defence.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Carmen Stateside

Tough one to call with 5 mins to go! Both teams have defended well!

Puckoon

cadhlancian

Quote from: ONeill on January 05, 2014, 09:06:12 PM
Yeeehhaaaa.

And they'll beat the Broncos too.
no they won't ...

cadhlancian

The AFC is one of the most average in years. Denver are a great offense , but absolutely awful on the other side of the ball. The pats have been decimated with injuries and were still the 2 seed :o
I would take the NFC winner against any AFC team right now, particularly as the SB is outdoors in NY this year. That won't suit Denver.

deiseach

Quote from: Syferus on January 05, 2014, 03:12:39 PM
Quote from: deiseach on January 05, 2014, 09:03:20 AM
What is it American sports fans love so much about snowbound football matches? The thought of one has them buzzing.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mZo3wHpOuEc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DmZo3wHpOuEc

Consider yourself educated ;)

I'd heard about the Ice Bowl. Are you saying all the hoopla whenever there is snow on the radar is attached to that one game?

mc_grens

Quote from: deiseach on January 06, 2014, 09:03:08 AM
What is it American sports fans love so much about snowbound football matches? The thought of one has them buzzing.

I'd heard about the Ice Bowl. Are you saying all the hoopla whenever there is snow on the radar is attached to that one game?

Not JUST that one game, but that's certainly the most famous example. I remember watching an absolute cracker about 5 years ago between Green Bay and The Giants in the snow- an NFC Championship game I think.

Syferus

Quote from: mc_grens on January 06, 2014, 09:37:42 AM
Quote from: deiseach on January 06, 2014, 09:03:08 AM

Not JUST that one game, but that's certainly the most famous example. I remember watching an absolute cracker about 5 years ago between Green Bay and The Giants in the snow- an NFC Championship game I think.

The Tuck Rule Game happened in a snow storm too.

..and the Snowplow Game for that matter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowplow_Game

AZOffaly

I think it speaks more to the essence of American Football, especially the old values. Strap it up, line up and smash the bejaysus out of each other, while running up the gut in a cloud of 'dust' (or snow). The modern, pass happy NFL reverts to something more primitive when there's a tonne of snow on the ground and you can barely stand up, never mind throw a 40 yard spiral.

I also think it reinforces the image of the NFL being a tough guy sport. Ice Hockey is genuinely a tough guy sport, but the NFL also trades on that image. It's a winter sport, a cold weather, snots and blood sport. This may not apply to much to the new domed stadiums, or the Arizona Cardinals for example, but a game in a blizzard brings back memories and images of great games gone by. And it's so different, you'll not get Baseball or Basketball (obviously) in weather like that. 'this here's football weather'.