American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Crete Boom on December 10, 2013, 10:22:27 AM
Go Bears really lit up the stadium on offense (Jeez I never thought I  would hear myself say that). The Jeffrey , Marshall ,Bennett combo is really starting to click although the Dallas secondary is probably as bad as the Bears run defence. Fair play to McCown who has really stepped up since Cutler got injured and Matt Forte was excellent again. My favourite bit was the monster hit by Marshall on  Sean Lee when Mcown was scrambling for a first down.

The Bears really need to get Briggs and Tillman fit on D and firgure out a way to plug the hole on run defence with Nate Collins and Melton still out. Somebody needs to wake Julius Peppers from his slumber to get some pressure on the QB!!!

Yeah - enjoyed this one last night, a bit bleary eyed today. If the Bears can cobble together any sort of defense at all they could upset a few before the season ends. Marshall, Jeffery and Bennett present huge problems for everyone and the o-line is light years ahead of the last few seasons. Of course Forte is fantastic too as he has pretty much always been.

That was a great hit by Marshall alright. Lee was in the wars last night.

Crete Boom

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 10, 2013, 10:37:52 AM
Quote from: Crete Boom on December 10, 2013, 10:22:27 AM
Go Bears really lit up the stadium on offense (Jeez I never thought I  would hear myself say that). The Jeffrey , Marshall ,Bennett combo is really starting to click although the Dallas secondary is probably as bad as the Bears run defence. Fair play to McCown who has really stepped up since Cutler got injured and Matt Forte was excellent again. My favourite bit was the monster hit by Marshall on  Sean Lee when Mcown was scrambling for a first down.

The Bears really need to get Briggs and Tillman fit on D and firgure out a way to plug the hole on run defence with Nate Collins and Melton still out. Somebody needs to wake Julius Peppers from his slumber to get some pressure on the QB!!!

Yeah - enjoyed this one last night, a bit bleary eyed today. If the Bears can cobble together any sort of defense at all they could upset a few before the season ends. Marshall, Jeffery and Bennett present huge problems for everyone and the o-line is light years ahead of the last few seasons. Of course Forte is fantastic too as he has pretty much always been.

That was a great hit by Marshall alright. Lee was in the wars last night.

I think Lee is more banged up then the cowboys are letting on but they have no other leaders in the secondary or at linebacker so he is being flogged by Marinelli at the moment. The O line is top notch at the moment and it helps that Forte is brilliant at picking up blitzs to  put in some monster blocks. I think Forte is right up there as an old school Bears RB as his numbers are amazing considering the amount of different QB's and offensive co-ordinators he has had to work with in his time! Michael BUsh was disappointing again last night as he has been since he came over from the Raiders. I really though he would give us a bludgeon option at the goal line akin to what the "Bus" use to do at the end of his Steelers career.

magpie seanie

I think Forte is more than competent in short yardage situations. Poor offensive line play was his worst enemy in the past as well as poor QB play (i.e. everyone knew he was getting it!!!!).

Just such a pity about this years patchwork quilt of a defense. Even a slowed down Urlacher would be a huge help in there now. The tackling is terrible.

Club Rossa

Was thinking the same about Urlacher last night Seanie.When you look at the Bears tackling he would be a useful boy to have.
It was a real pity how things ended between him and the Bears,he was a great player.

Crete Boom

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 10, 2013, 12:25:00 PM
I think Forte is more than competent in short yardage situations. Poor offensive line play was his worst enemy in the past as well as poor QB play (i.e. everyone knew he was getting it!!!!).

Just such a pity about this years patchwork quilt of a defense. Even a slowed down Urlacher would be a huge help in there now. The tackling is terrible.

I would love us to have a fast small guy like Moreno/Rice/Jones Drew/Sproules to give us another option and to take some of the attention off Forte who as you said can get it done at the goal line but can also cut to the outside or inside! I like the way the Niners have Kendal Hunter get some big plays when Gore is getting a rest , we just don't have this at the moment and that is my biggest probelm with Bush.

God even an old man Urlacher would be massive for us on D at the moment but time moves on ( money as always talks) and I suppose D.J. Williams was suppose to be some cover but he's crocked at the moment too.

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: stringbean on December 09, 2013, 09:35:55 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 08, 2013, 04:56:22 AM
All over bar the shouting. College football is amazing.

Auburn will play Florida State in the BCS Championship game in January. Alabama will be represented in five consecutive BSC title games now, and the crystal football hasn't left the state since that streak began. Incredible.

I never thought in my wildest dreams that when the dust settled on the 2013 season Auburn would be one of the final two teams. This year's run is even more stunning than Cam's back in 2010-11. From win-less in the SEC last year to the national title game, this is the sort of thing that just doesn't happen in a sport as competitive as college ball. Malzahn was an inspired choice.

A seminal season? Check.

A team of destiny? One last test.
Say what you like about auburn, but that running attack is mightily impressive. Mizzou are no soft touch on defense but the relentless attack from Auburn was special. Had my doubts before the Alabama came but have to say what i seen there last 2 games was unreal. Their defense is atrocious though.

Any bets on the total number of points in the national title game - couldn't see it being under 100 points (per team lol)

It's hard to imagine anything more impressive than Tre Mason - 304 yards, four touchdowns and his da was in De La Soul.

Syferus

Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on December 10, 2013, 01:57:50 PM
Quote from: stringbean on December 09, 2013, 09:35:55 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 08, 2013, 04:56:22 AM
All over bar the shouting. College football is amazing.

Auburn will play Florida State in the BCS Championship game in January. Alabama will be represented in five consecutive BSC title games now, and the crystal football hasn't left the state since that streak began. Incredible.

I never thought in my wildest dreams that when the dust settled on the 2013 season Auburn would be one of the final two teams. This year's run is even more stunning than Cam's back in 2010-11. From win-less in the SEC last year to the national title game, this is the sort of thing that just doesn't happen in a sport as competitive as college ball. Malzahn was an inspired choice.

A seminal season? Check.

A team of destiny? One last test.
Say what you like about auburn, but that running attack is mightily impressive. Mizzou are no soft touch on defense but the relentless attack from Auburn was special. Had my doubts before the Alabama came but have to say what i seen there last 2 games was unreal. Their defense is atrocious though.

Any bets on the total number of points in the national title game - couldn't see it being under 100 points (per team lol)

It's hard to imagine anything more impressive than Tre Mason - 304 yards, four touchdowns and his da was in De La Soul.

And Tre's justifiably made the cut for the Heisman finalists and he's won the SEC offensive PotY award too. It took the last three games for the outside world to realise but Mason talent has been obvious for a long time.

He's a junior but he's so good I can see him turning pro after the national title game.

AZOffaly

For those of you who are going to kick back and watch a bit of College Football over the Christmas and New Year, here's the list of Bowl Games. BCS Bowls in Bold......

All times Eastern US.

Saturday Dec 21st...

Gildan New Mexico Bowl - Washington State vs. Colorado State    Albuquerque, N.M. University Stadium    Dec. 21 2 p.m.
Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl - Fresno State vs. USC    Las Vegas Sam Boyd Stadium    Dec. 21 3:30 p.m.
Famous Idaho Potato Bowl - Buffalo vs. San Diego State    Boise, Idaho Bronco Stadium    Dec. 21 5:30 p.m.
R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl - Tulane vs. Louisiana-Lafayette    New Orleans Mercedes-Benz Superdome    Dec. 21 9 p.m.

Monday December 23rd

Beef 'O' Brady's St. Petersburg Bowl - East Carolina vs. Ohio    St. Petersburg, Fla. Tropicana Field    Dec. 23 2 p.m.

Christmas Eve December 24th

Sheraton Hawaii Bowl - Boise State vs. Oregon State    Honolulu Aloha Stadium    Dec. 24 8 p.m.

Saint Stephen's Day December 26th
Little Caesars Pizza Bowl - Pittsburgh vs. Bowling Green    Detroit Ford Field    Dec. 26 6 p.m.
S.D. County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl - Utah State vs. Northern Illinois    San Diego Qualcomm Stadium    Dec. 26 9:30 p.m.

Friday December 27th
Military Bowl Presented By Northrop Grumman - Marshall vs. Maryland    Annapolis, Md. Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium    Dec. 27 2:30 p.m.
Texas Bowl - Syracuse vs. Minnesota    Houston Reliant Stadium    Dec. 27 6 p.m.
Fight Hunger Bowl - BYU vs. Washington    San Francisco AT&T Park    Dec. 27 9:30 p.m.

Saturday December 28th
New Era Pinstripe Bowl - Rutgers vs. Notre Dame    Bronx, N.Y. Yankee Stadium    Dec. 28 Noon
Belk Bowl - Cincinnati vs. North Carolina    Charlotte, N.C. Bank of America Stadium    Dec. 28 3:20 p.m.
Russell Athletic Bowl - Miami vs. Louisville    Orlando, Fla. Florida Citrus Bowl    Dec. 28 6:45 p.m.
Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl  - Michigan vs. Kansas State    Tempe, Ariz.  Sun Devil Stadium    Dec. 28 10:15 p.m.

Monday December 30th
Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl - Middle Tennessee vs. Navy    Fort Worth, Texas Amon G. Carter Stadium    Dec. 30 11:45 a.m.
Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl - Ole Miss vs. Georgia Tech    Nashville, Tenn. LP Field    Dec. 30 3:15 p.m.
Valero Alamo Bowl - Oregon vs. Texas    San Antonio Alamodome    Dec. 30 6:45 p.m.
National University Holiday Bowl - Arizona State vs. Texas Tech    San Diego Qualcomm Stadium    Dec. 30 10:15 p.m.

New Years Eve December 31st
AdvoCare V100 Bowl - Arizona vs. Boston College    Shreveport, La. Independence Stadium    Dec. 31 12:30 p.m.
Hyundai Sun Bowl - Virginia Tech vs. UCLA    El Paso, Texas Sun Bowl    Dec. 31 2 p.m.
AutoZone Liberty Bowl - Rice vs. Mississippi State    Memphis, Tenn. Liberty Bowl    Dec. 31 4 p.m.
Chick-fil-A Bowl - Duke vs. Texas A&M    Atlanta Georgia Dome    Dec. 31 8 p.m.

New Years Day January 1st
TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl - Nebraska vs. Georgia    Jacksonville, Fla. Everbank Field    Jan. 1 Noon
Heart of Dallas Bowl - UNLV vs. North Texas    Dallas Cotton Bowl    Jan. 1 Noon
Capital One Bowl - Wisconsin vs. South Carolina    Orlando, Fla. Florida Citrus Bowl    Jan. 1 1 p.m.
Outback Bowl - Iowa vs. LSU    Tampa, Fla. Raymond James Stadium    Jan. 1 1 p.m.
Rose Bowl Game presented by VIZIO Stanford vs. Michigan State    Pasadena, Calif. Rose Bowl    Jan. 1 5 p.m.    
Tostitos Fiesta Bowl UCF vs. Baylor    Glendale, Ariz. U. of Phoenix Stadium    Jan. 1 8:30 p.m.

Thursday January 2nd
Allstate Sugar Bowl Oklahoma vs. Alabama    New Orleans Louisiana Superdome    Jan. 2 8:30 p.m.

Friday January 3rd
Discover Orange Bowl Clemson vs. Ohio State    Miami Sun Life Stadium    Jan. 3 8:30 p.m.
AT&T Cotton Bowl Oklahoma State vs. Missouri    Arlington, Texas  AT&T Stadium    Jan. 3 7:30 p.m.

Saturday January 4th
BBVA Compass Bowl - Vanderbilt vs. Houston    Birmingham, Ala. Legion Field    Jan. 4 1 p.m.
GoDaddy Bowl - Arkansas State vs. Ball State    Mobile, Ala. Ladd-Peebles Stadium    Jan. 5 9 p.m.

Monday January 6th
VIZIO BCS National Championship
No. 1 Florida State vs. No. 2 Auburn    Pasadena, Calif. Rose Bowl    Jan. 6 8:30 p.m.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Crete Boom on December 10, 2013, 12:41:17 PM

I would love us to have a fast small guy like Moreno/Rice/Jones Drew/Sproules to give us another option and to take some of the attention off Forte who as you said can get it done at the goal line but can also cut to the outside or inside! I like the way the Niners have Kendal Hunter get some big plays when Gore is getting a rest , we just don't have this at the moment and that is my biggest probelm with Bush.

God even an old man Urlacher would be massive for us on D at the moment but time moves on ( money as always talks) and I suppose D.J. Williams was suppose to be some cover but he's crocked at the moment too.

Michael Bush must have been reading our criticism! that was a fine 40 yard trundle for a score. Jay's return was typical Cutler. Some bad throws and some lasers. Got in done in 4th quarter though so hopes still alive. I wonder are Lance and Peanut far off coming back?

AZOffaly

Never mind that. The Cardinals gave another Cardiac Cards episode last night, with absolutely no need for it. They were winning 34-17 after a pick six with 6:22 left. Tennessee didn't score until 3:17 left, to leave 10 points in it. No bother. Then the Cards went 3 and out, and the Titans took advantage of ridiculously soft coverage to go back down and kick a 24 yard field goal with 52 seconds left. Ah well, dicey but no big deal. Until the Titans recovered the bloody onside kick, marched down the field and tied the game with a TD with 8 seconds left. It was so easy for them, and the air was definitely out of the Arizona balloon. Then if they didn't bejaysus intercept Fitzpatrick again in Overtime, and took it down the field for Feely to kick the game winner from 41 yards. I don't know if many teams could have come back from such an absolute let down, but fair play they did.

Guaranteed at least 9 wins now, and I'm delighted with that. Finishing up away to Seattle and home to the Niners is far from ideal, but I'm glad they'll finish at worst 9-7. That's a good season in a very tough division. If they lose to them two, they'll end up 1-5 in the division, and 8-2 out of it.

The Iceman

Everything still to play for with a lot of teams in the hunt for their spot. I don't see any clear favourites (maybe the Seahawks?) so will be an exciting next few weeks!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 16, 2013, 03:48:58 PM
For those of you who are going to kick back and watch a bit of College Football over the Christmas and New Year, here's the list of Bowl Games. BCS Bowls in Bold......

All times Eastern US.

Saturday Dec 21st...

Gildan New Mexico Bowl - Washington State vs. Colorado State    Albuquerque, N.M. University Stadium    Dec. 21 2 p.m.
Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl - Fresno State vs. USC    Las Vegas Sam Boyd Stadium    Dec. 21 3:30 p.m.
Famous Idaho Potato Bowl - Buffalo vs. San Diego State    Boise, Idaho Bronco Stadium    Dec. 21 5:30 p.m.
R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl - Tulane vs. Louisiana-Lafayette    New Orleans Mercedes-Benz Superdome    Dec. 21 9 p.m.

Monday December 23rd

Beef 'O' Brady's St. Petersburg Bowl - East Carolina vs. Ohio    St. Petersburg, Fla. Tropicana Field    Dec. 23 2 p.m.

Christmas Eve December 24th

Sheraton Hawaii Bowl - Boise State vs. Oregon State    Honolulu Aloha Stadium    Dec. 24 8 p.m.

Saint Stephen's Day December 26th
Little Caesars Pizza Bowl - Pittsburgh vs. Bowling Green    Detroit Ford Field    Dec. 26 6 p.m.
S.D. County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl - Utah State vs. Northern Illinois    San Diego Qualcomm Stadium    Dec. 26 9:30 p.m.

Friday December 27th
Military Bowl Presented By Northrop Grumman - Marshall vs. Maryland    Annapolis, Md. Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium    Dec. 27 2:30 p.m.
Texas Bowl - Syracuse vs. Minnesota    Houston Reliant Stadium    Dec. 27 6 p.m.
Fight Hunger Bowl - BYU vs. Washington    San Francisco AT&T Park    Dec. 27 9:30 p.m.

Saturday December 28th
New Era Pinstripe Bowl - Rutgers vs. Notre Dame    Bronx, N.Y. Yankee Stadium    Dec. 28 Noon
Belk Bowl - Cincinnati vs. North Carolina    Charlotte, N.C. Bank of America Stadium    Dec. 28 3:20 p.m.
Russell Athletic Bowl - Miami vs. Louisville    Orlando, Fla. Florida Citrus Bowl    Dec. 28 6:45 p.m.
Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl  - Michigan vs. Kansas State    Tempe, Ariz.  Sun Devil Stadium    Dec. 28 10:15 p.m.

Monday December 30th
Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl - Middle Tennessee vs. Navy    Fort Worth, Texas Amon G. Carter Stadium    Dec. 30 11:45 a.m.
Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl - Ole Miss vs. Georgia Tech    Nashville, Tenn. LP Field    Dec. 30 3:15 p.m.
Valero Alamo Bowl - Oregon vs. Texas    San Antonio Alamodome    Dec. 30 6:45 p.m.
National University Holiday Bowl - Arizona State vs. Texas Tech    San Diego Qualcomm Stadium    Dec. 30 10:15 p.m.

New Years Eve December 31st
AdvoCare V100 Bowl - Arizona vs. Boston College    Shreveport, La. Independence Stadium    Dec. 31 12:30 p.m.
Hyundai Sun Bowl - Virginia Tech vs. UCLA    El Paso, Texas Sun Bowl    Dec. 31 2 p.m.
AutoZone Liberty Bowl - Rice vs. Mississippi State    Memphis, Tenn. Liberty Bowl    Dec. 31 4 p.m.
Chick-fil-A Bowl - Duke vs. Texas A&M    Atlanta Georgia Dome    Dec. 31 8 p.m.

New Years Day January 1st
TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl - Nebraska vs. Georgia    Jacksonville, Fla. Everbank Field    Jan. 1 Noon
Heart of Dallas Bowl - UNLV vs. North Texas    Dallas Cotton Bowl    Jan. 1 Noon
Capital One Bowl - Wisconsin vs. South Carolina    Orlando, Fla. Florida Citrus Bowl    Jan. 1 1 p.m.
Outback Bowl - Iowa vs. LSU    Tampa, Fla. Raymond James Stadium    Jan. 1 1 p.m.
Rose Bowl Game presented by VIZIO Stanford vs. Michigan State    Pasadena, Calif. Rose Bowl    Jan. 1 5 p.m.    
Tostitos Fiesta Bowl UCF vs. Baylor    Glendale, Ariz. U. of Phoenix Stadium    Jan. 1 8:30 p.m.

Thursday January 2nd
Allstate Sugar Bowl Oklahoma vs. Alabama    New Orleans Louisiana Superdome    Jan. 2 8:30 p.m.

Friday January 3rd
Discover Orange Bowl Clemson vs. Ohio State    Miami Sun Life Stadium    Jan. 3 8:30 p.m.
AT&T Cotton Bowl Oklahoma State vs. Missouri    Arlington, Texas  AT&T Stadium    Jan. 3 7:30 p.m.

Saturday January 4th
BBVA Compass Bowl - Vanderbilt vs. Houston    Birmingham, Ala. Legion Field    Jan. 4 1 p.m.
GoDaddy Bowl - Arkansas State vs. Ball State    Mobile, Ala. Ladd-Peebles Stadium    Jan. 5 9 p.m.

Monday January 6th
VIZIO BCS National Championship
No. 1 Florida State vs. No. 2 Auburn    Pasadena, Calif. Rose Bowl    Jan. 6 8:30 p.m.

It was sad (but expected) that the Sugar Bowl selected the Sooners to play the Tide over Oregon, a game everyone outside OU wanted to see.

Never really that pushed about bowl season outside of Auburn and the Tide's games and the title game - (the lower tier's play-offs mean much more in the grand scheme of things - but the warm-up game at the Rose Bowl on New Year's Day between Stanford and Sparty seems like it could be a good one. Have Cook and that offense turned a corner? If they have the Spartans will be challenging for the top table next year.

Gabriel_Hurl

HBO's 24/7 Road to the Winter Classic started over the weekend leading up to the game between the Red Wings and Maple Leafs at Michigan Stadium on January 1st. They are anticipating a crowd of over 100,000 for the game

Crete Boom

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 16, 2013, 03:58:22 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on December 10, 2013, 12:41:17 PM

Michael Bush must have been reading our criticism! that was a fine 40 yard trundle for a score. Jay's return was typical Cutler. Some bad throws and some lasers. Got in done in 4th quarter though so hopes still alive. I wonder are Lance and Peanut far off coming back?

Yeah Seanie I was watching it with my brother I had just been saying how shite Bush has been and then he rumbles into the end zone. Cutler was well , just Cutler but I do think he could prosper under Triesman. Hopefully Tillman and Briggs will be back soon and we finally get a bit of luck to sneak into the playoffs.

magpie seanie

We need Baltimore to win tonight. Then it's back in the Bears hands.