American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linkbox

Caught the final quarter. Unbelievable ending.

thejuice

Falcons should be good for a top 4 pick this year if we didn't give them away for Julio Jones. Hopefully we have one next season.

The only thing our Oline could block is a toilet. No decent pass rush despite bringing in Osi, a suspect secondary, no threat from our line backers and a banged up running back. A lot of holes to fill in the off season.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

deiseach

Quote from: Syferus on November 17, 2013, 12:41:54 AM
Auburn beat Georgia in one of the most incredible games I've ever seen. Down two points, fourth and forever in their own half and with 30 ticks left and this happens? Unreal.

One more game to go..

The noise!

Syferus

Quote from: deiseach on November 18, 2013, 11:48:52 AM
Auburn beat Georgia in one of the most incredible games I've ever seen. Down two points, fourth and forever in their own half and with 30 ticks left and this happens? Unreal.

One more game to go..

The noise!

If ever there was a moment that could make you believe in a team's destiny that was that. If the pass was even just incomplete Auburn's season was done; their shot at the SEC West title against Bama would have evaporated, as would their chance of making the SEC and BSC title games.

If they pull off one more piece of magic in the Iron Bowl Auburn will look back at that play as seminal moment in the program's storied history.

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on November 18, 2013, 05:39:55 PM
If they pull off one more piece of magic in the Iron Bowl Auburn will look back at that play as seminal moment in the program's storied history.

Or, you know, the championship they already won three years ago.

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on November 18, 2013, 06:37:34 PM

?

For one, that was only their second ever national title. That would have absolutely no bearing on whether or not this year could be special for the Tigers, particularly given their decline in the last two years.

Auburn lost pretty much all the key players of the 2011 BSC national title to the draft that April so there's been very little carry-over apart form a few seniors and redshirt seniors.

stringbean

Quote from: deiseach on November 18, 2013, 11:48:52 AM

One more game to go..

I've no doubt that if auburn could pull it off it would be much greater than their 2010 national title win particularly as the 2010 class had some outstanding individuals, just can't see it though Syferus.

Alabama will load the box with 8 possibly 9 guys in the box  and unless there's a deep threat will eventually stiffle the run. nMore importantly there is no way I can see Alabama giving up 40+ points so the Auburn defence needs to step up big time.

Hope I'm wrong though, fed up looking at Saban lol
The noise!

If ever there was a moment that could make you believe in a team's destiny that was that. If the pass was even just incomplete Auburn's season was done; their shot at the SEC West title against Bama would have evaporated, as would their chance of making the SEC and BSC title games.

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on November 18, 2013, 07:27:22 PM

?

For one, that was only their second ever national title. That would have absolutely no bearing on whether or not this year could be special for the Tigers, particularly given their decline in the last two years.

Auburn lost pretty much all the key players of the 2011 BSC national title to the draft that April so there's been very little carry-over apart form a few seniors and redshirt seniors.

Given it's college football, that turnover is normal. You said if they win the Iron Bowl, a fluke play that was really a defensive c**k-up would become the "seminal moment" in the entire program's history. I dispute that.

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on November 18, 2013, 10:15:44 PM

?

Given it's college football, that turnover is normal. You said if they win the Iron Bowl, a fluke play that was really a defensive c**k-up would become the "seminal moment" in the entire program's history. I dispute that.

Doesn't matter what the play was, it was a hinge that the entire season rested on. If they beat Bama in what very-literally is the highest stakes Iron Bowl in history that play against Georgia will enter Auburn and college folklore.

Gabriel_Hurl

Well - there's the whole thing of having to actually BEAT Alabama

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on November 19, 2013, 12:20:19 AM

?

Doesn't matter what the play was, it was a hinge that the entire season rested on. If they beat Bama in what very-literally is the highest stakes Iron Bowl in history that play against Georgia will enter Auburn and college folklore.

In their 2010 season, they were 24-0 down in the Iron Bowl and rallied to win it on their way to the title, led by a Heisman winner and #1 draft pick. I'd consider that more defining than Saturday's play.

If they somehow beat Bama but then don't go on to win anything, does it still become the "seminal moment" in program history?!

The Iceman

Draw a line in the sand lads, Gallsman is right on this one!

Now what about that reversed call on the Gronk last night in the end zone????
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Muck Savage

While they may not have many of the players from 2011 the carry-over is still there in the recruited players that they picked up that year and 2012 these recruits go to winning programs with a view to winning a title. Most teams have a pretty big turnover, look at Alabama and the number of 1st round draft picks last year 3, and 4 1st rounders in 2012. That's part of college football.

I don't like Alabama for a host of reasons but honestly can't see Auburn get within 15 pts of them in a few weeks. Auburn have come out the right end of too many one score games and another year could have 4 losses.

Also, what is it about Auburn and picking up QB's from other colleges?

Syferus

?

A seminal moment, not the seminal moment.

Quote from: Muck Savage on November 19, 2013, 10:32:46 PM

While they may not have many of the players from 2011 the carry-over is still there in the recruited players that they picked up that year and 2012 these recruits go to winning programs with a view to winning a title. Most teams have a pretty big turnover, look at Alabama and the number of 1st round draft picks last year 3, and 4 1st rounders in 2012. That's part of college football.

I don't like Alabama for a host of reasons but honestly can't see Auburn get within 15 pts of them in a few weeks. Auburn have come out the right end of too many one score games and another year could have 4 losses.

Also, what is it about Auburn and picking up QB's from other colleges?

It's a common situation in college ball, players don't get picked up by major programs or don't get the chance to play while there and then switch to junior colleges and make enough noise for major programs to pick them up. It's the closest thing to college free agency. It's much easier to get a dispensation to transfer to a big program after one season if you're playing at a lower level, you'd usually have to wait two years or even sit a year if you were switching between top-tier programs.

Aaron Rodgers attended and played for a community college his freshman year before transferring to Cal.

cadhlancian

Surprised no comments on last nights farcical ending. What a f**king joke. Probably one of the worst " no calls" in NFL history. Definitely the worst one I've personally seen :-\