American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenC

2 NBA teams haven't managed to score 100 points yet this year - the 0-8 Jazz and the 8-0 Pacers.

The Pacers defence has picked up from where it left off last year but the real difference is the bench. CJ Watson and Scola have made such a massive difference and bringing the second unit is no longer a sign that the team is going to be outscored by 8-10 in the next while. Particularly Watson - he's steady and can keep his defender honest.
I think this is going to be a great season to be a Pacers fan.

Linkbox

Quote from: The Iceman on November 12, 2013, 05:47:40 PM
Great to see the Bucs win last night - interesting week in NFL - thoroughly enjoyed a lot of the games!

The Dolphins are done for the year after that Incognito fiasco.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Linkbox on November 13, 2013, 09:27:04 PM
Great to see the Bucs win last night - interesting week in NFL - thoroughly enjoyed a lot of the games!

I hope they don't win another game. The way they circled the wagons around Incognito was something I found sickening.

AZOffaly

I wonder was Incognito a patsy. It's very strange that basically ALL the Dolphins have come out and said that Incognito was a grand lad, and a leader blah blah blah. This, to me, reeks of the Dolphins suspending Incognito (who is a dirty hoor) because they are trying to avoid a scandal. Maybe an investigation of what goes on there would show that his treatment of Martin was not just tolerated, but maybe actively encouraged.

Syferus

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 14, 2013, 09:49:59 AM

I hope they don't win another game. The way they circled the wagons around Incognito was something I found sickening.

There seems to be a lot mor to this story than Martin good guy, Incognito bad guy

Linkbox

Quote from: Syferus on November 14, 2013, 10:21:09 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 14, 2013, 09:49:59 AM

There seems to be a lot mor to this story than Martin good guy, Incognito bad guy

Agree Syferus. The texts are very interesting. Martin said he doesn't blame him in one of the last ones. They sent 1000+ messages in the last two years or something like that. Very weird.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 14, 2013, 10:12:16 AM
I wonder was Incognito a patsy. It's very strange that basically ALL the Dolphins have come out and said that Incognito was a grand lad, and a leader blah blah blah. This, to me, reeks of the Dolphins suspending Incognito (who is a dirty hoor) because they are trying to avoid a scandal. Maybe an investigation of what goes on there would show that his treatment of Martin was not just tolerated, but maybe actively encouraged.
I'd be slow to point the finger at the Dolphins. The hazing of rookies seems to be what happens at every club. There was complaints by Martin of being landed with bills of thousands of dollars on restaurants and hotels, but apparently that's very common. The rookies are exploited and that's the way it is. Larry Fitzgerald said that in his first year he spent over $15k "looking after the veterans" and he was fine with it.

The messages when heard in isolation sound awful, but again I bet that's the type of "banter" that happens at every team.

Its all a load of nonsense of course, and shouldnt be acceptable, but as I said I bet it happens at nearly every team and it should be all of them not just the Dolphins that change their ways.

AZOffaly

Sorry, I think you're 100% correct. I was talking about the Dolphins specifically in this case, and maybe this went beyond the pale a bit, but I'm sure any investigation, taken out of the 'locker room' context into any NFL team would show similar situations.

stringbean

Quote from: Syferus on November 10, 2013, 10:26:11 PM
Quote from: stringbean on November 10, 2013, 08:29:14 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 10, 2013, 12:42:33 AM
Exciting times in Auburn, they cruised past Arkansas and the Vols (both away) and now only Georgia stands between them and what would be a monumental Iron Bowl at home to Bama.

Georgia is a huge rivalry game in itself for Auburn so they need to be fully focused on the Bulldogs or their season could take a nasty turn. They'll have two weeks to prepare for Bama's arrival as they have a bye week after the Georgia game.

Looking forward to LSU @ Bama tonight, the Tide's only other serious challenge between now and the end of the regular season.

Can't see auburn challengin bama, their too one dimensional so saban has between an the last game of the season to focus on stoppin the run game. Think florida state are the only team able to stop bama winnin another national title

While I agree - Auburn would need to show more in the passing game against the Tide to have any hope, Saban loves to stop a team's main weapon (in Auburn's case, a stellar option offense) and see if they have enough to still be within an ass' roar of Bama - strange things happen in the Iron Bowl. Just look at the 2010 edition where Cam led Auburn from 24-7 down at HT to win in Bryant-Denny in the game that sent Auburn to their SEC and BSC national titles.

Interestingly enough historically Bama's toughest challenges have came from teams with dynamic running/option offenses. I think it could be a hell of a game.

I agree that anything can happen in a local rivalry (who seen the result in the red river rivalry game coming this year), however the difference between 2010 and now is Auburn had Cam Newton and a defensive line who where animals, I just don't see the same difference makers in this Auburn team. Still have memories of the 2010 game, best game by a qb I've ever seen!

Average slate of games on this week!

Syferus

Quote from: stringbean on November 14, 2013, 01:26:05 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 10, 2013, 10:26:11 PM
Quote from: stringbean on November 10, 2013, 08:29:14 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 10, 2013, 12:42:33 AM
Exciting times in Auburn, they cruised past Arkansas and the Vols (both away) and now only Georgia stands between them and what would be a monumental Iron Bowl at home to Bama.

Georgia is a huge rivalry game in itself for Auburn so they need to be fully focused on the Bulldogs or their season could take a nasty turn. They'll have two weeks to prepare for Bama's arrival as they have a bye week after the Georgia game.

Looking forward to LSU @ Bama tonight, the Tide's only other serious challenge between now and the end of the regular season.

Can't see auburn challengin bama, their too one dimensional so saban has between an the last game of the season to focus on stoppin the run game. Think florida state are the only team able to stop bama winnin another national title

While I agree - Auburn would need to show more in the passing game against the Tide to have any hope, Saban loves to stop a team's main weapon (in Auburn's case, a stellar option offense) and see if they have enough to still be within an ass' roar of Bama - strange things happen in the Iron Bowl. Just look at the 2010 edition where Cam led Auburn from 24-7 down at HT to win in Bryant-Denny in the game that sent Auburn to their SEC and BSC national titles.

Interestingly enough historically Bama's toughest challenges have came from teams with dynamic running/option offenses. I think it could be a hell of a game.

I agree that anything can happen in a local rivalry (who seen the result in the red river rivalry game coming this year), however the difference between 2010 and now is Auburn had Cam Newton and a defensive line who where animals, I just don't see the same difference makers in this Auburn team. Still have memories of the 2010 game, best game by a qb I've ever seen!

Average slate of games on this week!

Nick Marshall - particularly when aided by a RB as good as Tre Mason - is the key cog in an option attack just as good as Cam's, if not better.  It's just he doesn't have or hasn't shown an aptitude for making the sorts of throws that made Cam the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

Auburn have a huge rivalry game this week too, they cannot afford to take Georgia for granted, even at Jordan-Hare.

AZOffaly

I think Georgia will give Auburn all they can handle. They are getting important players back, and I like Aaron Murray at QB.

Syferus

Auburn beat Georgia in one of the most incredible games I've ever seen. Down two points, fourth and forever in their own half and with 30 ticks left and this happens? Unreal.

One more game to go..

magpie seanie

The DB's should be shot, especially the guy coming over who sees the full picture.

Minder

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 17, 2013, 02:03:09 AM
The DB's should be shot, especially the guy coming over who sees the full picture.

Surely there should have been a safety about the 20 yd line, incase he did make a catch, not two DBs going for the same ball
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Syferus on November 17, 2013, 12:41:54 AM
Auburn beat Georgia in one of the most incredible games I've ever seen. Down two points, fourth and forever in their own half and with 30 ticks left and this happens? Unreal.

One more game to go..

Watched that game which was excellent although the Michigan vs Northwestern was a better game to watch, two teams battle in the defensive pits to a win in 3 overtimes.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014