American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealSpiritof98

Looks pretty solid, id have 49ers above chiefs, but with so many teams it hard to make everyone happy.

Syferus

Really, really ecstatic with Auburn's revival under Malzahn this year. Winning at College Station ended A&M's title hopes and opened the door for Auburn to make a run at the division, SEC and national titles.

Arkanas this weekend and the Vols next week, both away. They could be banana skins but the real test will be the rivalry game against Georgia the week after but the Bulldogs' season has come apart at the seems and they have to travel to Jordan-Hare - when Auburn are going well that's one hell of a home field advantage.

If they do the business in those three games.. Bama at Jordan-Hare in the Iron Bowl as the final game of the regular season will take on a life of its own. It would essentially be a de facto national title quarter-final, nevermind providing passage to the SEC title game for the winner. The Iron Bowl is one of the great college rivalry games and this year's meeting could be one of the biggest of all-time.

I just hope Auburn win out, Bama don't need any luck to do likewise.

AZOffaly

The Auburn story has been great this year alright. I was just looking at the BCS standings there. It'd be some semi final lineup if the playoffs started this weekend instead of next year.   

#1 Alabama v #4 Ohio State
#2 Oregon v #3 Florida State

As good as Auburns story is, Florida State is unreal. Urban Maeir is still unbeaten at Ohio, but this year they are bowl and BCS eligible. Oregon have been so close and the Tide are a dynasty at this stage. I can't wait for some of the games coming up.

GalwayBayBoy

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 31, 2013, 05:18:35 PM
My current NFL Power rankings after 8 weeks. What do ye think? Basically you can read it that I think the team at #31 would beat the team at #32 in a hypothetical 5 game series at a neutral venue. So some teams that have beaten others will still be below them because maybe it was at home, or they've picked up injuries or whatever.

Record
1   Denver Broncos         7-1
2   New Orleans Saints         6-1
3   Seattle Seahawks         7-1
4   Kansas City Chiefs         8-0
5   San Francisco 49ers         6-2
6   Green Bay Packers         5-2
7   Indianapolis Colts         5-2
8   Cincinatti Bengals         6-2
9   New England Patriots      6-2
10   Detroit Lions                 5-3
11   Dallas Cowboys         4-4
12   Chicago Bears                 4-3
13   San Diego Chargers         4-3
14   Baltimore Ravens         3-4
15   Carolina Panthers         4-3
16   Tennessee Titans         3-4
17   Oakland Raiders         3-4
18   Arizona Cardinals         4-4
19   Washington Redskins      2-5
20   Saint Louis Rams         3-5
21   Miami Dolphins                 3-4
22   New York Jets                 4-4
23   Buffalo Bills                 3-5
24   Pittsburgh Steelers         2-5
25   Cleveland Browns         3-5
26   Philadelphia Eagles         3-5
27   New York Giants         2-6
28   Atlanta Falcons         2-5
29   Houston Texans         2-5
30   Minnesota Vikings         1-6
31   Tampa Bay Buccaneers      0-7
32   Jacksonville Jaguars         0-8

Not a lot to argue with there. I'd have NO ahead of Denver just now and I think the 'niners and Seahawks will be come the playoffs. Can't wait for the two KC v. Den games upcoming.

I also think you're very low on the Panthers. They'd be borderline top 10 for me, probably ahead of my beloved (but currently toothless) Bears.

New England must be the worst 6-2 team in NFL history. How does Belichick do it?

Edit - one word made the meaning of what I said the total opposite. Am not completely sold on Denver, think New Orleans are a tougher team to beat (though somehow New England managed it).

AZOffaly

I spent a lot of time over the Panthers. I can't get rid of the sight of the Cardinals giving them a beating. Now I rank them ahead of the Card on my basis of 5 game neutral venue criteria, but the way the Cardinals took the Panther offense out of the game makes me a little bit wary of them. They've done what you should be doing, which is trimming bad teams, especially at home, but they have lost to the Bills and Cardinals on the road. Week 10 at San Francisco is probably a good chance for them to make a statement about themselves either way.

gallsman

Would put the Seahawks ahead of the Saints. Young and yet to be really tested this year but am convinced they'll come good. Can't wait to see what Harvin brings to them, assuming he returns in good shape.

AZOffaly

Yeah, the top 4 or even 5 are probably interchangeable, but given my caveat of the 'neutral' site, I'm not sure the Seahawks would beat the Saints 3 times out of 5. If it was up in Seattle, I'd have them winning at least 4.

AZOffaly

Just on the Pats 6-2. They will probably stabilise and win the division with 11-5 or something like that, but I think they were blessed with their early season schedule. Bills, Jets (at their lowest probably), Buccs and Falcons meant a 4-0 start. Since then they are 2-2 with losses to the Bengals and a better Jets team. Their best win of the season is the Saints win at home. However even the Miami win last week wasn't straightforward. I know your record doesn't lie, but I do think it's being economical with the truth at least in the Pats' case.

Having said all that, the rest of their schedule isn't exactly fearsome.
Steelers at home
Panthers away (that will be a big test for both teams)
Broncos at home
Texans away
Browns at home
Dolphins away
Ravens away
Bills at home.

I think if they beat the Steelers this week they will go 10-6 at the very least.

Syferus

I would love to see Cam in the playoffs, he's doing wonders with some very strangling GMing on the offensive side of the ball. At least the defense is coming through a bit this year.

magpie seanie

Patriots would want to improve - that's not all that straighforward. They're lucky to have those 6 wins on the board. Is Brady hurt? he has been "Tom terrible" so far (please God let him not "go off" this weekend with me playing AZ!!!).

AZOffaly

Terrible Tom is one of the many reasons why my title defense has been an unmitigated disaster. 1-7, and lucky to get 1. But I will keep grinding, so you'll get nothing handed to you :)

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 01, 2013, 11:35:48 AM
Terrible Tom is one of the many reasons why my title defense has been an unmitigated disaster. 1-7, and lucky to get 1. But I will keep grinding, so you'll get nothing handed to you :)

I know well! These bye weeks are a killer. Marvin Jones' TD streak was broken last night (he performed about how I expected to be fair). He had one chalked of for a holding penalty - hope that's not a sign of things to come for this weekend.

deiseach

Quote from: deiseach on October 17, 2013, 02:59:33 PM
This probably captures the moment better:

And the circle is complete.

stew

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.