American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Great nights entertainment but Lord Jaysus those breaks annoy the shite ouuta me

magpie seanie

Going over with a few lads to the Jags/49ers game in October. The Steelers/Vikings game is too close to All-Ireland weekend and a wedding so had to plump for the less attractive matchup but looking forward to it nonetheless.

Puckoon

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 13, 2013, 04:15:28 PM
Fair Cop Puck. I have been hard on Kapernick and I think Alex Smith got a raw enough old deal there, but Alex Smith would not have made the plays Kapernick did last night. He looked excellent so fair play to him. I still have doubts about him in this league, but he threw the ball a lot better than I gave him credit for last night.

Ah I'm just pulling your chain. Although I would say he is far from the finished article - I wonder why you might still have doubts about his ability in the league? I know we had a bit of craic back in the 2010 heisman run in, but this is a kid who threw, and ran, for 1000+ yards in 3 successive seasons. I think he will keep improving, and if he can reduce the errors he will be a major QB in the league in coming years. A much more explosive option than AS.

The Iceman

I'd like to see the 49ers do it this year. Can't bring myself to cheer for the Patriots or the Falcons after beating the Hawks so I'll have to cheer on me auld mate Eamonn's team.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

AZOffaly

Quote from: Puckoon on January 14, 2013, 05:33:13 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 13, 2013, 04:15:28 PM
Fair Cop Puck. I have been hard on Kapernick and I think Alex Smith got a raw enough old deal there, but Alex Smith would not have made the plays Kapernick did last night. He looked excellent so fair play to him. I still have doubts about him in this league, but he threw the ball a lot better than I gave him credit for last night.

Ah I'm just pulling your chain. Although I would say he is far from the finished article - I wonder why you might still have doubts about his ability in the league? I know we had a bit of craic back in the 2010 heisman run in, but this is a kid who threw, and ran, for 1000+ yards in 3 successive seasons. I think he will keep improving, and if he can reduce the errors he will be a major QB in the league in coming years. A much more explosive option than AS.

Main doubts I would have are his durability. He looks like a long, lean, athletic type and he runs like a gazelle. Unfortunately there's a lot of lions in the long grass in the NFL and I'd wonder if he might take a beating.

His throwing mechanism looked great to me the other night, his height helps there and he threw lovely spirals with a quick release. I was surprised by that.

Puckoon

I'd like to see him take a bit of the flatness off some of his short passes - those could be a bit more easily cut out - and with his height there's no real need for it. His long ball is impressive, and considering he threw a 95mph fast ball in college, my concern is he's going to bust some fingers. He really hurt Randy Moss with a ball he fired at him during the MNF game vs the Bears. All in all, I think some of his bad throws come from throwing the thing too hard.

bootboy

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

GalwayBayBoy

magpie seanie

Crazy altogether. Part of me thinks this doesn't add up but then I think it's just nuts enough that it could be true that Te'o wasn't part of the hoax.

Hound

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 17, 2013, 09:31:57 AM
Crazy altogether. Part of me thinks this doesn't add up but then I think it's just nuts enough that it could be true that Te'o wasn't part of the hoax.
Hard to believe he wasn't in on it. But I'd imagine it'll come out shortly as it looks like they know who the joker is.

So he's either very thick for falling for this for over a year, and a pretty nasty manipulative person who thinks everyone else is thick!

I think the last mock draft I read in the Bleacher Report during the week had him being pick no.7 this year, heading to AZ!

magpie seanie