American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: stew on November 30, 2012, 12:17:07 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 27, 2012, 03:11:13 PM
Stew - NFC North will probably come down to December 16th in Soldier Field. If da Bears can win and square the divisional series it makes it tough for the Packers to win the division. Both will be tough playoff teams though I fancy.

The Pack own the bears Seanie, they will be a lot healthier and I am putting the $230.00 I won on them to beat them at Soldiers Field.

Character counts for a lot, Rodgers has it and Cutler does not, I would take Rodgers all day long before I would put any faith in that w**ker Cutler.

How would Rodgers do behind the Bears offensive line? Not much better if any I'd suggest. Look how good Matt Flynn looked in the Packers passing game, 5 td's in one game last year was it? He goes to Seattle and....loses the starting job competition to a rookie.

Cutler's body language impresses no-one but to be fair to the guy he has to work in pretty tough conditions. Even Jason Campbell, who was a serviceable enough QB for Oakland looked chronic playing for da Bears. Cutler is a bloody good player and I for one can't criticise him for expecting his linemen to protect him.

I wouldn't think that game is clearcut by any means. Pack on a good run against da Bears alright but all those wins were tight enough games. Bears due one. Keep your dollars in your pocket!

Gabriel_Hurl

Really scary sad news out of Kansas City this morning

LB Lavon Belcher shot himself in the head outside the practice facility this morning. There are stories he did it in front of the coaches.

He had earlier shot dead his girlfriend at their home, leaving behind a 2.5 month old baby

thejuice

That's awful to hear.

Not the first NFL player to meet a tragic ending but I can't remember something as awful as that.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

GalwayBayBoy

Amazed that the Chiefs game hasn't been postponed. Romeo Crennell is expected to coach from the sidelines tomorrow 24 hours after seeing one of his players blow his brains out in front of him.

Capt Pat

Quote from: thejuice on December 01, 2012, 07:59:49 PM
That's awful to hear.

Not the first NFL player to meet a tragic ending but I can't remember something as awful as that.

Former NFL star QB Steve McNair got murder suicided by his girl freind a year or two years back.

Puckoon

The inevitable bump came hurdling at Kaepernick and Harbaugh this weekend when they lost to the Rams. Smith might have not lost that game, it could be said. He did throw for over 200 yards and run for another 85, so it wasn't like he had a bad game. His mistake and his safety points which he gave to the rams are there though.

Anyway, this morning this article surfaced and it's dominated radio and blogs all day. Ive yet to read a dumber piece by a journalist.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-11-28/colin-kaepernick-tattoos-49ers-qb-start-alex-smith-stats-contract-draft

thejuice

They found Mark Sanchez' clip board that he was busily scribbling in last week  :D

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Gabriel_Hurl

I hope those Arizona boys are happy with that performance yesterday

Norf Tyrone

I was over in Minneapolis a few weeks back, and managed to wrangle tickets for the Vikings v Lions. I would've half watched a game the odd time previously, but the experience was so good that I'd be guilty know of checking fixtures, keeping an eye on latest scores, and of course watching the games.

Top class seats too on the half way line, on the first teir. It was rememberance Sunday too, so they'd a couple of miliatry dispays etc to keep the craic going.

I was even considering heading to Wembley for the Vikings game next year, but not sure yet.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Minder

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 10, 2012, 11:14:43 PM
I was over in Minneapolis a few weeks back, and managed to wrangle tickets for the Vikings v Lions. I would've half watched a game the odd time previously, but the experience was so good that I'd be guilty know of checking fixtures, keeping an eye on latest scores, and of course watching the games.

Top class seats too on the half way line, on the first teir. It was rememberance Sunday too, so they'd a couple of miliatry dispays etc to keep the craic going.

I was even considering heading to Wembley for the Vikings game next year, but not sure yet.

If you take a bit of time to learn the rules/intricacies of the game it is a great sport to follow.

Not just "rugby with shoulder pads and helmets" as I have heard it described.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Minder on December 10, 2012, 11:32:40 PM

If you take a bit of time to learn the rules/intricacies of the game it is a great sport to follow.

I'd know most of the rules, but it's the finer detail I'd be shabby on. Definately enough to get by and enjoy a game.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Minder

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 10, 2012, 11:41:29 PM

I'd know most of the rules, but it's the finer detail I'd be shabby on. Definately enough to get by and enjoy a game.

A big help would be the commentators/analysis too, light years ahead of what you get served up watching the Premier League - "he hit it and scored".
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

magpie seanie

Quote from: Minder on December 10, 2012, 11:43:53 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 10, 2012, 11:41:29 PM

A big help would be the commentators/analysis too, light years ahead of what you get served up watching the Premier League - "he hit it and scored".

100% right Minder, the commentary on american football is top class.

Declan

Interestingly listening to John Giles last week he said one of the things he tried to bring into his analysis of soccer games was the level of detail John Madden used go into when he was in the States in the 70s and knew nothing about American football. He said Madden's punditry really enhanced his experience of the games

gallsman

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 11, 2012, 09:22:53 AM
100% right Minder, the commentary on american football is top class.

It does get ruined somewhat by the fact that they also have to act as mouthpieces for the sponsors of the day. Imagine Gary Neville telling you the replay you just saw was brought to you by Castrol, Burger King and Krispy Kremes, quoting each of their slogans.