American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Pack V Pats for me in the superbowl, hope the Pats prevail but the Pack will do if all else fails.

The Bears will be lucky to finish third in the NFC north, the Pack and the Lions will fight tooth and nail for that Title.

The Cowboys stink and with Romo they will never win the SB, they wont even get past the second round of the playoffs, they are not good enough.

The Vikings are shite and that is great to see, a classless organization and as for the Jets...............  :) hell slap it up them, they are dreadful and hopefully the shoe sniffer gets the road this year.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

thejuice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmmnRS1tVrk

Newly christened Andre "Wrong Way" Parker take a bow.

Why did they tackle him?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thejuice

Actually it didn't matter. The ball starts on the 5 anyway. No one had a clue in the whole stadium.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

J70

Quote from: stew on September 06, 2012, 09:36:55 PM
Pack V Pats for me in the superbowl, hope the Pats prevail but the Pack will do if all else fails.

The Bears will be lucky to finish third in the NFC north, the Pack and the Lions will fight tooth and nail for that Title.

The Cowboys stink and with Romo they will never win the SB, they wont even get past the second round of the playoffs, they are not good enough.

The Vikings are shite and that is great to see, a classless organization and as for the Jets...............  :) hell slap it up them, they are dreadful and hopefully the shoe sniffer gets the road this year.

Do you not live in Green Bay??

I'd fancy them this year. Hunger should be back. But last few seasons have shown the futility of predicting Superbowl winners at this stage. Both the Giants and Packers scraped into the playoffs with impressive late-season form and continued it all the way through. Steelers did it a few years back too.

stew

Quote from: J70 on September 06, 2012, 10:15:19 PM

Do you not live in Green Bay??

I'd fancy them this year. Hunger should be back. But last few seasons have shown the futility of predicting Superbowl winners at this stage. Both the Giants and Packers scraped into the playoffs with impressive late-season form and continued it all the way through. Steelers did it a few years back too.

I do but in the late eighties when I first come over I moved to Salem, MA and went to Pats, Red Sox, Bruins & Celtics games and follow them all to this day.

I am a closet brewer & pack fan but my eldest girl is a packer fanatic, so much so I got her tickets for three home games this season, Bears, Queens and Lions.

I watch games in the basement or go out with a few mates, to me the games are far better watched anywhere but Lambeau, been there done that many times and I have no desire to go back.

magpie seanie

The Bears will be lucky to finish above the Vikings, are you really seriously suggesting this or just making a big statement looking for a reaction?

Capt Pat

Stewy gets a bit emotional about the NFC north at times. I am quie optimistic about the Vikings chances of having a big improvement on last season. Having said that it will be hard not to finish last in this division.

stew

I hardly get emotional, I just cant abide the vikings, classless shower altogether and I love it when they lose.

It's good to see Detroit getting batter and the Bears and Packers have a great rivalry, to me the queens dont belong in the NFC north and hopefully they move to LA sooner rather than later, now that I would get emotional about. :)

Capt Pat

Quote from: stew on September 07, 2012, 04:54:53 PM
I hardly get emotional, I just cant abide the vikings, classless shower altogether and I love it when they lose.

It's good to see Detroit getting batter and the Bears and Packers have a great rivalry, to me the queens dont belong in the NFC north and hopefully they move to LA sooner rather than later, now that I would get emotional about. :)
They just got a new stadium in large part from the government of Minnesota. I doubt they will make it to LA any time in the next 30 or 40 years.

Classless is the man who took the Colts from Baltimore or the man who took the Ravens to Baltimore. Harbaugh Sr is now looking to put the recently deceased Modell in the hall of fame for owners. Hall of Shame is more likely.

AZOffaly

Here we go lads, another season of sunday evenings with the red button and the couch :)

Looking forward to the Pack and 49ers later on, also to seeing Andrew Luck;s debut, he looks very relaxed in the warmup.

Declan

Eagles got out of jail last night  ;)

Interesting start alright and young Griffin started off well.

Thought this was great - http://deadspin.com/5941348/they-wont-magically-turn-you-into-a-lustful-cockmonster-chris-kluwe-explains-gay-marriage-to-the-politician-who-is-offended-by-an-nfl-player-supporting-it
You gotta love those NFL guys 

AZOffaly

Cardinals up to their old tricks against the Seahawks last night. Motoring along fairly nicely at 13-3 at half time, they turned the ball over and then gave up an 80 odd yard kick return to set up a fieldgoal and a TD respectively to make a draw out of it. Then another punt return of 50+ yards set up a 4th quarter field goal for the Seahawks. Then John Skelton did his ankle after a nightmare 3rd and 4th quarter for him. In comes Kolb, and promptly marches the Cards down the field for the go-ahead TD to Andre Roberts, 20 - 16 with about 3 minutes to go.

Jay Feeley kicks off, and this time gets a touchback so no big return. Great stuff. Rookie QB, Cards defense playing fairly well, and 80 yards to go. Well, jaysus, they only went 76 of the 80, and had 4 downs from the the 4 yard line before the Cardinals stopped them with 20 seconds left.

Cardiac Cards again.

Capt Pat

The Vikings pulled off a bit of a minor miracle last night. The fell 3 points down with 20 seconds to go and managed to get into field goal range for their rookie kicker to kick a 55 yarder to tie. Another FG won it in overtime.

RG3 was impressive but the Saints defense has to be questioned. They could be the bottom of the league defense if they don't get their act together.

RealSpiritof98

some dig, 49ers look good,  added that bit of redzone cutting edge missing from last year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VNg3ihggqE

AZOffaly

More good news for insomniacs.

The BBC has reached agreement to broadcast the National Football League's iconic Monday Night Football for the 2012 season.

Monday Night Football, which launched in the 1970s and helped build the popularity of the NFL in the United States, will be aired live by the BBC on the Red Button and will be streamed live on the BBC Sport website.

The deal means that MNF is now available to fans in the UK on a free-to-air basis. The season kicks off with a double-header next Monday (September 10), with the Cincinnati Bengals travelling to the Baltimore Ravens (kick-off at 12 midnight UK time), followed by the San Diego Chargers facing the Oakland Raiders (kick-off 3.15 a.m.)

Viewers can access BBC's Red Button service by pressing the red button on their remote from any BBC TV channel on their digital TV (including cable, satellite and Freeview). BBC Online's coverage will be available via the BBC Sports website at www.bbc.co.uk/sport.

David Murray, Head of Rights, BBC Sport, said: "We look forward to bringing Monday Night Football to our audience, who this summer have shown a great appetite for sport content via our online and red button streams. We're delighted that our relationship with the NFL continues to grow and we look forward to a great season."

In addition to MNF, BBC TV will continue to air live coverage of the Super Bowl, which is played in New Orleans on February 3, 2013; highlights of the International Series game between the New England Patriots and St Louis Rams at Wembley on Sunday October 28; and weekly playoff highlights in January.  BBC Radio will air at least one live game commentary per week on 5Live Sports Extra, beginning with the season opener between the Dallas Cowboys and Super Bowl champion New York Giants at 1.30 a.m. this Wednesday night.

"We are thrilled to be extending our relationship with the BBC in this way," said Alistair Kirkwood, Managing Director of NFLUK. "Monday Night Football is one of the jewels of the NFL season and the ability for our fans to see it free of charge is very exciting."

From Week 2 of the season, Monday Night Football will revert to its usual 1.30 a.m. start time. In Week 2 (September 17), viewers will be able to see Peyton Manning lead the Denver Broncos into battle at the Atlanta Falcons, while Week 3 features NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers taking on the Seattle Seahawks.

The full Monday Night Football schedule is:

Week 1 – Cincinnati at Baltimore; San Diego at Oakland

Week 2 – Denver at Atlanta

Week 3 – Green Bay at Seattle

Week 4 – Chicago at Dallas

Week 5 – Houston at NY Jets

Week 6 – Denver at San Diego

Week 7 – Detroit at Chicago

Week 8 – San Francisco at Arizona

Week 9 – Philadelphia at New Orleans

Week 10 – Kansas City at Pittsburgh

Week 11 – Chicago at San Francisco

Week 12 – Carolina at Philadelphia

Week 13 – NY Giants at Washington

Week 14 – Houston at New England

Week 15 – NY Jets at Tennessee

Week 16 – Atlanta at Detroit (Saturday night)

Plans for the broadcasts are still being formulated but along with the ESPN game coverage, featuring Mike Tirico and Super Bowl-winning head coach Jon Gruden, specific UK-related content will be developed. This includes possible incorporation of NFLUK's popular Inside The Huddle podcast, which regularly ranks in the Top 5 of the iTunes' chart for professional sports podcasts.

The Monday Night Football deal completes the package of NFL coverage in the UK for the 2012 season, following previous announcements that:

Sky Sports will carry Sunday double-headers and all Thursday night games throughout the regular season, plus all postseason games live, as part of a new three-year deal
    Channel 4 will air Sunday Night Football live, this year in HD

NFLUK would like to acknowledge and apologise for the frustration and uncertainty that many fans have experienced due to the late finalisation of this year's UK television line-up and thank everyone for their patience and continued support of the NFL.  NFLUK Managing Director Alistair Kirkwood is inviting fans to send in questions for a Q and A that will explain some of the issues involved in this year's TV negotiations. Further details of that will follow soon.