American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Capt Pat on February 16, 2012, 09:28:57 PM
A guy who can't really play that well being carried by the team around him

If anything he's been carrying the Knicks recently. Not them carrying him. They were a rabble a few weeks back. Stuck Lin in the team and they've won 7 in a row and that's without Carmelo Anthony and Stoudamire for a lot of those games.

gallsman

Lin fully deserved his Eastern Conference Player of the week award and has been lighting up the scene for the last ten days. However, anyone who says that the same hype would exist if he wasn't Asian-American is kidding themselves. The Knicks even held a viewing party in Chinatown for the Kings game last night. While it shouldn't overshadow his play it's definitely something worth acknowledging.

We shouldn't get high and mighty about it - if and when second generations of races who have immigrated to Ireland the last 15 years or so start to make waves in the GAA it'll be the same.

J70

Quote from: gallsman on February 16, 2012, 10:57:06 PM
Lin fully deserved his Eastern Conference Player of the week award and has been lighting up the scene for the last ten days. However, anyone who says that the same hype would exist if he wasn't Asian-American is kidding themselves. The Knicks even held a viewing party in Chinatown for the Kings game last night. While it shouldn't overshadow his play it's definitely something worth acknowledging.

We shouldn't get high and mighty about it - if and when second generations of races who have immigrated to Ireland the last 15 years or so start to make waves in the GAA it'll be the same.

His race is unquestionably a major factor. However, there would still be huge hype regardless given the records he's been setting for a rookie and the fact that it is the Knicks.

J70

I don't know, it sounds like a load of guff to me like Tebowmania. A guy who can't really play that well being carried by the team around him making a few highlight plays at the end of the game. They will also fall back into obscurity soon enough. Off field issues like being a christian or Asian Harvard graduate seem to bring more weight to their stories.

Sorry, but that's nonsense. Have you been watching the Knicks over the past ten days?

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: J70 on February 17, 2012, 02:06:13 AM
I don't know, it sounds like a load of guff to me like Tebowmania. A guy who can't really play that well being carried by the team around him making a few highlight plays at the end of the game. They will also fall back into obscurity soon enough. Off field issues like being a christian or Asian Harvard graduate seem to bring more weight to their stories.

Sorry, but that's nonsense. Have you been watching the Knicks over the past ten days?

+1

Such an uneducated remark, the numbers being drummed up by Lin cannot even be compared to the ''Tebow time'' 4th Quarter do or die stuff, plus Tebow won a National Championship and was an All-American before he even entered the NFL.  Lin has literally come from nowhere, its a great story and it will be Hollywood film before the decade is out. The bloody interesting thing is this guy keeps producing, the Garden is going to be unreal this weekend.

AZOffaly

Agree. Pure daft. On the surface this is the antoi-Tebow, apart from being a good kid. Came from nowhere, fundamentally very sound, and executing with precision. Tebow was a college legend, but fundamentally very flawed, and made as many bad plays as good plays, in fact probably more.

Dinny Breen

I love this story and I loved the Tebow (different I know) story - I am just a big sports romantic....

The point I am making is that this could have been an opportunity to focus on something other than race, there are so many brilliant angles to this story but everything is focused on his race even the NBA/Knicks are trying to exploit this - I just think that we will never move forward if the media continuously focus on race and negative stereotypes - just look at the fortune cookie above. The Harvard angle/class issue and is rise from nowhere is what that fascinates me the most yet the WWW is just inundated with articles around his race.....

#newbridgeornowhere

J70

At some point though the barrier will be broken for all races and the racial angle won't be a story.  And the Asian community is genuinely seizing upon Lin as they haven't had such a high profile sports represntative anywhere before. His race is absolutely part of the story and can't be ignored. Next time a chinese or korean american kid makes the breakthrough, it won't be.

AZOffaly

Quote from: J70 on February 17, 2012, 11:36:40 AM
At some point though the barrier will be broken for all races and the racial angle won't be a story.  And the Asian community is genuinely seizing upon Lin as they haven't had such a high profile sports represntative anywhere before. His race is absolutely part of the story and can't be ignored. Next time a chinese or korean american kid makes the breakthrough, it won't be.

Surely all the asian players in MLB would have been high profile sports representative for them. Or is it because Lin is actually an American kid with Asian heritage? Ichiro, Nomo and any amount of other Asian baseball players have been around for a while.

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 17, 2012, 01:03:40 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 17, 2012, 11:36:40 AM

Surely all the asian players in MLB would have been high profile sports representative for them. Or is it because Lin is actually an American kid with Asian heritage? Ichiro, Nomo and any amount of other Asian baseball players have been around for a while.

The Yankees had Matsui, so an Asian star in NY sports isn't new. Maybe it is the child of immigrants thing, along with the rest of the story of his improbable rise. Could be the sport itself too. Whatever it is, Asian-American young people seem to be seizing upon it.

Capt Pat

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 17, 2012, 09:42:53 AM

Agree. Pure daft. On the surface this is the antoi-Tebow, apart from being a good kid. Came from nowhere, fundamentally very sound, and executing with precision. Tebow was a college legend, but fundamentally very flawed, and made as many bad plays as good plays, in fact probably more.
Have I hit a raw nerve with some of you? It is the same thing though. Another media built hype machine. It is sports and I say let them get on with it without all the hype. It could backfire on them when or if they have a bad run of luck or whatever. The media loves to build people up and knock them down.

I don't really know about Lin or the NBA before I see all this Linsanity guff and guff is what it is. The hype machine running ahead of the real story is a turn off for me.

J70

Quote from: Capt Pat on February 17, 2012, 04:07:07 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 17, 2012, 09:42:53 AM

Have I hit a raw nerve with some of you? It is the same thing though. Another media built hype machine. It is sports and I say let them get on with it without all the hype. It could backfire on them when or if they have a bad run of luck or whatever. The media loves to build people up and knock them down.

I don't really know about Lin or the NBA before I see all this Linsanity guff and guff is what it is. The hype machine running ahead of the real story is a turn off for me.

No, not touched a nerve, just obviously not knowing what you're talking about. You said he's a guy who can't play and is being carried by the team. That is utter nonsense as anyone who has been watching him will know and the record-breaking statistics for his first games will show He is the reason the Knicks suddenly have a serious team. His play has transformed them completely. Whether that will continue remains to be seen as the Knicks best player, Carmello Anthony, is about to return and no one knows how well he will adapt to the fast-break, D'Antoni offense that has suddenly appeared and worked since Lin came into the team.

As for the hype, fair enough, but sports is always headline news, even more so when an ethnic or racial barrier is being broken on top of all the other issues in this story.

And no one is saying Lin is flawless. He definitely has to work on the turnovers, but that will come too.

dec

Well the Knicks finally lose to the 2nd worse team in the league. Their next few games are pretty tough

Sun 19    vs Dallas
Mon 20    vs New Jersey
Wed 22    vs Atlanta
Thu 23    @ Miami
Wed 29    vs Cleveland
Sun 04    @ Boston
Tue 06    @ Dallas
Wed 07    @ San Antonio