American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

Glad I stayed up late on New Years night and picked up the Giants v Cowboys and been following the Giants march to the Super Bowl....

Very entertaining final, helped by fast forwarding it through all the bullshite...

Fair play to the Giants, seemed to own the ball in the first half and went were down at the break, no matter what the game you do well to pick yourself up from that...

Meanwhile, my plan of watching the rugby (don't get me started about that!!!) then the Super Bowl was going great until 2 or so when I went to bed but just 60 seconds before getting out of the car to work this morning I wasn't paying attention and they gave the fecking score on the radio sports bulletin....  Didn't want to hear the fecking result and only for that I would have avoided hearing it and would have watched it in peace earlier today
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

RealSpiritof98

I recorded the show because I knew that the pints on Saturday night would take effect. Great viewing today, thought the Pats left it behind them, much like the 49ers, but you have to give Eli great credit in coming back and getting the winning drive.

Quote from: BennyCake on February 06, 2012, 12:11:28 PM
Thank feck this shite is over for another year. It's all I've heard about all week in the Irish media. Not a word about the league starting, but hyping up this pile of dung!

Such an over exaggeration, why would anyone come click into 'The American Sports Thread'  at half 12 at night just to have a pop at the most watched sporting event on the planet because some Irish jurnos showed a bit of interest. We don't all eat and drink GAA 24/7 plus I thought the Irish News had quite comprehensive pre-national league info all week.

P.S thought the half time show was good viewing as a spectacle, the ole doll surrounded herself with trendy talented artists and put on a good show, mining or not.

Carmen Stateside

Move over Tim Tebow, Jeremy Lin is Americas new sports sensation, and it's all happened within two weeks !
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/34839847

Carmen Stateside

He does it again tonight with a game winning three pointer with .9 seconds left. 27 pts 11 assists.
Linsanity grows!

dec

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on February 15, 2012, 03:28:07 AM
He does it again tonight with a game winning three pointer with .9 seconds left. 27 pts 11 assists.
Linsanity grows!
Tickets for the next Knicks game with a face value of $35 are going for $135 on stubhub.

J70

Every Asian person under the age of 25 looked like they were in the arena in Toronto last night, holding up signs! Incredible story, and unlike Tebow, this lad has come out of nowhere in the last twoweeks and actually looks a very decent player. Its amazing that the Knicks hadn't given him a chance, even in practise, considering that they didn't have a fit point guard in the roster. I watch the Knicks a lot and the contrast between now and the team that lost almost every game in January is just mind boggling. The lad suits the D'antoni offense perfectly, just like Steve Nash did in Phoenix. The key is what happens when Anthony returns, as he hasn't played the fast break type of game. What do you if he can't operate in it?

Carmen Stateside

Tried getting tickets for tonight with no luck, Friday night the same.  They are in big demand.  Did get myself two for Sunday against Dallas. Hoping the Linsanity continues to then.  Atmosphere tonight will be brilliant. 

AZOffaly

Not a big fan of pro basketball at all, it's all about trash talking, no defense and dunking until the last 3 or 4 minutes. A big exhibition for the players to show how cool they are. However I love players like Steve Nash and this Lin fella. Nice passing from a point guard really makes the game worth watching. I hope he can keep it going...

Dinny Breen

Why does it have to be about race - the kid is American born, Harvard educated yet every article I read about Lin refers to his Asian heritage..
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Maybe more because there's very few asian players in the NBA (or NHL/NFL either) really. Same way Jackie Robinson made a spash for black athletes in the MLB. You're right though, no-one seems to be more preoccupied with race in sports than the USA.

J70

Its totally because there are no Asian-American sports stars. Its not surprising that that community would exalt in his success so far. And then throw in the fact that he didn't go to a sports college, was undrafted (partly because of his race), wasn't even featuring in practise and was on the cusp of going back to the D league a couple of weeks ago before taking the Knicks and the league by complete surprise with his top class displays and its not surprising that there is such huge hype. And so far, its completely justified. The Knicks were a shambles, losing 13 out of 14 before he came in that game against the Nets and transformed the team, which had been playing without a point guard (he'd gotten a few minutes here and there late in games, but typically did little except turn the ball over until that Nets game).

Carmen Stateside

Floyd Mayweather would like people to believe its about race,  it's only part of the whole story.  As above it's the fact an undrafted player from Harvard who had been cut from two squads kept believing in himself and working hard to reach the top.
  Last night was pretty easy for him,  just set his personal best at assists.  I am actually looking forward to Melo returning.  One if not the best scorer in the league, Melo surely can spread the floor and  pick his spot for a shot.  If it is a success, then the Knicks surely will be considered a contender.
One thing Lin can do is improve everyone else, the play of Fields, Novak, Walker and even Mike Bibby have improved.  Defensively they have been well improved all year with Tyson Chandler becoming very Influential and the rookie Shumpert is as good a defender as is about.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on February 16, 2012, 04:07:48 PM
Floyd Mayweather would like people to believe its about race,  it's only part of the whole story.  As above it's the fact an undrafted player from Harvard who had been cut from two squads kept believing in himself and working hard to reach the top.
  Last night was pretty easy for him,  just set his personal best at assists.  I am actually looking forward to Melo returning.  One if not the best scorer in the league, Melo surely can spread the floor and  pick his spot for a shot.  If it is a success, then the Knicks surely will be considered a contender.
One thing Lin can do is improve everyone else, the play of Fields, Novak, Walker and even Mike Bibby have improved.  Defensively they have been well improved all year with Tyson Chandler becoming very Influential and the rookie Shumpert is as good a defender as is about.

I dunno lads. I think the race angle is definitely important to the media. As an example, I'm listening to ESPN radio at the moment, and his background, Asian stereotypes, how he looks etc have all been mentioned multiple times. They haven't mention Harvard once, and mentioned his rise to prominence only briefly. The story is definitely about how he is smashing the barrier for Asians. Of course that could be one show, but I've heard similar soundbites.

This is causing a bit of a stir as well, an image posted by MSG (Madison Square Garden) TV Network, the Knick's broadcast partner.

Carmen Stateside

It's certainly part of the reason but not it all.  Another big reason for his success is his strong religious believes and clean cut character.  He definitely comes across as a real good kid.  America love this type of role model for there kids to aspire to.   All his teammates seem to love him as well,  when you see veterans like Chandler and Stoudemire dancing around like two school girls after his three pointer the other night says a lot.

Nba trying to make a few exra bucks on his popularity.  He has been included in the All Star weekend as help for Shumpert in the Dunk contest.  Rumors were going round that they were pushing to include him somewhere over the weekend and seems like they succeeded.

Capt Pat

I don't know, it sounds like a load of guff to me like Tebowmania. A guy who can't really play that well being carried by the team around him making a few highlight plays at the end of the game. They will also fall back into obscurity soon enough. Off field issues like being a christian or Asian Harvard graduate seem to bring more weight to their stories.