American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carmen Stateside

How many overtimes are allowed before a draw game?

Carmen Stateside

Carmen Stateside

Carmen Stateside

Patriots vs NY Giants
Lets get it on!  :)
Fancy the giants to win it as well!

Carmen Stateside

Eli Manning, first quarter back in history to win five road playoff games!
Not bad for a lucky quarterback!

J70

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on January 23, 2012, 03:50:28 AM
Eli Manning, first quarter back in history to win five road playoff games!
Not bad for a lucky quarterback!

Amazing performance from Manning tonight given the onslaught he was on the receiving end of. I think they'll beat the Patriots after coming through that. What a tense, tough game! Great performances from the two defenses. Kyle Williams, unfortunately for him, was the difference.

The Iceman

Great weekend of football. A lot of anxiety in our house on Sunday. Feel bad for the Ravens. They really threw that game away. Some bad decisions and fell horrible for their kicker.
The Giants nearly gave me a heart attack. I was on edge going into the game and then couldn't watch it at times. Full house all supporting big blue, great times and a Superbowl now to look forward to.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

AZOffaly

Quote from: The Iceman on January 23, 2012, 01:42:28 PM
Great weekend of football. A lot of anxiety in our house on Sunday. Feel bad for the Ravens. They really threw that game away. Some bad decisions and fell horrible for their kicker.
The Giants nearly gave me a heart attack. I was on edge going into the game and then couldn't watch it at times. Full house all supporting big blue, great times and a Superbowl now to look forward to.

Ravens should have won that game. And while the kicker needs a kick in the arse for not calling a timeout before the kick, I blame Lee Evans. You have to hold onto that fecking catch. He was turning around to celebrate.

GalwayBayBoy

As is often the way these tight playoff games are decided by mistakes. Billy Cundiff and Lee Evans for the Ravens only to be topped later by Kyle Williams dropping two howlers to gift the Giants 10 points just when it looked like they were running out of ideas.

BennyHarp

Just watched last nights 49ers game. What on earth was Kyle Williams doing. The poor lad has had a nightmare with those two howlers. Manning showed a fair bit of steel after being dumped on his ass six times. As a 49ers fan though I'm gutted, thought the defence was outstanding and didn't deserve to lose that.
That was never a square ball!!

Capt Pat

The Giants should win this game now. They have a defense and the Patriots don't. Tom Brady might make them competitive but the Giants should have too much overall.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Capt Pat on January 23, 2012, 11:49:07 PM
The Giants should win this game now. They have a defense and the Patriots don't.

Only partially true. The Pats run D is actually pretty good. They more or less shut down the Broncos and the Ravens from running the ball in their last two games. It's their pass D that has been terrible this season.

The Giants defensive line is fantastic but their linebackers and secondary are only average. The pressure their defensive line usually gets on the opposition QB hides a lot of flaws in the rest of their defence.

The Superbowl seems straight forward enough to figure out. If the Pats can protect Brady enough to give him time to find his receivers the Pats will probably win. If like in 07 he spends the game running for his life the Giants will repeat their 07 win. That of course doesn't take into account other variables like turnovers which could tip the balance one team's way.

heganboy

The biggest problem for the Giants may be their O Line, Eli was being hit , sacked or knocked down 1 in 3 times he dropped back on Sunday. 49ers didn't make any big hits to shake him though. I have a feeling that Belichick may not have his linebackers be just as forgiving on any blitz.
Roughing the passer only gets a 15 yard penalty...
Same might just be true for Fewell- the Giants pass rush has been very effective, but as per Sunday, Pats can win with Brady having a bad day at the office, not sure the Giants can say the same about Eli
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

RealSpiritof98

Gutted by the 49ers loss, it was a game there for the taking.

Manning put in a huge shift but a lot has been mentioned about no turnovers, he threw 2 clear picks only for the 49ers to fall over themselves twice, what could go wrong did go wrong and a real missed oppertunity, we should really be discussing the Harbough bowl.

Giants should go on and win it now.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on January 24, 2012, 04:12:10 PM
Manning put in a huge shift but a lot has been mentioned about no turnovers, he threw 2 clear picks only for the 49ers to fall over themselves twice, what could go wrong did go wrong and a real missed oppertunity, we should really be discussing the Harbough bowl.

That's Eli for ya. I said it before but the fella was born with a four leaf clover up his backside. The amount of off-balance throws he makes that should be picked but end up not being picked is amazing. The 49ers missed two clear interceptions because they were so anxious to get to the ball that they were knocking each other out of the way.