American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Vegas must be sick.

Christmas day won't be the same this year.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rois on November 14, 2011, 02:50:52 PM
How's my NBA lock-out situation looking?
Try again next year by the looks of it. The season is in danger at this rate.

Rois

Ah feck, will be in NY Mon 12 til Thurs 15 Dec. In Miami before that.

Forever Green

So, there is going to be no season at all now? Haven't been following as closely as I should be but what are the main demands of the players and are they reasonable?

mc_grens

Quote from: Forever Green on November 14, 2011, 10:02:46 PM
So, there is going to be no season at all now? Haven't been following as closely as I should be but what are the main demands of the players and are they reasonable?

Its nowhere near as simple as that- in fact its really the owners who are playing hard ball. However there is serious blame on both sides for getting to where we are now.

Capt Pat

It is just mad that it has come to this. They lost a baseball season as well in the past.

mc_grens

Quote from: Rois on November 14, 2011, 09:47:48 PM

Well that's that then Rois. Stern just confirmed games up to and including Dec 15th are now cancelled.

stew

Quote from: mc_grens on November 15, 2011, 09:52:22 PM

Well that's that then Rois. Stern just confirmed games up to and including Dec 15th are now cancelled.

The NBA is unwatchable until the playoffs, this whole situation shows what greedy fcukers the players and owners are, they are despicable the lot of them.

I wont miss this league one bit, if anything this will enhance the college ball which is infinitely more enjoyable.

In short the only people I feel sorry for are the vendors and employees of these teams who will be made redundant based on the actions of the millionaires/billionaires.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Puckoon

Quote from: stew on November 15, 2011, 10:23:43 PM

The NBA is unwatchable until the playoffs, this whole situation shows what greedy fcukers the players and owners are, they are despicable the lot of them.

I wont miss this league one bit, if anything this will enhance the college ball which is infinitely more enjoyable.

In short the only people I feel sorry for are the vendors and employees of these teams who will be made redundant based on the actions of the millionaires/billionaires.

Huge issue for me, given the current climate. The accessory revenue and jobs that will be lost is criminal.

stew

Quote from: Puckoon on November 15, 2011, 10:24:58 PM

Huge issue for me, given the current climate. The accessory revenue and jobs that will be lost is criminal.

Sorry to hear that puck.

In other news, the Packers destroyed the hapless Vikings.

Rodgers is a player the like of which this league has never seen before, he is absolutely deadly on several fronts, that said I still think the pack will lose on turkey day, that will be their third game in eleven days and they will be battered and bruised.

mc_grens

1) last years' season was bloody fantastic. There was at least one great game every night.

2) Since the best players started going straight to the NBA from high school, and then straight to the Pros after their one mandatory year at college (after a rule was introduced to stop straight HS transfers) the standard of basketball in the NCAA has gotten worse and worse. As a life long basketball fan, the NBA is now massively superior, the golden age of college hoops in terms of quality of play is long over.

3) Totally agree. It's been Abundantly clear all along that the owners had no intent to get to a negotiating stance that the players would agree with, and that the players were too stubborn to realise this. The only people suffering are the poor f**kers who can't afford to miss one pay check never mind a full season.

Rois

Ah I'm disappointed by that.  Thanks for posting up. 

stew

Quote from: mc_grens on November 15, 2011, 10:53:41 PM

1) last years' season was bloody fantastic. There was at least one great game every night.

2) Since the best players started going straight to the NBA from high school, and then straight to the Pros after their one mandatory year at college (after a rule was introduced to stop straight HS transfers) the standard of basketball in the NCAA has gotten worse and worse. As a life long basketball fan, the NBA is now massively superior, the golden age of college hoops in terms of quality of play is long over.

3) Totally agree. It's been Abundantly clear all along that the owners had no intent to get to a negotiating stance that the players would agree with, and that the players were too stubborn to realise this. The only people suffering are the poor f**kers who can't afford to miss one pay check never mind a full season.

If the league lost $300,000,000 last year like they claim, the players should be smart enough to know they need to take less money to keep the league alive,, clearly they are not.

D Wade tweeted and said that the only side giving anything up is the players and that only the players are losing out, I thought he was smarter than that, and dont get me started on the fact he does not even see the harm done to the people depending on the $10-$12 per hour they get paid.

mc_grens

Quote from: stew on November 16, 2011, 03:33:53 PM
Quote from: mc_grens on November 15, 2011, 10:53:41 PM

If the league lost $300,000,000 last year like they claim, the players should be smart enough to know they need to take less money to keep the league alive,, clearly they are not.

D Wade tweeted and said that the only side giving anything up is the players and that only the players are losing out, I thought he was smarter than that, and dont get me started on the fact he does not even see the harm done to the people depending on the $10-$12 per hour they get paid.

The players have gone from 57% of basketball related income to 50%. That more than covers the 300 million. The owners want another 3% whilst also restricting player movement, among other things. The owners have over played their hand, and the players have only gotten to the stage their at now due to a lack of leadership and proper organisation. If the correct leadership was in place the union would have taken its current course of action in july and we'd be watching games by now.

Declan

http://www.amazon.com/Forty-Million-Dollar-Slaves-Redemption/dp/0609601202

Not directly related to the NBA strike buy an interesting book on American Sports and elite black athletes