American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

That was a fantastic game to watch - Packers 45 Chargers 38.

3 interceptions on Rivers. He's costing them at the same time as the odd flash of brilliance.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on November 07, 2011, 12:39:37 AM
That was a fantastic game to watch - Packers 45 Chargers 38.

3 interceptions on Rivers. He's costing them at the same time as the odd flash of brilliance.
Was reading there that he threw 4 for 385 yards and still lost!

Club Rossa

Big win for the Giants last night.Brady was badly out of sorts though.

mc_grens

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 07, 2011, 12:20:33 AM
Quote from: Rois on November 06, 2011, 11:22:34 PM
Hello American sports fans, first time visit to this thread.
Gonna be in NYC in Dec and would love to go watch the Knicks play. What are the chances that the NBA schedule will be up and running by then - I know Nov's games all off, but know nothing about the saga.
I think there is a decision due on Wednesday but I don't know if anything will be resolved this side of Xmas. The last lockout 10 years or so ago went on until February of the following year.

It's not looking good at the minute Rois. The players are going to vote on decertification of the union which could mean a two year trawl through the courts. The only thing is the vote can't happen for 35 days so it would mean that the pressure would really be on during those 35 days to get a deal done or definitely lose this entire season and possibly some of the next one.

magpie seanie

Really good night of games last evening. Pack score 45 and are nearly brought to overtime! Rodgers is ridiculous but they can be scored against, defense not up to last years playoff level. Rivers seems to only want to throw the ball to two guys. He's giving away a lot of picks but he is capable of brilliance too. New England's pass defense is rubbish but it took Eli a long time to capitalise. He was missing his two best weapons granted. Tebow did the business. No turnovers this week and 100+ yards rushing. He has some good throws and many terrible ones but they got the win.

declan85

Cracker of a game between packers & chargers. Looked all over when chargers went 3 TDs behind but got a TD, recovered the onside and got another quick TD. Their defense is terrible this year compared to last, VJax was wide open in the end zone for his 3TDs.
After last nights game i dont think the packers are as far ahead of others as before, a rejuvinated eagles or if the saints could tidy it up on defense could catch them in a one off playoff game...

AZOffaly

What about those Cardinals!!!!???!! Two muck teams in fairness. In the 4th quarter it was tied at 13 each, the Rams had 3 field goals and 2(!) safeties. Cardinals two FGs and a Larry Mac Gearailt TD. Cardinals arse up a chance to drive to win the game, and let the Rams march down the field. Then they hold them to a field goal attempt, which they block!

In Overtime, the Rams win the toss, but go three and out, before punting to Patrick Peterson, who promptly takes it 99 yards to the house.

2-6 baby!

Capt Pat

Ravens and Steelers was a good game too if you stayed up for it, both QBs had 300 yards passing. Ray Rice went to the house for 80 yards on the first play before being called back for a hold. The Ravens then drove 80 yards for a field goal after which the defenses tightened up. Ravens were on top for a long time before the Steelers took the lead with a TD5 minutes to go. Torrey Smith was dropping and missing potential big play passes all night including a wide open td when 4 points down with 30 seconds to go. Then after another bad drop by Boldin Smith gets open with 10 seconds to go for the winning TD. The stadium emptied before the Steelers caught the kick and ran off the final two plays.

stew

Quote from: declan85 on November 07, 2011, 11:09:34 AM
Cracker of a game between packers & chargers. Looked all over when chargers went 3 TDs behind but got a TD, recovered the onside and got another quick TD. Their defense is terrible this year compared to last, VJax was wide open in the end zone for his 3TDs.
After last nights game i dont think the packers are as far ahead of others as before, a rejuvinated eagles or if the saints could tidy it up on defense could catch them in a one off playoff game...

The packers took their foot off the gas, the game was only going to have one winner.

It does not matter how many you put up, Rodgers will put up more.

The packs D continues to pick teams off, why? because they are forced to throw the ball as they are playing from behind all the time.

Tebow got the job done again, fair play to him.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

declan85

Quote from: stew on November 07, 2011, 02:57:54 PM
Quote from: declan85 on November 07, 2011, 11:09:34 AM

The packers took their foot off the gas, the game was only going to have one winner.

It does not matter how many you put up, Rodgers will put up more.

The packs D continues to pick teams off, why? because they are forced to throw the ball as they are playing from behind all the time.

Tebow got the job done again, fair play to him.

Your right that there was always going to be one winner after Rivers 2 pick 6's in the first quarter, it was too much to ask. I thought Rodgers and the offense played all out til the end and the Chargers D made 2 good stops near the end to give their team a chance. It was blown coverages by their D, not taking the foot off the gas that let the Chargers back in...

stew

The packers are now going to play three games in eleven days, that is absolutely criminal in my opinion, they play the viqueens on Monday night, then they have to play again on Sunday and of course they are playing the third game, on the road to a divisional rival Thanksgiving day.

Not a chance in hell they beat Detroit in Detroit, they will be battered and bruised and I believe this will be the first game they will lose.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

magpie seanie

They will win the division easily regardless and probably have home field advantage.

mc_grens

Quote from: mc_grens on November 07, 2011, 08:40:04 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 07, 2011, 12:20:33 AM
Quote from: Rois on November 06, 2011, 11:22:34 PM
Hello American sports fans, first time visit to this thread.
Gonna be in NYC in Dec and would love to go watch the Knicks play. What are the chances that the NBA schedule will be up and running by then - I know Nov's games all off, but know nothing about the saga.
I think there is a decision due on Wednesday but I don't know if anything will be resolved this side of Xmas. The last lockout 10 years or so ago went on until February of the following year.

It's not looking good at the minute Rois. The players are going to vote on decertification of the union which could mean a two year trawl through the courts. The only thing is the vote can't happen for 35 days so it would mean that the pressure would really be on during those 35 days to get a deal done or definitely lose this entire season and possibly some of the next one.

You know, the more I think of this the more I think we'll have a deal sooner rather than later. The league and the owners dont mind missing a season if they get what they want, but I think that the rank and file players will cave sooner or later. The stars can afford a long lockout but those below th etop couple of tiers cannot.

Dont mind me, I've been going back and forward on this alot. I have Lockout Manic Depression. As much as I enjoy football I cant do without basketball.

magpie seanie

Glad I did the split shift sleep last night though will be hanging by the end of the day here. Good game and again Lovie Smith manages to outsmart Andy Reid. Bears defense put in a good performance to stop Vick hitting his rhythm. Cutler continues to improve and impress. One drive in particular was a highlight reel and crucially - he wasn't sacked. The offensive line is doing its job at last and if they can continue to protect Cutler, he will cut defenses open. Yeah he looks sulky and may take one or two more ill advised throws on that he should but he is a good QB. Forte, despite two uncharacteristic fumbles was a beast again. Jerry Angelo and his clowns that didn't tie his contract up preseason are watching the price go up and up.

So now 5-3 with a couple of big home games coming. Sunday night against the Lions is massive, a win there would have da Bears in good nick to make the playoffs.

J70

For Rois... Assuming the lockout ends in time, decent tickets to the Knicks can be hard to get, even more so since Anthony and Stoudemire signed. If its the Lakers or Heat they're playing, it will be especially tough. Stubhub is a good alternate source if the box office has nothing decent.

There's always the Nets across in Newark. A lot of the time they're not even half full. They're moving to Brooklyn soon.