Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingpins

Great sporting occasion today (which is the real winner ). Huge congratulations to ballyholland, a great side with classy players and just too good for us today. Well done to the seniors, commiserations to kilcoo and credit where due, today no old antics or unsporting conduct! They might be back, we go into ulster with no pressure, huge ask, (possibly not ready yet) but will aim to restore pride back to ulster club glory for the county as we have done so many time previously 😁👍#5ulstersinarow #proudhistory #futureisgreenandwhite

Leftmidfield

Quote from: Targetman on October 14, 2018, 06:49:26 PM
Not often I say this but 2 good games in Newry today, the best teams won both games so congrats to Ballyholland and Burren, as Naka said Grant and Mc Govern were match winners for Harps, in the senior final the class of Donal O Hare was the difference, Kilcoo will lick their wounds and come again next year!!
Donal ohare was the difference. Cathsl Murdock 1st half free kick taking kept burren in it. Minor game very good open football. Really enjoyed it. £12.00 value for money. 12, 13, 14 for Harps very good

Stevie Nicks

Quote from: Kingpins on October 14, 2018, 07:11:59 PM
Great sporting occasion today (which is the real winner ). Huge congratulations to ballyholland, a great side with classy players and just too good for us today. Well done to the seniors, commiserations to kilcoo and credit where due, today no old antics or unsporting conduct! They might be back, we go into ulster with no pressure, huge ask, (possibly not ready yet) but will aim to restore pride back to ulster club glory for the county as we have done so many time previously 😁👍#5ulstersinarow #proudhistory #futureisgreenandwhite
Give it a rest ffs, you have been trying to wind it up all week with the kilcoo bashing! This isn't a complaint but it is sweet tonight from a burren man with their own dark arts to close out game, with management kicking balls into pitches, systematic fouling including a very dangerous tackle from mckernan on young rooney! Not sour grapes as best team won but please open your eyes. Good luck to burren in Ulster and to the kilcoo team congratulations on a good year with all the hurdles that they had to overcome.

Nanderson

Hard luck Kilcoo was rooting for them today as I thought it would be special to see 7 in a row being done. The amount of injuries affecting the starting team for Kilcoo took its toll, seeing Laverty came back on they had exhausted their best options from the bench (although i was surprised Aaron Brannigan wasn't thrown in maybe with 15 mins left). 3 of the Brannigan's getting yellow cards early on changed the way they liked to mark their men and it mean't Kerr, O'Hare and Toner got a bit more freedom. Its mad to think that some of that Kilcoo squad; Ryan Johnston, Darryl Brannigan, Darragh O'Hanlon and possibly a couple of others have won 2009-2011 Down Minor championships and then went on to win 2012-2017 Down Senior championships. Thats a serious medal collection 

thebar

To Burren congrats....deserving winners on the day not only did you stand up when it counted but played some nice controlled football especially in the 2nd half...injuries caught up with Kilcoo but at the end of the day 6 in a row hasn't been a bad run! Ballyholland deserving minor winners...14 for Ballyholland very good they have some handy footballers coming through if they can just keep them together.

forevergreen

Fantastic win for our seniors today. They kept the heads well in 2nd half and Donal O has found his ruthless streak again. Kilcoo kept at it and whilst they were missing a number of their top players, Burren had quite a few changes too from previous. Bringing Con Toner and Shay McArdle of the bench shows the strength in depth we have.
Our young lads done very well and will only grow in confidence now. Kerr was lively throughout and shipped a heavy tackle from Daryl Brannigan that could have subdued him. Kilcoo will believe that they can regroup and go again given their injuries but this might well be the monkey of our backs to bring more of the younger players through.
Thought Con Reynolds done a good job in the middle, kept control and allowed game to play when possible.
Ulster will be a new challenge but this group could provide a few shocks in it.
Unfortunately for our minors they came up against a great Harps side that have plenty of talent that was equally matched by a himger and work rate. They'll have given Ballyholland a real lift when badly needed.

Mourne Rover

Two decent games in Newry today with Ballyholland minors the stars of the show. They are solid at the back with a serious midfield and McGovern and Grant were outstanding up front.

Burren just edged the senior final, probably through hunger across the pitch with Donal O'Hare bringing a touch of class to their attack and deservedly getting the MoM. His second goal, at the end of the best move of the day, was a particularly clinical piece of finishing and good enough to win any championship.

The Branagans are still a force of nature, and, with no USC to consider this Autumn, it would be a huge pity if the likes of Dabs and Genie went through their careers without finding out once and for all if they are county standard. They may not be the biggest, but they would bring pace, heart and total commitment to any squad. It was a pity to see Laverty, the best club player we have produced in the last 20 years, struggling, but Kilcoo
will be a threat again when they are able to field their strongest side, although the Johnstons showed very little discipine when they were most needed in the closing stages.

While the Ulster title is wide open this year, Burren would still need to improve sharply if they are to go on a run. They relied heavily on the four long range frees from Murdoch to keep them in the contest at half time, and they would be outsiders if they get Scotstown in the quarters, but they won't be worrying too much about that tonight.

BarryBreensBandage

Great to see positive posts on this thread regarding Down finals held today. For all the work that was undoubtedly put in to the four teams reaching this stage, hopefully it bodes well for the future.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

downjim

Utm my arse, best club player since 98 is not Laverty but in the top five. We are back and we are not going anywhere. It's coming home

Smurfy123

It wasn't Lavertys day but he's up there as one of the best club players this 20 years.

charlieTully

Quote from: downjim on October 15, 2018, 01:37:10 AM
Utm my arse, best club player since 98 is not Laverty but in the top five. We are back and we are not going anywhere. It's coming home

Win with dignity ya p***k. Half their first team was missing.

downjim

I said he was in the top five club players this past 20 years . Anyone for Mollies??

BarryBreensBandage

Is that your prediction for your Ulster club championship run?
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Kingpins

Stevi nicks.. wind your neck in, take the beating and quit your crying!! Mc kernan met the fella with super shoulder, shouldnt even have been a free!! Lets put the jealousy and bitterness to one side and agree that the cream always rises to the top, u14s, u 16s, minor finalists, 2nds semi finalists, 3rds finalists, senior double!! The aristocrats of down football, always have and always will be!! Past, present and future champions!! As i said dominating a county for so long but yet no return in ulster marks failure in my eyes, you need to cement your clubs name in ulster glory to be recognised as a great team, lets be honest down hav'nt produced any great teams since ourselves and it looks like its going to be left up to us to repeat the glory in the years ahead again. Heads up to kilcoo though, tried so hard.. failed and will go down as decent team in our local club scene.

Mourne Red

Be prepared to have this quoted back to you this time next year if Burren do a bottle job