Galway club Football and Hurling thread

Started by GalwayBayBoy, June 20, 2007, 04:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaroonAndWhite

Mouview, if we have a run like the Cork hurlers too, we'd take that  ;D I think theres a good college team there but to be honest, Micheal Breathnachs or indeed any of the other teams NUIG faced wont have as sticky a backline as Killererin. You wont find any team in the county putting 2-19 up against Killererin. I think part of the beauty of having the Joyces is that so much emphasis is put on the two lads up front that the likes of Shane Hughes, Jonathan Keane & Tomas Fahy are largely over-looked and the three of them are good enough to do damage when the chance arises.
The Scans look to be a decent team..........their back line like Killererins is very good.....Matt Flannery, Mullahy, Blake are as good as there is in Galway. John Devane and Cathal Blake at midfield will matc most and Cullinane, Ciaran Murphy up front are decent forwards capable of scoring and wining their own ball. Does anyone know where Cullinane came from???? Blow-in I presume? Just think they will be that bit fresher than Caltra who have alot of miles up and I think they are much the poorer for the loss of Noel Meehan to take the load off Mike.
When are the hurling semis on????? Hurlings not all that big in Killererin  ;D but like to keep on top of these things!

GallBoss

That Cullinane is from Oranmore Maree played Galway minor at one stage I recall I believe he's a good mate of Blakes from College in Athlone which would explain the transfer to Milltown.

I fancy Killererin and Milltown Sunday can't see the college matching Killererins passion plus it's a disgrace they are in it at all. At the very least they're should be some limitations put on them ie they should not be allowed pick senior club footballers from other counties. They can have a different squad every weekend they go out its not fair on the small clubs battling to capture glory for their communities ie Milltown , Caltra & Killererin.

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: GallBoss on September 26, 2007, 09:36:01 AM
That Cullinane is from Oranmore Maree played Galway minor at one stage I recall I believe he's a good mate of Blakes from College in Athlone which would explain the transfer to Milltown.

I fancy Killererin and Milltown Sunday can't see the college matching Killererins passion plus it's a disgrace they are in it at all. At the very least they're should be some limitations put on them ie they should not be allowed pick senior club footballers from other counties. They can have a different squad every weekend they go out its not fair on the small clubs battling to capture glory for their communities ie Milltown , Caltra & Killererin.

Amen to that GallBoss, although the college argument almost never rears its head in Galway that much cos they never get this far. Theyve had a soft enough passage to a semi.........them days are over!!!!!

Duine Eile

So is the county united in supporting Killererin against them blow ins from NUIG! :D

MaroonAndWhite

Jaysus, that was a bit close for comfort for my beloved Killererin! Thought it would be dangerous and so it proved. The college lads are handy....kicked some serious scores. They kept the ball away from the Killererin midfield from their kickouts wisely enough and the inside forward line were very lively. Nicky hit form today.....kicked a few super points. I wasnt too happy with some of the ref's decisions and he gave NUIG some very soft frees but I suppose its a bit cheeky to complain given the amount of injury time played  ;) But fair play to our lads.......looked dead and buried after the Bomb missed the peno but fought tooth and nail and clawed themselves back in.
Killererin have asked that the replay be out back to 14/10/2007 as if game is replayed next week, Killererin will have been out 3 Sundays in a row. That would put any potential final back to 28/10/2007 as the hurling final is arranged for 21/10/2007. Might work against the Scans having a 4 week lay-off.
Speaking of which, well done to the Scans. Sadly, i sloped off to catch that excuse for rugby. Sorry i did now!!!!!........so whats the word. I hear great first half and tight in second?

Farrandeelin

Who won the other game between Caltra and Milltown?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Owenmoresider

Duine Eile

NUIG Killererin replay is fixed for the 14th with the county final pushed out to the 28th.

Boy were we lucky. Again! The lads played fairly well but a lot of time fouled needlessly and gave up possession pretty easily.Our midfield weren't as dominant as in other games with most of the NUIG kick outs going to the wings. The backs did ok but need to tighten up a lot. Forwards did well, Padraic and Nicky the pick of them but there were some terrible missed and balls kicked into the goalies hands. One question I have is why oh why is Tommy Joyce taking the bloomin' penalties when we have an international soccer player on our team.That penalty could have won the match for us, fair enough he scored one the last day but he's inconsistent, a bit like Alan Keane taking the 45s. If they're dead straight in front of the goal he's grand, if not he hasn't a hope and the chance is lost. Anyway, at least now we know what we're up against in the replay, hopefully we'll do it, the lads did brilliantly to fight back at the end.

A lot of people are complaining about the amount of injury time played. It's even gone so far that city councillors are ringing Keith Finnegan complaining about Pat McGovern. There were 3 mins signaled but it's at the discretion of the referee, if he feels more should be added on then there is. A NUIG sub was brought on, there was an injury if I remember correctly and the play was stopped for frees. Fact of the matter is, if NUIG were good enough to win they'd have held on to their lead and closed out the game but they didn't, they thought the game was won and allowed Killererin back into it, they've nobody but themselves to blame for us levelling the game.Also there was a lot of abuse shouted at the NUIG players from the stand and Killererin supporters are taking all the flack for it, there were a lot of neutrals in for that game and made their feelings on NUIG quite clear, I'm not saying there weren't any Killererin people involved but I know for a fact that quite a few from Milltown and Caltra weren't shy in letting their feelings be known. Things got a bit hairy on the pitch at the end also, hope it's not carried on into the replay.

thebackbar

Any news on where the replay will be held ?

Its a pity all the people who were shouting at the NUIG players couldn't express their anger at the relevant people ie county board delegates,  Football Board officers .... I'm sure NUI,G will begin to pick up some of the neutral support after what ocoured at the last match.

It seems very unfair on Milltown that the county final is being delayed for another week, this probably means the minor final goes back another week, will the intermediate final be put back also ? amazing that Mayo and Roscommon have their county final played already. Hopefully with a new board in place next year there will be an improvement in regards fixtures.

mouview

This w/end the focus switches to the hurling semis, usually a good days action for all. The curtain raiser in Athenry between Kinvara and Castlegar will be the better game IMHO; I tipped Kinvara last week but have since changed my mind - I think Cashel' will have just too much scoring potential to be stopped. In the big game, it's hard to see Athenry worrying Port' too much - if the latter approach the game properly they should reach their 5th final in succession - is this a record in recent years?

The fine day, central venue and presence of the Wunderkind should all add up to a bumper crowd at picturesque Kenny Park so punters are advised to go early.

thedestroyer

i hear  that joe canning is bein deployed a full back tomorro,

u no wat they say, best form of defence is attack

GalwayBayBoy

Athenry 0-14
Portumna 2-16

Castlegar 2-11
Kinvara 3-14

Galway SHC final 2007

Portumna v Kinvara

Duine Eile

Killererin v NUIG replay this Sunday, at 3.30 Tuam Stadium

MaroonAndWhite

Roll on the replay, I expect the lads to send the students packing this time around. Sure the students will be delighted.......more time to concentrate on the Buckfast,  Jagermeister shots and eating cold pizza for breakfast.....those were the days!!!!! Must bring the earphones on Sunday to see what Ollie Turner has to say next day.......i hear he certainly wasnt pro Killererin the last day but sure not to worry.
Well done to Kilkerrin-Clonberne on opening the new grounds. By all accounts and the photos Ive seen, its a fine set up. Well done to them, its good to see the standard of facilities improve within the county. Ive seen some club grounds in counties like Longford, Cavan, Westmeath with some seious set ups.....massive clubhouses, bars, gym equipment et al. Sure maybe its not for the best....anyone familiar with North Galway football will know that Caherlistrane went down hill when they put a bar in the clubhouse! And they went senior when the bar was closed! Coincidence....i think not!!! ;D

GalwayBayBoy

Killererin 0-12
NUIG 1-7

Galway SFC final 2007

Killererin v Milltown