The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

Quote from: Dave like the tv channel on May 16, 2018, 11:08:55 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on May 16, 2018, 10:30:42 PM
His and Pats plan for driving on Laois hurling sits on a shelf up there, gathering dust.

"there's only so much funding to go around" was more or less the response to Cheddar's request for funding for Laois. The responder had a Dublin accent and spoke on behalf of Croke Park. Meanwhile, Dublin has been absolutely coining it for the past 10-12 years.
All they wanted was funding to carry on, tighten up, and expand the coaching numbers. The programme in place was ostensibly working, it only needed tweaking and expanding. Funding to coach the coaches so to speak. However the GAA's Goebbels was having none of it. Run along there Laois, you're not wanted.

redsetanta

Surely it's up to the county board to push for funding and continue to do so until something happens. I fail to see how the powers that be could refuse financial aid if a workable plan is put before them and the right people are involved to manage it. As the saying goes where there's a will there's a way. Maybe the CB themselves weren't particularly enthusiastic about it as any funds would have to come through them I would imagine. 
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on May 17, 2018, 09:32:30 AM
Surely it's up to the county board to push for funding and continue to do so until something happens. I fail to see how the powers that be could refuse financial aid if a workable plan is put before them and the right people are involved to manage it. As the saying goes where there's a will there's a way. Maybe the CB themselves weren't particularly enthusiastic about it as any funds would have to come through them I would imagine.
Then you've never dealt with the powers that be. You can have all the will in the world, but it won't get you through a closed door. You don't think Pat and Cheddar have a will?

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Don Draper on May 17, 2018, 09:44:43 AM
Then you've never dealt with the powers that be. You can have all the will in the world, but it won't get you through a closed door. You don't think Pat and Cheddar have a will?

The sad thing is that all the fight was coming from them. Again, our county board are shown up to be a set of compliant dinosaurs. They do s.f.a. to fight for the development of games in our county beyond the minimum that allows them to get off the hook.

Don Draper

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on May 17, 2018, 10:28:36 AM

The sad thing is that all the fight was coming from them. Again, our county board are shown up to be a set of compliant dinosaurs. They do s.f.a. to fight for the development of games in our county beyond the minimum that allows them to get off the hook.
Nail on the head. No wonder lads like Pat and Cheddar get burnt out and browned off. Could you blame them.

SpeculativeEffort

Ok so Croke Park denied us funding but are Westmeath, Kerry and the other counties passing us out being bankrolled by Croke Park funding? No, I dont think they are.
However they seem to have hung onto the players who are in the 25-32 bracket more successfully than Laois have managed to. The mass retirements in lads in their prime has left a huge hole in the Laois panel and their isnt the depth in the county to fill it. Read back through any of the interviews they did after retiring and they pretty much all cited the huge demands of time and energy that they couldnt sustain. We tried bravely to bridge the gap to the A counties and fell on our own sword. All the funding in the world 3-4 years wouldnt have filled the gap left by the players who retired and are still good enough to be playing.

Don Draper

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on May 17, 2018, 10:36:22 AM
Ok so Croke Park denied us funding but are Westmeath, Kerry and the other counties passing us out being bankrolled by Croke Park funding? No, I dont think they are.
However they seem to have hung onto the players who are in the 25-32 bracket more successfully than Laois have managed to. The mass retirements in lads in their prime has left a huge hole in the Laois panel and their isnt the depth in the county to fill it. Read back through any of the interviews they did after retiring and they pretty much all cited the huge demands of time and energy that they couldnt sustain. We tried bravely to bridge the gap to the A counties and fell on our own sword. All the funding in the world 3-4 years wouldnt have filled the gap left by the players who retired and are still good enough to be playing.
The funding wasnt to bridge that gap, it was to ensure that gap didn't happen again, and again, and again.
Kerry has greater funding than Laois, there's no comparison.
Westmeath have been doing well, credit to them, but I wouldn't say they've passed us out, we've dropped back as a result of the retirements, but 9 times out of 10, we'd expect to beat, them, and in recent years have.
But, you have pivoted the conversation, the recent defeat wasn't the fault of funding or otherwise. We're not discussing that. We're discussing how forward planning was denied, for no apparent reason. This is a thread about the future of Laois hurling, not the current state of our senior team.

clonadmad

The reality is that they didn't have the full support of the County Board when they went looking for funding,it wouldn't be an understatement to say that they were nearly undermined by certain factions who had a different agenda for funding

Getting the Portlaoise debt sorted and accessing future funding for the C of E was more of a priority

redsetanta

That was my point. Although I don't know the in's and out's of dealing with Croke Park I would have thought that any plans etc would have to come through official channels and therefore if the backing wasn't from within the CB then it wouldn't have a chance. I would assume the same would happen in any other county.

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

clonadmad

We had to go last year cap in hand to Martin Fogarty to get a minor hurling manager as no one wanted the job

what does that say about us as a hurling county

We need about 10 PC's and about 10 Cheddars in this county,where are they?

We played an u15 game Monday night and no one,refs or mentors knew whether it was 25 or 30 mins a side,even a simple thing like rules pertaining to that grade aren't circulated to the clubs at the start of the year.

portlaoisekid

Quote from: clonadmad on May 17, 2018, 10:53:59 AM

The reality is that they didn't have the full support of the County Board when they went looking for funding,it wouldn't be an understatement to say that they were nearly undermined by certain factions who had a different agenda for funding

Getting the Portlaoise debt sorted and accessing future funding for the C of E was more of a priority
Jaysus you have some chip on your shoulder when its comes to Portlaoise.

Giovanni

Quote from: clonadmad on May 17, 2018, 11:21:49 AM

We played an u15 game Monday night and no one,refs or mentors knew whether it was 25 or 30 mins a side,even a simple thing like rules pertaining to that grade aren't circulated to the clubs at the start of the year.

Is it any wonder young lads aren't really interested? Amateur is right.

clonadmad

Quote from: portlaoisekid on May 17, 2018, 01:51:06 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on May 17, 2018, 10:53:59 AM

Jaysus you have some chip on your shoulder when its comes to Portlaoise.

Call it what you want son but the reality is that a lot of the money that went into bailing your asses out should have been used for the benefit of laois as a whole.

clonadmad

Quote from: Giovanni on May 17, 2018, 04:51:12 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on May 17, 2018, 11:21:49 AM

Is it any wonder young lads aren't really interested? Amateur is right.

Never mind the young lads,bad governance leads to loopholes being exploited,arguments before each game and mentors getting their fill of it and saying to hell with it.

clonadmad

Never mind the young lads,bad governance leads to loopholes being exploited,arguments before each game and mentors getting their fill of it and saying to hell with it.

There was an email send out this week from the County Board as regards the bad behavior of mentors Im not excusing it for a minute but there's huge frustration amongst mentors also

When at u13/u11

You have the larger clubs shuttling up and down players between A/B and C squads to suit the occasion against clubs with one team

1 if not 2 clubs bringing in players from outside the county to pad out an u11 team

One prominent hurling club blatantly playing 2 u13's in an u11 game recently

The shambles with refs not being appointed to ref all u11 games,instead mentors being left to red games which creates huge interest

No sanction being placed on a club where a historical pattern of bad behavior culminated with a Juvenile before the courts after an u16 game

I could go on,but why bother