The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joeythelips

Fair play to Cheddar, people think Laois hurling was at rock bottom after the Cork defeat in 2011, it could have got even lower. Literally no one wanted the job but Cheddar took up the reins and got some pride back in the jersey.  He did a great job with limited talent. He would be an ideal person to oversee player development.

les Antiques

The problem now is where do we go from here ..? A lot of players played for Cheddar ,not many other men in Laois would have the same influence . Hopefully Cheddar will have a say in who we appoint going forward .

BallyroanAbbey

If the county board were unwilling to fund cheddar, who has probably saved them alot of money over the last few years, the chances are that they are unwilling to go out and spend big on a outside manager. I actually felt that cheddars time should of been up after this year, for all the good he has done since 2013 it seemed to go stale and their was regression this year, partly due to a number of retirements to be fair. If they are going to go with a laois man I think that the number 1 target should be Niall Rigney again. He is proven with Laois and has achieved success since his last stint too. Another possibility I could see would be Arien Delaney from Camross, who I felt has done a great job with that team considering where they were before he took over.

burdizzo

Do you think he'd get a couple of the Camross boys to commit?
I don't think it'll be Rigney.

Laoiseabu

What camross lads were you thinking ? G Burke ZKeenan

burdizzo

Yes, them's the very ones I was thinking of!

les Antiques

Arien Delaney would be an interesting option . Honestly couldnt see Niall Rigney getting involved with the Senior Hurlers again.

blueandwhite1

redsetanta

In fairness even under Cheddar it was hard to get Camross lads to commit.

A manager should not be chosen based on whether or not Camross lads will commit.

If Rigney wanted it I'd be happy with that.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

merman

I have nothing but respect for Niall Rigney but he has had a very difficult year with Lisdowney.
I know we won't have many banging down the door looking for the job but I would be inclined to look elsewhere.

Arien Delaney would probably have been my first choice but I think he has a different commitment lined up.

I'm inclined to think we need to look at an overall package rather than one man. Someone like Kevin Martin or Ken Hogan could be an option as manager with names like Paul Cuddy, John O' Sullivan, Eamonn Kelly, John Taylor, Cyril Duggan, Noel Delaney, Eamon Jackman and Tommy Kenna to come in as selectors/coaches. Outsiders that come to mind for a similar role would be Eddie Brennan, Michael Kavanagh or Tommy Dunne.

I'd have a fear that the pot for a decent Hurling setup could be quite on the empty side seeing as we seem to have appointed an outside manager, coach and 2 selectors for our football team.

Laoiseabu

County baller

I think Pat is driving his new hurling pathways plan atm so he's not available!

Helix

Just to clarify lads if management for minor and under 21 is vacant ?
Looking at Eamon Jackman would be a good option at underage and minor level. High regard from previous Laois minor players who worked under them.
The big thing in Laois hurling as well as Cheddar stepping down but also drop in standards at Setanta level from previous years. Hopefully that can be sorted to enhance player development.
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

merman

Shane Corby has been retained as U21 manager.
It's not confirmed or anything but plenty around the county would have heard that Arien Delaney is the incoming Minor manager.

Helix

Quote from: merman on September 27, 2016, 08:12:03 PM
Shane Corby has been retained as U21 manager.
It's not confirmed or anything but plenty around the county would have heard that Arien Delaney is the incoming Minor manager.

Heard something along those lines also Merman had to be sure. Should be a nice few Camross youngsters on it anyways as they won u16 championship in 2015, regardless if Arien Delaney takes post. Best wishes to him if he does!
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail