Laois - Bits & Pieces

Started by Mossy Bruce, January 31, 2019, 10:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdizzo

Definitely a hurl in Laois. In most of Munster it'd be a 'hurley'.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: burdizzo on August 08, 2019, 10:43:39 PM

I would say that those who call it a hurl are in a minority among hurling counties. "Two hands on the hurl" is definitely stronger in Laois and Wexford at matches! Munster and Galway call it a hurley. Not sure about Offaly, Kilkenny or Westmeath. A quick search of makers shows mostly 'hurley makers' but I did see hurl makers in Dublin and Wexford.

Mossy Bruce

In following some of those Twitter feed replies, it sounds like they say "hurl" in Kilkenny.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

LooseCannon

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on August 12, 2019, 03:49:45 PM
In following some of those Twitter feed replies, it sounds like they say "hurl" in Kilkenny.
Hurl here as well. Not as if we're relevant or anything.

ottoman

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on August 12, 2019, 02:51:35 PM

I would say that those who call it a hurl are in a minority among hurling counties. "Two hands on the hurl" is definitely stronger in Laois and Wexford at matches! Munster and Galway call it a hurley. Not sure about Offaly, Kilkenny or Westmeath. A quick search of makers shows mostly 'hurley makers' but I did see hurl makers in Dublin and Wexford.

A "hurl" in Kilkenny and Offaly too. The trend seems to be Munster and Galway its "hurley" and Leinster its a "hurl"

blueandwhite1

Quote from: ottoman on August 13, 2019, 08:53:55 AM

A "hurl" in Kilkenny and Offaly too. The trend seems to be Munster and Galway its "hurley" and Leinster its a "hurl"

Listening to Sambo McNaughton last night talking about walking down the streets in the 6 counties with hurls in their hands and what that symbolized. It seems it may well be a North / East thing (Ulster / Leinster) to call it a hurl and a South / West (Munster / Galway) to call it a hurley. Camán does the trick, immune from regional varation.

ottoman

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on August 14, 2019, 10:56:38 AM
Quote from: ottoman on August 13, 2019, 08:53:55 AM

Listening to Sambo McNaughton last night talking about walking down the streets in the 6 counties with hurls in their hands and what that symbolized. It seems it may well be a North / East thing (Ulster / Leinster) to call it a hurl and a South / West (Munster / Galway) to call it a hurley. Camán does the trick, immune from regional varation.

It funny as I don't think people from our region particular care either way whats its called. But I remember when I hurled in Sydney for a few years, there was a few Cork lads on our team and anytime anybody referred to it as a "hurl" you could nearly see their heads explode. They just couldn't fathom it.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: ottoman on August 14, 2019, 01:48:05 PM
It funny as I don't think people from our region particular care either way whats its called. But I remember when I hurled in Sydney for a few years, there was a few Cork lads on our team and anytime anybody referred to it as a "hurl" you could nearly see their heads explode. They just couldn't fathom it.
Yeah, following the Twitter tweets about the hurl/hurley question, the last couple of weeks, it seems like a lot of the "hurley" camp are a bit adamant that the camán should be called a hurley and to do otherwise would fall somewhere between ignorance and treason.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Mad Mentor

For me its always been a hurl. Hurley sounds a bit......girly.

GAA-SMART

Interesting weekend for the 15s and 16s. 15s won the Shield but beaten in the Cup Final and the 16s won the Gerry Reily Shield.

I went to Tualamore, was a great win for the second team. Always looked in control of the game and some very good footballers on the team. The cup final was a game of really high skill level accross both teams. Laois went against a strong wind in the first half and showed some really good character and defensive ability to be 6-4 down at Ht. They just never really got going in the second half and the referee just consistently gave scorable frees to Kerry (About the only consistent thing about him) he turned down an absolute stone wall penalty for Laois aswell. In fairness to the team they showed really good heart and got a brilliant goal to bring the game back to 1 point with about 12 to go, but unfortunately Kerry just kept tipping the ball over the ball and got a soft goal aswell. Overal this was a very good year for them. I rememeber watching them at 14s last year where Wicklow and Offaly beat them and this year theyve beaten anyone theyve played and only went down to Kerry by a very harsh scoreline.

Between the 15s and the 16s we will hopefully have a very competitive Minor team next year.

Giovanni

Thanks for the report.

Good to see the future looking brighter.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Mad Mentor on August 15, 2019, 07:30:49 AM
For me its always been a hurl. Hurley sounds a bit......girly.

Ha ha. For me it always sounded a bit baby-ish to call it a hurley. A bit like wee-wee and pee-pee.

Blow-in

6 games postponed in Laois the last two weeks because of referee crisis. County seems to be at breaking point now.

Mossy Bruce

Happy Christmas to all of you, back there in Laois! Here's to a happy and prosperous New Year for all of us and to the hurlers staying put in the Leinster Championship for 2020 and beyond!

Laois abú!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

portlaoisekid

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on December 23, 2019, 11:43:16 PM
Happy Christmas to all of you, back there in Laois! Here's to a happy and prosperous New Year for all of us and to the hurlers staying put in the Leinster Championship for 2020 and beyond!

Laois abú!
Happy christmas Mossy....have a good one