Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Anyone been to Cologne and recommend a hotel?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

lurganblue

Thinking of a weekend break next year for me and the family.  Nothing really too far.  Kids are 10 and 13, so somewhere that will also be entertaining for them.  Maybe London, but we did go there at the start of 2020. Any recommendations?

Aughafad

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on October 07, 2022, 04:33:46 PM
stayed in Hotel stern am rathaus in March 2018 for 5 nights @€110 a night. Only 2 minutes from Koln cathedral right in the city centre. Small boutique hotel with nice rooms and good breakfast.

I went to this whilst there and really enjoyed it but stayed away form the german section! germans and their nudity.
https://www.claudius-therme.de/en/

armaghniac

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on October 07, 2022, 04:33:46 PM

In August 2019 I stayed in the CityClass Hotel Europa am Dom. Not far from the Catheredal and station and a a view of the Cathederal roof from the room, everything nearby, decent breakfast. German hotels are reasonable value.

Look into the Great St Martin church, founded by Saint Ailell who headed out to Cologne from Muckno monastery down the road.
If you are going shortly then K-D.com do the boats on the Rhine, but these stop in 2 weeks.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

PMG1

Has anyone done their own booking to Thailand, thinking of heading with the missus for a couple of weeks next summer, maybe Phuket and Phi Phi. Don't like goingpackage as usually a lot better value booking own flights and hotel

Mario

Quote from: PMG1 on October 08, 2022, 06:16:28 PM
Has anyone done their own booking to Thailand, thinking of heading with the missus for a couple of weeks next summer, maybe Phuket and Phi Phi. Don't like goingpackage as usually a lot better value booking own flights and hotel
I went to Phuket and Phi Phi and booked it myself. We went for 2 weeks and booked accommodation for the first 2 nights and last 2 nights of the holiday, for the nights in-between I just booked on booking.com app the day before.

PMG1

Quote from: Mario on October 08, 2022, 07:26:57 PM
I went to Phuket and Phi Phi and booked it myself. We went for 2 weeks and booked accommodation for the first 2 nights and last 2 nights of the holiday, for the nights in-between I just booked on booking.com app the day before.

Did you fly to Phuket or Bangkok? How did u get from Phuket to Phi Phi?

Mario

Quote from: PMG1 on October 08, 2022, 08:32:24 PM
Quote from: Mario on October 08, 2022, 07:26:57 PM

Did you fly to Phuket or Bangkok? How did u get from Phuket to Phi Phi?
Flew to Bangkok stayed there a night or two. We got a public ferry from phuket to phi phi, also stayed in railay beach after phi phi

Rois

Quote from: lurganblue on October 07, 2022, 04:41:51 PM
Thinking of a weekend break next year for me and the family.  Nothing really too far.  Kids are 10 and 13, so somewhere that will also be entertaining for them.  Maybe London, but we did go there at the start of 2020. Any recommendations?
When are you thinking of going? Fly to Geneva (2hrs) and visit a ski resort, even if you're not going to ski.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rois on October 09, 2022, 01:00:54 AM
When are you thinking of going? Fly to Geneva (2hrs) and visit a ski resort, even if you're not going to ski.
I'm 46 and have never skied in my life. The 18 and 15 yo have been skiing on school trips. I'd iile to take both away skiing but is it too late for me to start?

Rois

Absolutely not too late. Especially if you are moderately fit and/or used to exercise - my boss learned fairly recently and was about your age.  A week of ski school and you will be doing well. I reckon it is the type of family holiday where the kids will always want to go with you, no matter how old they get.

PMG1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 09, 2022, 01:54:02 AM
I'm 46 and have never skied in my life. The 18 and 15 yo have been skiing on school trips. I'd iile to take both away skiing but is it too late for me to start?
I am a few years older than ye and I went for first time this year, bit harder to learn but had a great time

thewobbler

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 09, 2022, 01:54:02 AM

If your quads and groins are strong and you've never had a serious knee injury, then I recommend going for it.

You'll find it tough getting up from the powder for a day or two and you'll sleep like a baby those nights, but once you get the hang of the basics (a day or two), you will love it. Everyone does.

screenexile

Hands down skiing is the best holiday you will ever have.

My 3 knee surgeries have put an end to them for me unfortunately!

OrchardOrange

Quote from: screenexile on October 09, 2022, 10:25:35 PM
Hands down skiing is the best holiday you will ever have.

My 3 knee surgeries have put an end to them for me unfortunately!

Yep. After 35 years me and wife are now past it now but still take the kids every year. Best holiday hands down