Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: Rois on July 05, 2022, 12:17:48 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 05, 2022, 10:13:51 AM
Quote from: tyrone08 on July 05, 2022, 10:09:18 AM
Heading to westport in mayo in August. Any recommendations on things to do or where serves a good pint of guinness?

Drive to Newport and rent bikes. Can cycle the whole way to Achill Island along some nice paths.
We hired bikes in Westport, and they brought us in a minibus out to Achill and we could cycle back with a few pit stops on way.
If the weather's nice, get down to the quay area in the evening for sunset and a drink, hopefully the bar would have music on.

We might be going ourselves in August too. I love Westport.

How much are bikes to hire these days for a family?

CiKe

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 03, 2022, 05:38:36 PM
Quote from: bigfrank on July 03, 2022, 02:20:19 PM
Heading to Kerry for a week shortly,spent a weekend in Killarney drinking pints a long time ago but would be hopeful of getting a bit more done this time with family,anyone any suggestions or things they recommend to do weather permitting.

Anyone been up Carrauntoohil Mountain? Has been discussed amongst the group as something to do,I'm assuming it's not for the faint hearted,biggest in Ireland. We wanna go to dingle,Waterville,ring of Kerry etc but would love to hear peoples thoughts
Have done it a few times. Unreal experience but definitely not for the faint hearted. If its's your first time, absolutely hire a guide they go up daily with groups, you could genuinely end up in danger if a mist comes in. There are a few different routes up and down.  Take plenty of food and water and warm clothes as it can be chilly at the top. The views if it's clear are breathtaking.

Did it years ago going up the Devil's Ladder from Cronin's yard. Think was in July or August and was bloody cold up top. Not sure what age the family are, but quite a trek for anyone younger, older or very out of shape.

If you aren't used to hiking and can't read a map/use a compass stay away, unless with a guide. Even if you are experienced, as mentioned, the mist can be awful - came in extremely quickly in our case.

Armagh18

Quote from: CiKe on July 05, 2022, 02:44:52 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on July 03, 2022, 05:38:36 PM
Quote from: bigfrank on July 03, 2022, 02:20:19 PM
Heading to Kerry for a week shortly,spent a weekend in Killarney drinking pints a long time ago but would be hopeful of getting a bit more done this time with family,anyone any suggestions or things they recommend to do weather permitting.

Anyone been up Carrauntoohil Mountain? Has been discussed amongst the group as something to do,I'm assuming it's not for the faint hearted,biggest in Ireland. We wanna go to dingle,Waterville,ring of Kerry etc but would love to hear peoples thoughts
Have done it a few times. Unreal experience but definitely not for the faint hearted. If its's your first time, absolutely hire a guide they go up daily with groups, you could genuinely end up in danger if a mist comes in. There are a few different routes up and down.  Take plenty of food and water and warm clothes as it can be chilly at the top. The views if it's clear are breathtaking.

Did it years ago going up the Devil's Ladder from Cronin's yard. Think was in July or August and was bloody cold up top. Not sure what age the family are, but quite a trek for anyone younger, older or very out of shape.

If you aren't used to hiking and can't read a map/use a compass stay away, unless with a guide. Even if you are experienced, as mentioned, the mist can be awful - came in extremely quickly in our case.
yeah have done that way myself. Serious climb and I'd consider myself in good enough shape but it takes it out of you! 100% recommend though

Rois

Same here - I didn't love that hike, not because of fitness, but I remember how rocky it was underfoot to get from Cronin's Yard into the base of the climb. I had good proper hiking shoes with toe guards, felt sorry for the people doing it in normal trainers.
We did it on Easter Sunday - cold but fairly clear.

thebigfella

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 05, 2022, 12:22:10 PM
Keen to get myself a camper van at some point..

Was looking at renting one for a few days as wife isn't convinced and renting one might change her mind. In fairness I'll be getting one regardless

The rate (peak time) is around £130 to over £230 a day based on size and comfort..

Expensive enough just to hire never mind buying

I want a boat but herself is not convinced either  :P   

We've bareboat chartered quite a few times and actually "worked from home" while in the marinas, so she's coming around to the idea. The plan would be to sail the Med & Adriatic for the spring/summer months but we'd probably kill each other after a few weeks on our own in such a small space  :D

trueblue1234

Any advice for things to do near Druids Glen? Down with 3 youngish kids, youngest 2 oldest 9. Just looking few things to do during the day to keep them entertained!!
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

PMG1

Just spent 3 weeks in South East France on the med, great campsite as I said before. Had a beautiful meal tonight, a starter that was more than big enough for 2, 2 main courses and a bottle of Chardonnay, €50.50, I ate out virtually every night, had a great time and would say the 3 weeks of constant sunshine cost less than a week in any Irish resort. Now I love Irish cities like Galway, Ennis etc but they have completely priced themselves out of it. Already booked for next year

Rois

You know they have a kids' play room down there with air hockey, some  sort of computer game thing, and a small cinema screen? We were down at the start of May, our then-20 month old found a few toys to play with in there. The play park to the side is also good for a while. The older kids might like the driving range?
There's this new treetop thing about half an hr away, I saw that Michael D opened it there the other week - might be worth looking at.
The main golf course is closed so the longish walk around the grounds that we had looked forward to wasn't possible.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: PMG1 on July 08, 2022, 11:31:16 PM
Just spent 3 weeks in South East France on the med, great campsite as I said before. Had a beautiful meal tonight, a starter that was more than big enough for 2, 2 main courses and a bottle of Chardonnay, €50.50, I ate out virtually every night, had a great time and would say the 3 weeks of constant sunshine cost less than a week in any Irish resort. Now I love Irish cities like Galway, Ennis etc but they have completely priced themselves out of it. Already booked for next year

Le Vieux port? 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rois

Just spent 3 weeks in South East France on the med, great campsite as I said before.
Sounds great - which campsite was it? I have a feeling we're going to love our Eurocamp trip in September to Italy,  and get the bug, even though our kids are too young at the minute.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Rois on July 08, 2022, 11:37:41 PM
You know they have a kids' play room down there with air hockey, some  sort of computer game thing, and a small cinema screen? We were down at the start of May, our then-20 month old found a few toys to play with in there. The play park to the side is also good for a while. The older kids might like the driving range?
There's this new treetop thing about half an hr away, I saw that Michael D opened it there the other week - might be worth looking at.
The main golf course is closed so the longish walk around the grounds that we had looked forward to wasn't possible.

Cheers Rois!! 👍
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on July 08, 2022, 11:43:24 PM
Just spent 3 weeks in South East France on the med, great campsite as I said before.
Sounds great - which campsite was it? I have a feeling we're going to love our Eurocamp trip in September to Italy,  and get the bug, even though our kids are too young at the minute.

We went when they where very young, best holidays ever... then Disney came along and spoilt them
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Rois on July 08, 2022, 11:43:24 PM

Getting a bug seems very likely, let's hope it is for La Dolce Vita.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bennydorano

Hard to beat the Eurocamps, I don't miss the stress of driving about foreign parts tho, Covid probably denied us a final one that all my kids would have appreciated and this year's holiday was spoken for for a wedding. Spanish resort looked fairly quiet, I know our hotel wasn't half full, the absence of Russians is leaving a huge hole.

PMG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 08, 2022, 11:40:21 PM

Le Vieux port?
No.Le Vieux Port is in south west France, have been there a few times, good spot but weather is better on East coast. This one is Les Sablons in Portiragnes Plage, right on the beach, one minutes walk from the village, on site shop very reasonable, have a great pool that is for adults only and another couple of pools for all, water park 6 mile away, theme park 3 mile away