Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Cheers for that AZ - yep the trip I was looking at takes in the other islands as well. Will keep the investigating going

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: BennyCake on January 03, 2017, 01:38:18 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on January 02, 2017, 11:35:58 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on January 02, 2017, 10:21:16 PM
Quote from: Upthecut on January 02, 2017, 09:22:47 PM
Folks, looking to head away at the start of July with the boss and 2 kids. Thinking of mainland Spain or one of the islands. Any recommendations for all-inclusive hotels?
try magic natura.  Its just outside benidorm.  We didnt leave the compound once and spent the total of 30 euro while there.

I'd hope not,  getting quoted just shy of 4k for a week in August!  Hard to hide it himucker  ;)

4 feckin' grand for a week?! That is utter madness.
Stockholm is a lovely city to visit in summer.
Lots to do too

macdanger2

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 03, 2017, 12:34:33 PM
Quote from: Declan on January 03, 2017, 11:23:01 AM
Anyone been to Hawaii?

Half thinking of heading there this year with the missus

I was in Hawaii for 5 days back in the late early noughties. We stayed on a beach house on the north shore of Oahu. Beautiful. It was thanksgiving and there were sea turtles coming out of the ocean to lay eggs. We had a barbeque on the beach, cooking Mahi Mahi that I caught out deep sea fishing.

Went snorkeling in Hanuama Bay, and that was unbelievable. Waikiki Beach was grand, Honolulu was fine, with Diamond Head and the whole lot there, sipping a Mai Tai watching the sunset, but my favourite bits were the Snorkelling in Hanuama Bay, the Deep Sea fishing and subsequent beach barbeque and visiting Pearl Harbo(u)r. Pearl Harbor was eerie with the Arizona still there just below the surface, and the memorial with all the names straddling the stricken ship.

Hawaii is fantastic, and that was even before you talk about some of the other Islands like Lanai and Maui and Kauai, which some people prefer for their natural beauty.

I have a friend living there now, in Oahu. He moved there from Arizona about 10 years ago. He's gone completely native. Was always into the Greenpeace thing, but now he's full on Hawaiian shirts, Aloha, Maholo and the rest. Seems to be a great lifestyle.

Sounds class

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Declan on January 03, 2017, 01:44:14 PM
Cheers for that AZ - yep the trip I was looking at takes in the other islands as well. Will keep the investigating going
Maui is  a beautiful place to visit , sunrise at the top of the Haleakala and driving the Hana Highway are two must do's

Upthecut

Folks, looking to head away at the start of July with the boss and 2 kids. Thinking of mainland Spain or one of the islands. Any recommendations for all-inclusive hotels?
try magic natura.  Its just outside benidorm.  We didnt leave the compound once and spent the total of 30 euro while there.

Thanks HiMucker. If you don't mind me asking why room type would you recommend? Plenty of options there.

Muck Savage

Quote from: Declan on January 03, 2017, 11:23:01 AM
Anyone been to Hawaii?

Half thinking of heading there this year with the missus

Been to a number of the Islands so really depends on what you're after. For me the Big Island is the best of the lot. We stayed in Kona and Hilo. On the west side (Kona) it's mostly sunny with a huge amount of hidden beaches along the coast north of Kona. Typically you park your can on the road and walk about a mile across the lava rocks to the beach. We went to several where we were the only ones on the beach with turtles and all color fish swimming beside you.
One the East side it tends to have more rain but that also leaves the place like a rainforest. The drive south s beautiful. At the north of the island there is a real cool cove called Waipio valley, we went horse back riding there. This island has very little night life but lots of places to see, lava flow at the south, coffee farms etc.

Maui is nice but a little more commercialized than the Big Island. If you just want to chill on the beach and enjoy the sea life this is a good place. Lots of nice beaches on the north of the Island.

O'ahu - This is the party island, so if that is what you want this is the best place. Night clubs, shopping, beach is the main thing here.

Hope this helps

I read somewhere recently that by 2050 all the coral will be gone due to rising ocean temperatures.

Declan

Thanks for that Muck Savage - very helpful. It'll be mostly relaxing as my party days are long gone ;)

Billys Boots

Anyone any recommendations for Norway (apart from don't go because it's so expensive)?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

seafoid

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 04, 2017, 11:46:04 AM
Anyone any recommendations for Norway (apart from don't go because it's so expensive)?
Trondheim is lovely. The Germans left behind a naval base
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Billys Boots

Quote from: seafoid on January 04, 2017, 11:59:41 AM

Only going as far as Oslo. 

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 04, 2017, 01:39:46 PM

So "any recommendations for Oslo" then?

Billys Boots

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 04, 2017, 02:00:49 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on January 04, 2017, 01:39:46 PM

So "any recommendations for Oslo" then?

Yes Tony, that is more accurate.  Thanks.

The Subbie

Quote from: Rois on December 05, 2016, 02:05:58 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 05, 2016, 01:36:06 PM
Looking for recommendations for somewhere in Europe for 4-5 days in the summer. Neither myself or the missus are interested in lying on the beach and prefer city breaks, but as we are taking the 2 elder wains we'd need a mix of both to avoid a major ruckus.

I was thinking of somewhere like Barcelona but I have been there twice before, so suggestions for somewhere similar with access to sights/sites of interest, beach/water/theme park and nice food and drink are welcome.
I haven't been but Lisbon feels like it might hit some of what you want - I like the idea that it's a train ride from the beach and you could easily stay out at the coast and make the trips in that you need to.

Lisbon is a great city and Cais Cais is a brilliant wee beach side town that is 1/2 hour train journey to the centre of Lisbon.
Have went to both and can highly highly recommend as an alternative to Barcelona, accommodation , food & drink substantially cheaper than Barcelona.

HiMucker

Quote from: Upthecut on January 03, 2017, 08:17:57 PM

Thanks HiMucker. If you don't mind me asking why room type would you recommend? Plenty of options there.
We just got a basic cabin with two bedrooms. Two wanes in one room and the baby in the cot.  I wouldnt bother with any of the rooms with sea view or pool view.  They didnt seem any better.  There is golf buggies beating about every 5 mins so you dont need to worry about walking if your knackered.  You can bring bottles of wine up to the cabin at the end of the night also.  Unlimited access to zoo and water park.  Its cheaper with jet2 than booking seaprately and you dont need to worry about your backage.

mrdeeds

Booked a few days in Bratislava with the missus mainly for cheap beer and food. Anything else to do or any recommendations for a good bar or restaurant?