Mayo v Kerry (MacHale Park, 13/3/2016, 2.30pm)

Started by moysider, March 07, 2016, 10:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: moysider on March 13, 2016, 07:12:51 PM

Depressing stuff. A big step backwards today.

We got a lesson today how to control a game and use possession wisely and productively. Our lads are putting in big shifts but it's laboured and naïve.
Once we went a few points down again it was as good as over. Even against 14 men and playing at home we were beaten from a long way out.

As McGregor said after his fight with Diaz 'I feel I was simply inefficient with my energy'. The different uses of energy from both teams was the key. Todays game reminded me of our game v Donegal in the QF last August. We got a goal just before half time and another early in the second. And after that just Toyed with Donegal. Holding them at arms length and holding possession without having to be urgent.

sligoman2

I was at this game and was very surprised at how poor the shooting for Mayo was.  Lack of a free taker was big as Henelly must have had four wides from frees.  Mayo were in control in the first half and Kerry scored a goal before half time to leave them only a point down.  I thought Parsons played well but the gooch turned on the magic in the last 15 minutes.

Ciliary  o'Connor is a huge loss to Mayo as are the Castlebar contingent.

Roscommon game should be a tasty affair alright.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

From the Bunker

StephenC

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 13, 2016, 08:31:52 PM
No penalty, no black card?

Aye. This was a crazy decision. I know he got a point from it but it was a blatant penalty and yellow card.

From the Bunker

Quote from: StephenC on March 13, 2016, 08:50:36 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 13, 2016, 08:31:52 PM
No penalty, no black card?

Aye. This was a crazy decision. I know he got a point from it but it was a blatant penalty and yellow card.

O'Shea scoring a point, took the decision away from the referee and allowed him to bottle two important decisions.

sligoman2

The ref was terrible imo and gave a lot of easy frees to Kerry (especially the Gooch).
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

From the Bunker

Quote from: sligoman2 on March 13, 2016, 10:10:12 PM
The ref was terrible imo and gave a lot of easy frees to Kerry (especially the Gooch).

Cafferkey just had no answer to what the Referee expected from him! Any form of contact on Cooper was blown up. Some of the frees given were embarrassing. Anyway that's what you have to put up with.

highorlow

How many chances does henelly and Doherty need? Bad sign when we have to bring on gibbons to play as a forward.

The surface of the pitch was cat, I walked across it afterwards. Didn't lend itself to AOS style of play.

Nothing from our play to evidence where the management has planned for particular situations, i.e, we are 4 up with 5 minutes left in the half, any management would shore up defence and take that lead into 2 nd half, the sideline failed on that. Why was Regan dropped? Why was keegan and donie given man marking roles? Why did we leave it so late for subs? Why did we play backwards ball from frees and why were these so slow?

The management have questions to answer after today. Embarrassment losing with such ease in front of such a huge crowd. Hopefully the local and national media come down hard on that performance.

Some positives were parsons, macloughlin, Nally and SOS (at times).

p.s we need to forget this sweeper bullshit also. We should have no fear of any team. Time to play man to man ball.!
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Ringfort

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 13, 2016, 10:18:04 PM

Cafferkey just had no answer to what the Referee expected from him! Any form of contact on Cooper was blown up. Some of the frees given were embarrassing. Anyway that's what you have to put up with.

I know they are completely different build but I felt the same today watching Ros try to contain Michael Murphy. He got possession and barrelled into contact. Immediate whistle and free in. We have little or no experience playing the marquee names. Is this what you are up against all the time?

In fairness to MM I've seen him take ferocious abuse in the UFC in recent years and I'm sure refs are hyper keen to protect him.

Syferus

Quote from: Ringfort on March 13, 2016, 11:33:27 PM

I know they are completely different build but I felt the same today watching Ros try to contain Michael Murphy. He got possession and barrelled into contact. Immediate whistle and free in. We have little or no experience playing the marquee names. Is this what you are up against all the time?

In fairness to MM I've seen him take ferocious abuse in the UFC in recent years and I'm sure refs are hyper keen to protect him.

Luckily the only place he was getting possession was cheaply out the field. Couldn't live with Collins in the air at all. Murphy got a couple in the second half but the rest were frees. Very subdued apart from his mouthing to the ref.

Jinxy

;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Beffs

Yep. You're not going to know what's hit you, if you find yourself playing a fit James O'Donoghue, in Croke Park, in late summer.  ::)

Syferus

Quote from: Beffs on March 14, 2016, 12:15:59 AM

Yep. You're not going to know what's hit you, if you find yourself playing a fit James O'Donoghue, in Croke Park, in late summer.  ::)

James' shoulder would probably pop if you gave him a fright at this stage. So I wouldn't hold my breath on the fit part.

Beffs

Unfit too. Unfortunately for the opposition. His falling to the ground in spasms of agony, clutching his shoulder as if he has just been shot, has won Kerry many a free over the past couple of years. Personally, I'd give him an Oscar, instead of all the frees, but that might be just me.  ::)

Mayo4Sam

Kerry deserved that win, we were so far ahead in the first half and still went in only a point up.

Accepting that Kerry deserved to win the referreeing was disgraceful. Every time mayo won the ball in midfield they were fouled by Sheehan, Donaghy and O'Mahony, not some of the time, all of the time. And no sign of a card from the ref. The sending off of DOC was an absolute disgrace, it basically said its ok to kick the ball away down the line and if u try and get it bank it's a yellow card, I can't remember the last time I was as disgusted at a decision

Outside of COC we really have no inside forward, if we're going to kick it into AOS and COS then we need runners off them to take a pop pass. I thought at times yesterday we insisted on kicking it in when we would have been better playing our traditional running game. A mixture of the two is needed surely, so if the long ball isn't on then run it. You can only lump it in if the option is there!
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me