Rule Change Needed to Stop Puke Keep-Ball

Started by cjx, July 15, 2018, 11:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: themac_23 on June 15, 2022, 03:27:59 PM
Stop keepers coming up to take frees and 45s kills about 2 mins at a time.

Or teach forwards how to kick the ball again

Milltown Row2

If they'd play like juveniles still do they'd be grand, up and down the pitch forward passes and plenty of attempts on goals/points 15 on 15 and most players staying in their general positions
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

onefineday

Agree, 30 sec limit on a any free, use it or lose it.

Good to see a consensus has emerged around what's needed (and I'm ignoring those who think it's grand as it is and we're letting a few high profile games influence our thinking - my guess is they don't watch much club football).
1. Remove forward mark
2. Ball cannot travel back over the halfway line
3. 3 players from each team must remain in each half at all times
4. Keeper can't accept a pass from teammate unless he's inside his own 21 (can't fathom people saying nobody would want to do goals anymore, have they missed the first 130 odd years of Gaelic football and started watching 3 years ago??).

All above rules are easily policed at all club senior levels and don't require additional refs or equipment installed.

I think rule changes are due to be considered ahead of 2023, so who do we send these off to? I presume you're all happy that we say they represent the views of the foremost Ulster gaa discussion board?

Derryman forever

general_lee

Quote from: Derryman forever on June 20, 2022, 06:33:49 AM
They don't represent  mine.
Apart from the removal of the forward mark (which is a load of shite) I disagree with the rest of that

tyrone08

Quote from: onefineday on June 20, 2022, 12:59:47 AM

Good to see a consensus has emerged around what's needed (and I'm ignoring those who think it's grand as it is and we're letting a few high profile games influence our thinking - my guess is they don't watch much club football).
1. Remove forward mark
4. Keeper can't accept a pass from teammate unless he's inside his own 21 (can't fathom people saying nobody would want to do goals anymore, have they missed the first 130 odd years of Gaelic football and started watching 3 years ago??).

All above rules are easily policed at all club senior levels and don't require additional refs or equipment installed.

I think rule changes are due to be considered ahead of 2023, so who do we send these off to? I presume you're all happy that we say they represent the views of the foremost Ulster gaa discussion board?

So you expect a ref to keep up with the attacking play while trying to monitor potential off the ball fouls along with keeping one eye back down the field to ensure  3 players remain in the other half of the field while also ensuring that no pass goes back past the halfway line.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: general_lee on June 20, 2022, 07:58:05 AM
Apart from the removal of the forward mark (which is a load of shite) I disagree with the rest of that
+1
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Milltown Row2

1. Remove forward mark

Send them to your club sec if you are in a club and they'll review them (wont take long) and they'll have a little chuckle and come back with "computer says no"
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Throw It Up Ref

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 20, 2022, 08:35:25 AM
+1
+2

Trying to manipulate the spectacle of the sport through rule changes is a very difficult thing to do. Rather than trying to change fundamentals of the game and adding more onus on the referees in my opinion the law makers would be better focussing in on preventing teams from intentionally slowing play and committing cynical fouls. The game is blighted by intentional fouls and players delaying free kicks as a way to provide time for their team mates to get into cover. Very hard to clamp own on the fouls themselves as most are minor infractions. It would be good to see players picking up cards for intentionally delaying a free kick or midfield mark being taken. Moving the ball up is great but its also slow and not really advantageous if the other team has time to get cover in place.

We also have the absurd situation where nearly 10 years after the black card was introduced there are still loopholes to cynically foul a player through on the goal and not pick one up.

marty34

Quote from: Throw It Up Ref on June 20, 2022, 09:16:51 AM
+1
+2

Trying to manipulate the spectacle of the sport through rule changes is a very difficult thing to do. Rather than trying to change fundamentals of the game and adding more onus on the referees in my opinion the law makers would be better focussing in on preventing teams from intentionally slowing play and committing cynical fouls. The game is blighted by intentional fouls and players delaying free kicks as a way to provide time for their team mates to get into cover. Very hard to clamp own on the fouls themselves as most are minor infractions. It would be good to see players picking up cards for intentionally delaying a free kick or midfield mark being taken. Moving the ball up is great but its also slow and not really advantageous if the other team has time to get cover in place.

We also have the absurd situation where nearly 10 years after the black card was introduced there are still loopholes to cynically foul a player through on the goal and not pick one up.

Correct.  Too much emphasis on Cavanagh's rugby style tackle instead of looking at the thing in the round.

A simple pull on the jersey or a 'clumbsy tackle' in the same situation and you'll be ok.

trueblue1234

1. Remove forward mark

Good to see there's a consensus that this post is nonsense.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

onefineday

I'd love to know what your objections are to the rest of them? Do people like the endless recycling keep ball they current rules permit and which are permeating through the game at all levels?

onefineday

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 20, 2022, 08:52:44 AM

1. Remove forward mark

Send them to your club sec if you are in a club and they'll review them (wont take long) and they'll have a little chuckle and come back with "computer says no"
Maybe I am the secretary!!
Thought I'd at least get support from you, given your lauding of proper football being played at u15 level. Do you feel that football should continue as is, or do we need rule tweaks to make the game a spectacle again? Being honest, I'd be surprised if there aren't pretty significant changes proposed by the rules committee this year - the vitriol down here around the Ulster final is unparalleled.in my experience. What's worse in my eyes is that every club in the country trying the same thing, I can't for the life of me understand why so many people are happy to watch it or don't accept that tweaking rules is exactly what sports administrators do in order to make their game a better product to watch and play.

onefineday

Quote from: Throw It Up Ref on June 20, 2022, 09:16:51 AM
+1
+2

Agree fully, the Shane mcguigan incident in the Ulster final was a case in point, totally in the spirit of a black card, but technically probably correctly not a black card.
Worse was the Lee Chin incident at the weekend, he's dragged to floor in a rugby tackle, two hands around his leg, but, because there was a possibility that two Clare lads could cut off his run to goal, no penalty and no black card. Seems to have been technically correct, which proves how ridiculous the rule is.

Jell 0 Biafra

Bringing in a rule that says no passing backwards into your own half once you've crossed halfway would give teams an incentive not to cross the halfway line until they were sure they had a move on.  It would, I think, increase the amount of lateral and backwards passing you see in the game rather than reduce it.

I'm not advocating this, but if backwards/lateral passing is a problem you want addressed, then maybe a rule that all passes must be forward  would be the better way to go.