Rule Change Needed to Stop Puke Keep-Ball

Started by cjx, July 15, 2018, 11:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derryman forever

Quote from: 03,05,08 on June 14, 2022, 01:52:37 PM
Not a big fan of loads of rule changes but would something like for kickouts teams have to have all players in their position area for the kick, most likely there are ways this can be exploited, but just an idea

Referee would need a lot of eyes.

themac_23

The Forward mark has to go, look at the Armagh goal at the start on Sunday. So many forwards would now just fire the hand up and take a point. It's a cop out and safe option. The Kildare forwards didn't use it a good few times on sat as well, refreshing to see proper corner forward play again

tbrick18

Quote from: tiempo on June 14, 2022, 02:15:08 PM
How about this for an idea. Stop bitching and get on with it.

Actually I'll indulge myself one rule change. Bin the forward mark, its disproportionately unfair on defenders. Otherwise the game is optimised. If you don't like kickout strategy chess/discussion and a game that requires some sort of IQ for success perhaps follow something else, or join a lodge maybe

Yep.
That's my thinking on it too.

AustinPowers

Quote from: trailer on June 14, 2022, 02:39:34 PM
Not a big fan of loads of rule changes but would something like for kickouts teams have to have all players in their position area for the kick, most likely there are ways this can be exploited, but just an idea

After a goal the game should restart with a throw up in MF. Players back in traditional positions. Clock obv stopped and time added on appropriately.
Bin forward, backward and sideways mark. Mark from a Kick out I'm kind of ok with.

I would throw it up  after every score. There must be 6 v 6 in defence and attack. It would get rid of the mass defence and we could see lots of goals similar to  Grugan's  on Sunday.

This tapping it out to the corner back, followed by 200 fist passes, and still in your own half nonsense is boring the hole off people .

blanketattack

Basketball had this same issue of keep ball in the 1950s, and it was solved with the introduction of a shot clock of 24 seconds.
A shot clock in Gaelic Football would have a similar success I reckon, maybe around the minute mark.
It might have to be similar to Hawkeye in that it can only be implemented some of the time e.g. from provincial finals onwards and implemented by someone besides the ref.

Hound

A shot clock would literally force the defensive team to have all 15 men inside their own 45 , so the attacking team is restricted to long range efforts at the clock runs out.

Were people not entertained at the weekend? Under the current rules.

Leave them alone. If managers are stupid enough to play full on defence and never push up on opponents kick outs, then leave them at it and let them continue to be losers. Positive play pays off

trueblue1234

Quote from: AustinPowers on June 14, 2022, 09:16:22 PM

After a goal the game should restart with a throw up in MF. Players back in traditional positions. Clock obv stopped and time added on appropriately.
Bin forward, backward and sideways mark. Mark from a Kick out I'm kind of ok with.

I would throw it up  after every score. There must be 6 v 6 in defence and attack. It would get rid of the mass defence and we could see lots of goals similar to  Grugan's  on Sunday.

This tapping it out to the corner back, followed by 200 fist passes, and still in your own half nonsense is boring the hole off people .

This will slow the game down no end. While people jog back into position. Ball out of play as much as it's in. Be like an American football game.

Give me the quick kick out any day.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Dabh

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 15, 2022, 09:20:55 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on June 14, 2022, 09:16:22 PM

will this not just result up with the 'inferior' midfielders grapling, dragging, holding, blocking, fouling, faking head injuries... anything to prevent the armagh type long ball into the full forward.

i see Gary Brennan in the Examiner this week propose 'having just one player from each team contest the throw-in with the other two players outside the 65m line' to overcome the consistent fouling at the throw-in.  Would have certainly suited him as a player.

Dreadnought

Quote from: blanketattack on June 14, 2022, 11:59:46 PM
Basketball had this same issue of keep ball in the 1950s, and it was solved with the introduction of a shot clock of 24 seconds.
A shot clock in Gaelic Football would have a similar success I reckon, maybe around the minute mark.
It might have to be similar to Hawkeye in that it can only be implemented some of the time e.g. from provincial finals onwards and implemented by someone besides the ref.

If you can't see how this would be easily counteracted, then I don't know what to say. You would ruin the game with this one rule

trailer

What about taking quick free kicks. Even if there is a booking. What about kicking it to yourself? A solo? Would speed things up and really punish the foul. Teams try and foul players to slow it down. Hat tip to Gary Lineker who said this about soccer.

Louther

Quote from: trailer on June 15, 2022, 11:56:55 AM
What about taking quick free kicks. Even if there is a booking. What about kicking it to yourself? A solo? Would speed things up and really punish the foul. Teams try and foul players to slow it down. Hat tip to Gary Lineker who said this about soccer.

One of the things I hate to see is a player who has won a free and who tries to play it quick from a metre or 2 away where free was awarded. Ball played quick to keep momentum and ref calls it back and argues with player who took it quick. Advantage lost over a metre or 2 and not as if it a scoring free.

Good refs let this go and keep game moving. Allowing the advantage of taking free quickly from current position rather than position of foul could help providing it not a scoring opportunity.

Armagh18

Quote from: Louther on June 15, 2022, 12:03:14 PM

One of the things I hate to see is a player who has won a free and who tries to play it quick from a metre or 2 away where free was awarded. Ball played quick to keep momentum and ref calls it back and argues with player who took it quick. Advantage lost over a metre or 2 and not as if it a scoring free.

Good refs let this go and keep game moving. Allowing the advantage of taking free quickly from current position rather than position of foul could help providing it not a scoring opportunity.
Completely agree with that, you're punishing the player that was fouled by making them come back a yard or two and letting the other team get set up.

tonto1888

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 15, 2022, 12:06:40 PM

Completely agree with that, you're punishing the player that was fouled by making them come back a yard or two and letting the other team get set up.

I disagree with this. Just take the free from where the foul occurs. Its not that hard

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 15, 2022, 01:31:35 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 15, 2022, 12:06:40 PM

I disagree with this. Just take the free from where the foul occurs. Its not that hard

I wouldn't normally debate over a yard or two but some lads take the fecking piss and take from where the ball rolled off to, most ref's will bring it back if they aint ready too, but I'll be honest I've yet to see too many forward passes from a free unless its in a scoreable position.... straight back to the keeper would be the norm
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

themac_23

Stop keepers coming up to take frees and 45s kills about 2 mins at a time.