Rule Change Needed to Stop Puke Keep-Ball

Started by cjx, July 15, 2018, 11:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingowings

Always liked the idea of a no back court rule so you can't go back to your own half however I feel that on it's own just provided another advantage to defence. Although it's been tried already and ditched I feel a hand pass limit rule with a no back court rule is the way to go.

Limit consecutive hand passes to 2 until attacking team enters opposition 45 then unlimited consecutive hand passes allowed here.

This way teams will have to move the ball forward quickly, teams will need to leave men up the pitch to receive kicks and will incentivise defending teams to push up and go man to man to turn the ball over given a team will be forced to kick.

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on June 10, 2022, 10:21:50 PM
Quote from: Estimator on June 10, 2022, 10:12:01 PM
Brolly's new rule suggestions:

1.  The ball cannot be passed back to the goalkeeper.
2.  Kick-outs must go beyond the 45'.
3.  The ball can't go back into your half after passing the halfway line.
4.  Put an official in each half to ensure no sweepers are played, with a failure to follow the rule resulting in a 21-yard free for the opposition.

1. Why would anyone ever want to be a keeper if they can't play a little bit of ball? We may as well dress him in armour like hockey keepers.

2. Impractical when the wind is up.

Any suggestion of double scores for shots beyond the 45 or whatever also has big implications on a windy day. Wind is hardly unusual in Ireland.

I think the only implementable rule is one to require teams to keep 3 players (or some other number) in each half.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

From the Bunker

Adhere to the 4 step rule! Any player who takes even what resembles an extra step is pulled. Most players take a minimum of 6 these days.

No hand passes allowed within your own half.

No ball allowed back into your own half once crossed.

No Fisted points unless they are volleyed.

13 players on each side.

Stall the Bailer

Four changes I would like trialed.
1. Remove the forward mark.
2. Remove the back pass rule to goalkeeper on kickouts
3. Increase the size of the semi circle from 13m to 20m. All kickouts must go outside it and all players must be outside it for the kickout.
4. After a goal is scored the game is restarted by a throw in like the start of game/second half, 6 in each half and 2 in mid field per team. Any team delaying the restart will result in a free for the other team in mid field.

Fear ón Srath Bán

1 rule change at a time FFS, it's not like there's a magic bullet, but we do need to see what may, or may not work. Too many laws of unintended consequences at play with each potential change.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Best game in the world apparently, according to RTE today. 2 weeks ago it needed massive surgery.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

armaghniac

Quote from: ONeill on June 12, 2022, 10:45:49 PM
Best game in the world apparently, according to RTE today. 2 weeks ago it needed massive surgery.

Armagh were not playing 2 weeks ago.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Dreadnought

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 11, 2022, 07:56:56 PM
1 rule change at a time FFS, it's not like there's a magic bullet, but we do need to see what may, or may not work. Too many laws of unintended consequences at play with each potential change.

Absolutely. This obsession with wanting to change the game drastically on the back of a few high profile games is madness. Try one rule change, with a trial of sorts first to see what the end result of the change is. A rule change can be well intentioned, but you never know how it works until being used. And then you've got the top coaches of the day who'll find a workaround. You could make something that was annoying but not a big deal into a far worse problem. And it needs to be able to be applied to the club game. Do slight changes at a time, if it needs to be done. Not 4 or 5 massive rule changes

Hound

Some very entertaining matches this weekend. It seems more managers are copping on that pushing up on opposition kickouts is more beneficial than dropping everyone back and conceding the kickouts.

Throw It Up Ref

Quote from: armaghniac on June 11, 2022, 12:51:33 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 10, 2022, 10:21:50 PM
Quote from: Estimator on June 10, 2022, 10:12:01 PM
Brolly's new rule suggestions:

1.  The ball cannot be passed back to the goalkeeper.
2.  Kick-outs must go beyond the 45'.
3.  The ball can't go back into your half after passing the halfway line.
4.  Put an official in each half to ensure no sweepers are played, with a failure to follow the rule resulting in a 21-yard free for the opposition.

1. Why would anyone ever want to be a keeper if they can't play a little bit of ball? We may as well dress him in armour like hockey keepers.

2. Impractical when the wind is up.

Any suggestion of double scores for shots beyond the 45 or whatever also has big implications on a windy day. Wind is hardly unusual in Ireland.

I think the only implementable rule is one to require teams to keep 3 players (or some other number) in each half.

I don't think Brolly has put much thought into this. He's speaking for the sake of speaking.

1.  The ball cannot be passed back to the goalkeeper. As mentioned by previous posters who in under god would want to do nets
2.  Kick-outs must go beyond the 45'. Teams will just pull all their forwards back behind the opposition 45. Kick outs will become a scrappy mess with so many bodies in the same zone
3.  The ball can't go back into your half after passing the halfway line. Encourages teams to drop off and wait at the halfway line before launching a press as soon as the opposition cross the halfway line knowing the opposition are trapped
4.  Put an official in each half to ensure no sweepers are played, with a failure to follow the rule resulting in a 21-yard free for the opposition. Don't understand how you're supposed to police this. If a forward gets away from his man and a team mate covers for the defender it's a free?

Milltown Row2

How many more officials do they want and how can this be carried out at club level at all grades?  Referees in places are doing 2 games in a day!! The forward/back mark is bad enough to cover, being outside/inside the D at kick outs is literally called at every game by clowns..

Football consists of walking a lot sideways and back, and burst of speed to the 21 and then back again..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Not a big fan of loads of rule changes but would something like for kickouts teams have to have all players in their position area for the kick, most likely there are ways this can be exploited, but just an idea

tiempo

How about this for an idea. Stop bitching and get on with it.

Actually I'll indulge myself one rule change. Bin the forward mark, its disproportionately unfair on defenders. Otherwise the game is optimised. If you don't like kickout strategy chess/discussion and a game that requires some sort of IQ for success perhaps follow something else, or join a lodge maybe

Louther

Can trick and mess with rules all you like. Managers have time and ways to make the game negative.

Joe Brollys suggested rules laughable particularly the one round the extra free to spot a sweeper.

Limit the game preparation time as they seem to spend it fine tuning rigid defensive systems and keep ball. I think the qualifiers produce better games cause the teams have a week before they play each other so it's limited time worrying and planning on the opposition. League the same, you know the fixtures but games roll from one to the other.

Ban preseason to 4 weeks  ;D

trailer

Quote from: 03,05,08 on June 14, 2022, 01:52:37 PM
Not a big fan of loads of rule changes but would something like for kickouts teams have to have all players in their position area for the kick, most likely there are ways this can be exploited, but just an idea

After a goal the game should restart with a throw up in MF. Players back in traditional positions. Clock obv stopped and time added on appropriately.
Bin forward, backward and sideways mark. Mark from a Kick out I'm kind of ok with.