Rule Change Needed to Stop Puke Keep-Ball

Started by cjx, July 15, 2018, 11:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 09, 2022, 10:16:13 AM
Quote from: sligoman2 on June 08, 2022, 04:25:24 PM
When people like myself, (who has played the game and watched the game for many years) stop watching live games (unless Sligo are involved), then there is a major problem with football.  I know there are many like myself now who would rather just watch the Sunday Game to see the highlights rather than suffer through an hour and a half of hand passing, back passing, loaded defenses, strategic kickouts etc.

Agree that this is due to stats, coaching and fear of losing - all of these things have been effective for teams but unfortunately at the total expense of the enjoyment factor.  Coaches won't change so the rules must before it's too late.

But there's just as many who don't want to see a return to hoofball, where the ball is bate from on side of the pitch to the other with little in between. Your not going to keep everyone happy. Football of the 80's and 90's are being viewed through very rosey specs in my opinion. Plus you had less games televised, so you didn't get your fill of it as easy.

I've mentioned before, did a juvenile game the other week, end to end stuff, not just hoofing the ball but 15 on 15 game, no defensive stuff, very entertaining..

Those who employ the defensive tactics are spoiling it, fear of losing or fear of losing by too much is the core of this, I'd no problems playing a sweeper against teams that were much stronger than us or against a stiff breeze, but you are limiting your scoring options, but they have tweak it and this counter attack with possession football will be very hard to change.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trueblue1234

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 09, 2022, 11:40:18 AM
When people like myself, (who has played the game and watched the game for many years) stop watching live games (unless Sligo are involved), then there is a major problem with football.  I know there are many like myself now who would rather just watch the Sunday Game to see the highlights rather than suffer through an hour and a half of hand passing, back passing, loaded defenses, strategic kickouts etc.

Agree that this is due to stats, coaching and fear of losing - all of these things have been effective for teams but unfortunately at the total expense of the enjoyment factor.  Coaches won't change so the rules must before it's too late.

But there's just as many who don't want to see a return to hoofball, where the ball is bate from on side of the pitch to the other with little in between. Your not going to keep everyone happy. Football of the 80's and 90's are being viewed through very rosey specs in my opinion. Plus you had less games televised, so you didn't get your fill of it as easy.

I've mentioned before, did a juvenile game the other week, end to end stuff, not just hoofing the ball but 15 on 15 game, no defensive stuff, very entertaining..

Those who employ the defensive tactics are spoiling it, fear of losing or fear of losing by too much is the core of this, I'd no problems playing a sweeper against teams that were much stronger than us or against a stiff breeze, but you are limiting your scoring options, but they have tweak it and this counter attack with possession football will be very hard to change.

I just think you are over doing it. So there's a few defensive games. It's no big deal. As I've said there were crap games in all eras but we don't need to keep making changes. Your never going to get rid of all the bad games. Tactics will change, develop etc. and that's going to happen regardless of any changes.
I don't think it's possible to make a change that will solely have a positive impact, with no side effects that would actually cut out defensive play. Poorer teams in all sports try defensive play to control the impact of superior players. It's just a natural occurrence and always will be.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 09, 2022, 12:02:14 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 09, 2022, 11:40:18 AM

I just think you are over doing it. So there's a few defensive games. It's no big deal. As I've said there were crap games in all eras but we don't need to keep making changes. Your never going to get rid of all the bad games. Tactics will change, develop etc. and that's going to happen regardless of any changes.
I don't think it's possible to make a change that will solely have a positive impact, with no side effects that would actually cut out defensive play. Poorer teams in all sports try defensive play to control the impact of superior players. It's just a natural occurrence and always will be.

I think the problem is when you step down to intermediate and junior club matches defensive football can look like trying not to lose but no actual plan in how to win the game. You aren't going to get a 0-0 or sneak a 1-0 in football. Years ago teams may have got stuffed or the game was crap standard but it didn't feel as negative as it does now. I don't know what level of club games you watch but some of it is terrible to watch.

sligoman2

`I'm not advocating hoofball - I'm simply saying that football is being left in the dark compared to hurling in terms of entertainment value.  People go to football games to be entertained not to witness 1,000 hand passes.  Entertainment and attendances are directly correlated so eventually many people will stop going to these games.  If we don't think we need to enact some changes to change this, then I fear very much for the future of football.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

trueblue1234

Quote from: sligoman2 on June 09, 2022, 02:08:45 PM
`I'm not advocating hoofball - I'm simply saying that football is being left in the dark compared to hurling in terms of entertainment value.  People go to football games to be entertained not to witness 1,000 hand passes.  Entertainment and attendances are directly correlated so eventually many people will stop going to these games.  If we don't think we need to enact some changes to change this, then I fear very much for the future of football.

That would be open to debate. I'm much rather watch any football game than a hurling one. Just a personal preference. And entertainment is subjective. Is a turkey shoot entertaining? Not in my eyes. I was never turning off from the UF this year, but I'd sure as hell tune out from some of the Leinster games.
I just don't believe people will turn off as there's always been bad games. People know that. 
The cost of living is a bigger issue to the GAA at the minute and they aren't helping much in that front.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Maroon Manc

This has probably been mentioned before but would giving 2 points for scores from outside the 45m line (or from a new bigger D) change how defensive the game has become?

Not in favour of a stop clock but something like this would encourage teams to shoot more and in theory should make it more entertaining for a variety of reasons.

Ranty

I see that this debate has been here on this thread since 2018 and we are no nearer a consensus.
I agree with the poster who thinks back passes should be outlawed as this would surely promote a watchable game where the opposition will have a decent chance of retrieving the ball.
I fail to understand how people find the new hurling more watchable than gaelic football with all it's faults.   Frees at least every minute and this excludes a hell of a lot more undetectable fouls, like throwing, arm holding etc etc.  and the majority of scores with such a small ball are from frees and most likely unseen until the umpire raises a flag.   I mourn the day when players could pull on the sliotar on the ground and in the air, and there were no rucks or scrums.   
Having said that, I switched off the recent Derry game as I simply didn't find that stuff remotely entertaining and I'm not from Ulster.

mayoman dan

Would banning the back pass to the goalkeeper completely solve the problem???
The goalkeeper is normally the extra man.If he was taken out of the equation would it encourage the team without the ball to push up and engage the team with the ball.

Armagh18

Quote from: mayoman dan on June 09, 2022, 04:05:04 PM
Would banning the back pass to the goalkeeper completely solve the problem???
The goalkeeper is normally the extra man.If he was taken out of the equation would it encourage the team without the ball to push up and engage the team with the ball.
Get away did you not see Ethan Rafferty on Sunday? ;)

restorepride

Quote from: Ranty on June 09, 2022, 03:13:57 PM
I see that this debate has been here on this thread since 2018 and we are no nearer a consensus.
I agree with the poster who thinks back passes should be outlawed as this would surely promote a watchable game where the opposition will have a decent chance of retrieving the ball.
I fail to understand how people find the new hurling more watchable than gaelic football with all it's faults.   Frees at least every minute and this excludes a hell of a lot more undetectable fouls, like throwing, arm holding etc etc.  and the majority of scores with such a small ball are from frees and most likely unseen until the umpire raises a flag.   I mourn the day when players could pull on the sliotar on the ground and in the air, and there were no rucks or scrums.   
Having said that, I switched off the recent Derry game as I simply didn't find that stuff remotely entertaining and I'm not from Ulster.
That was exactly the right thing to do. Keep it off. Derry won anyway!!

tbrick18

The debate is subjective in my view.
There were always crap games, we just didnt see so many on tv so it wasnt talked about so much.

A few people saying that people will stop watching. Clones was a sell out for the Ulster final and everyone knew what type of game that would be before it started.
Plenty of people on here talking about it, so it must have been watched on TV too.
And I'd imagine of that same game was an AI final, Croker would be sold out also.

Different doesn't necessarily mean worse. Some people will always hark back to the good old days of kick ball. Some will say the game has evolved and is much more technical and requires a higher level of skill and fitness than ever before.
Neither opinion is wrong, just different.

Changing rules won't stop people having different opinions on what is a good game and what is a bad game.
I for one am glad to see the end of the days (hopefully) where Kerry/Dublin carved up the AI's between them and that there are at least a few teams with realistic chances of winning an AI.
I much prefer that than a foregone conclusion.

But for the sake of argument....if there were to be any rule changes I think the only way to make a game more open or less defensive is to reduce the size of the team to 13 aside at senior intercounty level. At least to trial.
Simple to implement, leaves more space on a field encouraging more kicking. Less things for a ref to get wrong.

Milltown Row2

Just lazy on hurling and frees.. 7 frees and 8 frees from both teams on Sunday, which makes your post look a bit silly.. but carry on  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ranty

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 09, 2022, 06:00:32 PM

Just lazy on hurling and frees.. 7 frees and 8 frees from both teams on Sunday, which makes your post look a bit silly.. but carry on  ;D

With nearly 30000 posts you must be very bright.   Some of us can't count.

Milltown Row2

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 09, 2022, 06:00:32 PM

I'm with Ranty on the rucks and scrums though, a lad should be let pull that ball on the ground and scatter a load of the hens hoking and poking for it..

;)