Rule Change Needed to Stop Puke Keep-Ball

Started by cjx, July 15, 2018, 11:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Ref'd a game the other night, under 15 football.. I normally would be hitting around 4 miles per game but last few seasons that's dropped at senior level to well under 4miles. Last night the kids played proper football up and down the pitch. High scoring mistakes here and there but an offensive approach.

Finished up on 4.6 miles, lateral defensive football is like standing still for large parts of the game, most games at senior level are a poor enough spectacle even the players  mention it during the game

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

yellowcard

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 03, 2022, 02:02:09 PM
Ref'd a game the other night, under 15 football.. I normally would be hitting around 4 miles per game but last few seasons that's dropped at senior level to well under 4miles. Last night the kids played proper football up and down the pitch. High scoring mistakes here and there but an offensive approach.

Finished up on 4.6 miles, lateral defensive football is like standing still for large parts of the game, most games at senior level are a poor enough spectacle even the players  mention it during the game

It probably shouldn't be surprising but still very interesting to see the difference in those numbers in black and white. Even in some club games I watch now, during the match people are having conversations about other things going on in the world. The game itself can be a bit of a sideshow but its still a social outing so you still end up attending. Plenty of periods of nothingness during the match allow for this. 

ONeill

The other thing about all these sky-is-falling merchants. Many claim the club is king yet they'll lament the 'product' of the county game when they experience a tactical match like last weekend. McStay's commentary was ridiculous on Sunday.

What does it matter if you have the odd tactical game? Donegal are fairly high scorers and liable to open up next game out.

We should probably go back to the old days and have just 3 games a year on TV to save us from the armageddon pundits.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

full moon

Some really atrocious football today. Louth Cork was very poor stuff. Monaghan Mayo second half was awful no score from either for 21 minutes!

And now I have Clare Meath on and it's the same crap with the atmosphere and edge of a pre season match not championship. Something does need to change for sure.

From the Bunker

The game has been watered down with back-doors, super-8's, Tailteann Cups and what nots. There is no do or die anymore. Teams getting second chances in Competitions they don't care about or that they know they have no hope in.

The game has evolved into a version of Rugby League and Basketball.

yellowcard

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 04, 2022, 08:26:28 PM
The game has been watered down with back-doors, super-8's, Tailteann Cups and what nots. There is no do or die anymore. Teams getting second chances in Competitions they don't care about or that they know they have no hope in.

I agree. Slowly losing faith in Gaelic football as a spectator sport. It's great for the cabal of coaches but it's getting really hard to watch a 70 minute match now. Everything is so rehearsed and the players are all clones of each other following a strict rigid possession based game plan. Haven't seen a decent game all championship.

From the Bunker

Quote from: yellowcard on June 04, 2022, 08:29:21 PM

I agree. Slowly losing faith in Gaelic football as a spectator sport. It's great for the cabal of coaches but it's getting really hard to watch a 70 minute match now. Everything is so rehearsed and the players are all clones of each other following a strict rigid possession based game plan. Haven't seen a decent game all championship.

I don't watch anymore. Maybe switch on to see the last 10 minutes. Anyway, Football Games are not televised anymore. It's all Hurling. RTE know what has viewership. My kids don't watch. They play and enjoy it.

Coaches, tacticians, Managers, trainers have learned how to cynically nullify the opposition. This includes long periods of hold ball and ball recycling.

Eire90

the structure of the championship hurling and football is more of a problem than  defensive tactics

yellowcard

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 04, 2022, 08:54:19 PM

I don't watch anymore. Maybe switch on to see the last 10 minutes. Anyway, Football Games are not televised anymore. It's all Hurling. RTE know what has viewership. My kids don't watch. They play and enjoy it.

Coaches, tacticians, Managers, trainers have learned how to cynically nullify the opposition. This includes long periods of hold ball and ball recycling.

I still enjoy the social aspect of GAA especially at local level but the game of Gaelic football is devoid of enjoyment and entertainment.

Eire90

is there now an over emphasis on gym culture and players bulking up instead of having some players that were fast and nimble are some players just playing to get instagram likes.

yellowcard

Quote from: Eire90 on June 04, 2022, 10:55:51 PM
is there now an over emphasis on gym culture and players bulking up instead of having some players that were fast and nimble are some players just playing to get instagram likes.

I think we're past that era of the bulked up player. It's more about speed, agility, power now just look at how body shapes have changed in the last 10/15 years. There's way less physical contact in the sport so big muscular players with less mobility are not as useful. Kilcoo are a case in point.

The biggest issue is over coaching, analysis and the use of statistics. It's all about risk reduction and cutting out mistakes and possession is king. Makes for a dire spectacle but for players and managers involved in it they can't see the wood from the trees.

onefineday

There's been more hurling in to date because of the championship structure, that'll balance out now.
Both games need rule tweaks in any case as tactics in both games have lessened the spectator appeal. Top level hurling is now a game largely devoid of goals, why bother trying to work a 3 pointer when a 110yd flick of the wrist gets 1/3 of the reward.

didlyi

Quote from: onefineday on June 05, 2022, 08:22:38 AM

There's been more hurling in to date because of the championship structure, that'll balance out now.
Both games need rule tweaks in any case as tactics in both games have lessened the spectator appeal. Top level hurling is now a game largely devoid of goals, why bother trying to work a 3 pointer when a 110yd flick of the wrist gets 1/3 of the reward.

There was 33 goals in the Munster Hurling championship in 11 games.
There was 16 goals in the Ulster Football championship in 8 games
I will leave the maths to you!

sligoman2

When people like myself, (who has played the game and watched the game for many years) stop watching live games (unless Sligo are involved), then there is a major problem with football.  I know there are many like myself now who would rather just watch the Sunday Game to see the highlights rather than suffer through an hour and a half of hand passing, back passing, loaded defenses, strategic kickouts etc.

Agree that this is due to stats, coaching and fear of losing - all of these things have been effective for teams but unfortunately at the total expense of the enjoyment factor.  Coaches won't change so the rules must before it's too late.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

trueblue1234

Quote from: sligoman2 on June 08, 2022, 04:25:24 PM
When people like myself, (who has played the game and watched the game for many years) stop watching live games (unless Sligo are involved), then there is a major problem with football.  I know there are many like myself now who would rather just watch the Sunday Game to see the highlights rather than suffer through an hour and a half of hand passing, back passing, loaded defenses, strategic kickouts etc.

Agree that this is due to stats, coaching and fear of losing - all of these things have been effective for teams but unfortunately at the total expense of the enjoyment factor.  Coaches won't change so the rules must before it's too late.

But there's just as many who don't want to see a return to hoofball, where the ball is bate from on side of the pitch to the other with little in between. Your not going to keep everyone happy. Football of the 80's and 90's are being viewed through very rosey specs in my opinion. Plus you had less games televised, so you didn't get your fill of it as easy.

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit