Rule Change Needed to Stop Puke Keep-Ball

Started by cjx, July 15, 2018, 11:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Quote from: tiempo on May 31, 2022, 10:49:59 AM
Quote from: Derryman forever on May 31, 2022, 10:26:23 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on May 31, 2022, 10:00:12 AM
Some overreaction on here. Was at the game and it was nowhere near as bad as is being made out.

It was a great game and the television coverage on BBC was by adults with an adult understanding of the arm wrestle  this game was gonna be. There is far too many people being influenced by RTEs negative parochial commentary. If your enjoyment is only about high fielding and cricket scores, if that is all you appreciate, you would be better to watch Aussie rules from the eighties. But even Aus
Aussie rules has evolved to an appreciation of tactics and controlling games.

If you must be changing the rules for the so called "purists" then maybe we could divide the pitch into 15 parts so that we can go back to playing catch and kick like in the 50s and 60s man on man and no double teaming.

Not for the first time Kevin McStay has a pop at Ulster teams style of play after sending St Brigids out to play anti-football against Crossmaglen in the club All-Ireland

Wicklow is the 16th most populated county in Ireland, more than Mayo, Louth, Cavan, Roscommon  and Monaghan, and they can't muster up an effort in either code, would their county team even win a Tyrone or a Derry club championship?

RTE will never address the apathy towards the games in the south but apparently there's a need to remove the provincials, when Ulster is thriving and showing whats possible.

More than a few in the south would happily take a return to the days when teams from the north went down and got a pat on the head and a kick on the arse back up the road.

That's it in a nutshell.
If they're going to change anything with the provincials, take a look at Ulster and use that as the template for the rest of the provinces.

thewobbler

tbrick18

Quote from: thewobbler on May 31, 2022, 12:10:54 PM
No team or coach should apologise for it.

They're playing within the rules.

A flaw in the rules has granted teams the ability to retain possession on an endless cycle, with no requirement for skill, technique, aptitude or athleticism, to do so. 

The paucity of skill though is more than matched by its effectiveness.

I'll never blame a team for using it to their advantage. It's the right call.

The rule book is the problem.

It's what needs fixed.

What specific flaw are you talking about?
Are you seriously saying there was no skill, technique, aptitude or athleticism in the Ulster final? If that is what you're saying, I think you must have been watching another game or you have a complete lack of knowledge around what these things are.

thewobbler

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 31, 2022, 06:01:13 PM

A flaw in the rules has granted teams the ability to retain possession on an endless cycle, with no requirement for skill, technique, aptitude or athleticism, to do so. 

It's what needs fixed.

Are you seriously saying there was no skill, technique, aptitude or athleticism in the Ulster final? If that is what you're saying, I think you must have been watching another game or you have a complete lack of knowledge around what these things are.

Knowledge? After 10 years of watching sideways football? Wind your neck in and take off the emperor's new clothes while you're at it. These are not complex tactics.

In terms of specific flaws. It's the regular period of 2-3 mins of fist-pass ball retention, where player a saunters slowly to half way, releases a lateral fist pass 5m before any contact is possible, to the unmarked player b, who turns and caresses a pass towards his own unmarked goalkeeper, who hits a short lateral pass to the unmarked player c, who repeats what player a did, while player a slowly saunters back into his start position.

There is no skill in this. There is no technique in this. There is no athleticism in this. Monkeys could be trained to do this.

Rossfan

Ban or seriously restrict the fkn handpass!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tbrick18

Quote from: thewobbler on May 31, 2022, 06:11:49 PM

It's what needs fixed.

Knowledge? After 10 years of watching sideways football? Wind your neck in and take off the emperor's new clothes while you're at it. These are not complex tactics.

In terms of specific flaws. It's the regular period of 2-3 mins of fist-pass ball retention, where player a saunters slowly to half way, releases a lateral fist pass 5m before any contact is possible, to the unmarked player b, who turns and caresses a pass towards his own unmarked goalkeeper, who hits a short lateral pass to the unmarked player c, who repeats what player a did, while player a slowly saunters back into his start position.

There is no skill in this. There is no technique in this. There is no athleticism in this. Monkeys could be trained to do this.

So again I'll ask the question, which flaw in rules are you talking about? There is a rule book, which rule needs fixed in your opinion to rectify all that is wrong with the game?

Emperor's New clothes? Come on, my opinion is different than yours and you resort to that type of comment.

The rules don't need changed, teams need to adapt to counteract. Simple.

GAABoardMod5

All free kicks and sideline kicks must go forward.

J70

Quote from: Rossfan on May 31, 2022, 06:14:31 PM

There's nothing wrong with a quick series of handpasses to open a defense up or work your way out of trouble.

Its not the number per se (within reason).

Its where a team is fumbling back and forth across the midfield, taking up two minutes or so trying (often in vain) to work a hole through multiple layers of defenders.

My own county is one of the (if not THE) worst offenders.

Milltown Row2

Teams need to press the player on the ball, it's 15 on 15 if the goalkeeper comes up and picks out an attacker that'll allow someone to press further up..

Teams in club games are all using the same tactics, most games I'll average around 4 miles refereeing, when teams employ these tactics it's vastly reduced. Christ it's got to the point when and attacking team has the ball I get into position behind him!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

befair

Reduce teams to 13-a-side. Would give more space for attacking football, and would also give weaker clubs and counties a better chance. A small county/club might have 13 good players, less likely to have 15.

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on May 31, 2022, 07:20:04 PM
All free kicks and sideline kicks must go forward.
This would reward the teams that fouls. All men behind ball as they have to kick it towards you and the team taking the free would have one man less to win the kick as someone needs to take the free.  :-\

trueblue1234

Quote from: J70 on May 31, 2022, 08:17:39 PM

There's nothing wrong with a quick series of handpasses to open a defense up or work your way out of trouble.

Its where a team is fumbling back and forth across the midfield, taking up two minutes or so trying (often in vain) to work a hole through multiple layers of defenders.

It's the typical dinosaurs who complain about the hand passing. These people prefer a high hall belted with a 50/50 success rate. Normally identifiable at club games by the roar of "send her in" the minute they approach the half way line. Muttering that this is the way the game should be played.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

thewobbler

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 31, 2022, 08:44:25 PM
Teams need to press the player on the ball, it's 15 on 15 if the goalkeeper comes up and picks out an attacker that'll allow someone to press further up..

Teams in club games are all using the same tactics, most games I'll average around 4 miles refereeing, when teams employ these tactics it's vastly reduced. Christ it's got to the point when and attacking team has the ball I get into position behind him!

The problem, they don't need to press. If both teams adopt the same retreat-en-masse at one end, recycle-forever at the other end approach, then the game will usually be tight.

There's limited incentive to go forward unless you're chasing a score.

thewobbler

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 31, 2022, 09:34:35 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 31, 2022, 08:17:39 PM

It's the typical dinosaurs who complain about the hand passing. These people prefer a high hall belted with a 50/50 success rate. Normally identifiable at club games by the roar of "send her in" the minute they approach the half way line. Muttering that this is the way the game should be played.

There are some "dinosaurs" like that.

Most of us, these days, just want to see forward intent. This doesn't have the take the form of a kick pass, let alone a 50:50 hoke. We just want to see teams giving it a go.

thewobbler

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 31, 2022, 07:11:25 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 31, 2022, 06:11:49 PM

It's what needs fixed.

So again I'll ask the question, which flaw in rules are you talking about? There is a rule book, which rule needs fixed in your opinion to rectify all that is wrong with the game?

Emperor's New clothes? Come on, my opinion is different than yours and you resort to that type of comment.

The rules don't need changed, teams need to adapt to counteract. Simple.

Everything that's wrong with the modern game is an unintended consequence of kicking frees and sidelines from the hand back in 91-92.

It took coaches/teams almost 5 years to wean themselves off lumping it off the ground. It was good that they learned. Then another 5 years or so before coaches/teams cottoned on that setting yourself up for counter-attacking football was a viable strategy. This was actually a brilliant advancement. Then 8-10 years or so later Jimmy cottoned on that you could actually suffocate an opponent and win matches by refusing to attack unless it was absolutely on your own terms.  It's not football. It's a chess for retards.

It poisoned football and the rule makers have not yet identified a method for rectifying it.

I'm in no way advocating a return to kicking from the ground. I've no no interest in watching a sport in which a 50:50 hoof could be considered the most effective tactical approach. That's daft too.

But we absolutely do need to review or introduce some rules to see if the balance of possession vs territory can be restored, it only a little. To give the game more variety. To give everyone a tactical  conundrum  to solve that is more complex that to hold onto the ball for minutes at a time without attempting  to go forward.

I've long been an advocate of not being able to pass the ball back past either 45. I'm sure this rule change would too have unintended consequences. But the brute force point behind the change would be well intended: if you're prepared to push up on your opponents, you can force them into an increasingly smaller playing area - which would limit their ability to retain possession in the current skill-free way. The punishment for a transgression would be a 45 to the other team.

And just as importantly, it's an idiot proof idea. It's the half court rule. It never needs explained twice. It doesn't need more officials than a referee to police.

There must be 200+ adult football competitions across Ireland each season. We only need to try this out in a couple, to see if it's an improvement. And if not. Then back to the drawing board.