Rule Change Needed to Stop Puke Keep-Ball

Started by cjx, July 15, 2018, 11:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derryman forever

Quote from: oakleaflad on May 31, 2022, 10:00:12 AM
Some overreaction on here. Was at the game and it was nowhere near as bad as is being made out.

It was a great game and the television coverage on BBC was by adults with an adult understanding of the arm wrestle  this game was gonna be. There is far too many people being influenced by RTEs negative parochial commentary. If your enjoyment is only about high fielding and cricket scores, if that is all you appreciate, you would be better to watch Aussie rules from the eighties. But even Aus
Aussie rules has evolved to an appreciation of tactics and controlling games.

If you must be changing the rules for the so called "purists" then maybe we could divide the pitch into 15 parts so that we can go back to playing catch and kick like in the 50s and 60s man on man and no double teaming.

tiempo

Quote from: Derryman forever on May 31, 2022, 10:26:23 AM
Some overreaction on here. Was at the game and it was nowhere near as bad as is being made out.

It was a great game and the television coverage on BBC was by adults with an adult understanding of the arm wrestle  this game was gonna be. There is far too many people being influenced by RTEs negative parochial commentary. If your enjoyment is only about high fielding and cricket scores, if that is all you appreciate, you would be better to watch Aussie rules from the eighties. But even Aus

If you must be changing the rules for the so called "purists" then maybe we could divide the pitch into 15 parts so that we can go back to playing catch and kick like in the 50s and 60s man on man and no double teaming.

Not for the first time Kevin McStay has a pop at Ulster teams style of play after sending St Brigids out to play anti-football against Crossmaglen in the club All-Ireland

Wicklow is the 16th most populated county in Ireland, more than Mayo, Louth, Cavan, Roscommon  and Monaghan, and they can't muster up an effort in either code, would their county team even win a Tyrone or a Derry club championship?

RTE will never address the apathy towards the games in the south but apparently there's a need to remove the provincials, when Ulster is thriving and showing whats possible.

More than a few in the south would happily take a return to the days when teams from the north went down and got a pat on the head and a kick on the arse back up the road.

snoopdog

Let's change the rules to prevent q cpetitive game of football.  Loads of scores doesn't mean a good game. Sure it would've been a much better spectacle had Derry or Donegal won by 30 points. I telly enjoyed it and I watched it on bbc. Rte have an agenda. If your not kerry Dublin mayo or munster hurling then you don't matter.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Derryman forever on May 31, 2022, 10:26:23 AM

This is a great idea. Draw 15 boxes on the pitch and each player must stay within their assigned box. One player from each team in each box. That'll show those boys in Ulster how football should be played.

JoeSoap

Agree. Was a rough first 10 minutes but Donegal missed 3/4 chances to get on the board in those first exchanges before the Derry goal. It went through periods after that but to be honest the intensity and tackling, I think sometimes the players were just taking a wee break. Especially from Donegal anyway, the Derry boys looked incredibly fit and well conditioned.

rosnarun

theres a very simple way of getting round all this  with out changing any rules .
just the refs to stop being pussys and stop blowing for frees for the smallest contact

that i beleve would produce the kind of football every want to play and watch
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

thewobbler

Few lads on here would have a DUP mindset about this?

"Change, what the f**k do we want change for? You, you should shut the f**k up. I've a cake to finish".

JoG2

Quote from: thewobbler on May 31, 2022, 11:45:54 AM

"Change, what the f**k do we want change for? You, you should shut the f**k up. I've a cake to finish".

What's a 'relatively open game plan'? Is that how you setup your teams? Does it work with all groups of players @ County / club level? Does it increase a 20 point average / game? Is it firm enough to withstand the furnace of an Ulster Final with everything at stake? Send on your PowerPoint, be interesting viewing.

How should Derry have setup on Sunday using this strategy to win with the players at the stage of collective development that they are? Would Derry have beaten the reigning All Ireland Champions, Monaghan and Donegal by more?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

The rules dont need changed, teams just need to work out to beat the current system. Kicking a ball from distance would be a start. Derry shouldnt apologise for it, its results business lads, people dont have to watch or attend the games

thewobbler

No team or coach should apologise for it.

They're playing within the rules.

A flaw in the rules has granted teams the ability to retain possession on an endless cycle, with no requirement for skill, technique, aptitude or athleticism, to do so. 

The paucity of skill though is more than matched by its effectiveness.

I'll never blame a team for using it to their advantage. It's the right call.

The rule book is the problem.

It's what needs fixed.

tiempo

Quote from: thewobbler on May 31, 2022, 11:45:54 AM

The qualifiers
The Tommy Murphy Cup
The super 8
The mark
The black card
The black card revision
The advanced mark
The penalty shootout
The cynical foul rule (penalty)
The advantage
The kickout
The Tailteann

All this and Offaly, Laois, Westmeath, Wicklow, Tipp, Meath, and Cork still can't get their shit together.

How about a rule for growing a pair.

JoG2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 31, 2022, 12:03:09 PM
The rules dont need changed, teams just need to work out to beat the current system. Kicking a ball from distance would be a start. Derry shouldnt apologise for it, its results business lads, people dont have to watch or attend the games

From where to where, and more importantly, to who and when?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: JoG2 on May 31, 2022, 12:13:50 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 31, 2022, 12:03:09 PM

From where to where, and more importantly, to who and when?

Murphy and I think maybe Rogers both shot from outside the blanket(in a quarterback position) on Sunday. Just banged ball over heads of everyone hurling style,  just recycle to the kicker. Obviously its risk based, if you miss or fall short you cough up possession. McCarron(done well I thought btw) ran right up in front of net last day and couldnt kick it over from 10 yards and recycled. The art of kicking needs worked on. But this is just my ow opinions , probably talking nonsense.

Keyser soze

Can somebody let me know what rule changes will solve the issue of a dour arm wrestle like the Ulster final and at the same time solve the issue of the turkey shoot that was the Leinster final?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 31, 2022, 01:06:02 PM
Can somebody let me know what rule changes will solve the issue of a dour arm wrestle like the Ulster final and at the same time solve the issue of the turkey shoot that was the Leinster final?

I did, give them 30 sticks