David Clifford protection

Started by Kingdom37, January 25, 2020, 11:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

I admit I know little about the game and whatever I do know was picked up here. But I overheard a conversation today where the two guys talking are fairly sensible, straightforward types if you know what I mean.
They both agreed that what Mickey Harte is as shrewd as they come and I can't disagree with that.
Sure the world knows he has an honest face.
Yer man sez the Kerry bucko was to blame because he only got a wee slap in the puss, which is well within the acceptable limits of what is allowed in this manly sport and he should have taken it like a pansy boy man and given a good dunt back with interest but the quare fella was having none of this at all at all.
According to him, Mickey took off one of his good players and put a plonker on in his place with the intention of getting him to pick a row with Clifford and get him sent off at all costs. If the said plonker got red carded also it would be no big deal as he wasn't worth a starting place anyway.
Looking at the wee bit of the action I saw on tv, I dunno what to believe.
I mean Mickey wasn't taking the mickey,  was he?  ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

RedHand88

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 10, 2020, 11:09:58 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on February 10, 2020, 11:01:00 PM
Is there any chance that the umpire, who was stood 10 yards away, saw something in the incident that who weren't even at the game, didn't see?

I'd say he wrote it in his wee book, or the match report will have it.

Umpires are asked don't bother the ref unless it's a yellow or red card offence, if lads are doing a bitta holding or niggle stuff warn them and you've informed the ref. That's it. The ref should have that chat and then there's no excuse if it continues. Haven't seen this fully and until a neutrals opinion on it or a video of it from the start then it's hard to judge.

But why would a lad on a yellow, who's won a free get himself into bother by himself? Madness

Has anyone asked him? He has a handle of Ben mcdonnells jersey and is pushing him back in the clip.
People seem to think that just because Clifford lost the wrestling match that he must be totally innocent. He wasn't.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 11, 2020, 07:39:29 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 10, 2020, 11:09:58 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on February 10, 2020, 11:01:00 PM
Is there any chance that the umpire, who was stood 10 yards away, saw something in the incident that who weren't even at the game, didn't see?

I'd say he wrote it in his wee book, or the match report will have it.

Umpires are asked don't bother the ref unless it's a yellow or red card offence, if lads are doing a bitta holding or niggle stuff warn them and you've informed the ref. That's it. The ref should have that chat and then there's no excuse if it continues. Haven't seen this fully and until a neutrals opinion on it or a video of it from the start then it's hard to judge.

But why would a lad on a yellow, who's won a free get himself into bother by himself? Madness

Has anyone asked him? He has a handle of Ben mcdonnells jersey and is pushing him back in the clip.
People seem to think that just because Clifford lost the wrestling match that he must be totally innocent. He wasn't.

Pushing him back, and pulling someone to the ground is different?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Kingdom37 on February 11, 2020, 08:33:45 AM
Well said kieran

https://www.offtheball.com/football/kieran-donaghy-umpires-roles-need-reviewed-

Umpires at that level go through an umpires course to be fair.. They are well informed on what to look for, and you as a ref must trust their opinion, because its the ref who'll take the rap for that, the ref and his team are assessed collectively.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tyroneman

At the end of the day there were 2 umpires a helluva lot closer to it that anyone in the stand, or watching from their armchairs.

Referees all want to be getting the big games in Croke later this year and so will very much want to get the calls correct.

No matter what conjecture pundits etc come up with - they were analyzing the same TV clip we all saw.

We have no idea what happened beforehand and cannot say if Clifford was 100% innocent, or if he got involved in something he came out the wrong side of.

Of course MH could have sent on a man to get Clifford sent off, equally Clifford could have been acting the pr*ck - there is not enough evidence either way to say for sure.

Equally we don't know what happened to Harte, he may have deserved it, he may not.

Main Street

Quote from: tyroneman on February 11, 2020, 03:38:47 PM
At the end of the day there were 2 umpires a helluva lot closer to it that anyone in the stand, or watching from their armchairs.

Referees all want to be getting the big games in Croke later this year and so will very much want to get the calls correct.

No matter what conjecture pundits etc come up with - they were analyzing the same TV clip we all saw.

We have no idea what happened beforehand and cannot say if Clifford was 100% innocent, or if he got involved in something he came out the wrong side of.

Of course MH could have sent on a man to get Clifford sent off, equally Clifford could have been acting the pr*ck - there is not enough evidence either way to say for sure.

Equally we don't know what happened to Harte, he may have deserved it, he may not.
It's more about the frustration around the default referee disciplinary response to seeing 2 players entangled on the grass in a social interaction of sorts on any football pitch in the country than about the one single incident.
The marquee player is oft targeted in such a manner in order to pick up an easy yellow.
How did Peter Canavan deal with it, if anyone was brave enough to try.

BennyHarp

Vinny Corey bucking the media trend by adding some sense of reason to the debate.

Former Monaghan defender Vinny Corey said the David Clifford flashpoint in Tyrone on Sunday may not have been quite as clear-cut as it may have appeared.

The Kingdom captain was given a second yellow card in the Allianz Football League Division One clash in Edendork following an-off-the ball incident with Ben McDonald.

Referee Fergal Kelly showed both players a yellow card after consulting his umpires and with Clifford already on a yellow, he was given his marching orders.

Ciarán Whelan said it was a "terrible decision", with Tomás Ó Sé later tweeting that it was an "easy way out for ref book the two of them".

Corey, speaking to RTÉ 2fm's Game On, agreed that cynical play should be punished but stressed that television viewers may not have seen the full story.

"I wasn't at the game, all we can go on is the camera angle," he said.

"When the camera angle switched to Clifford, it looks as though it was at the tail end of something. He seemed to be holding his hands up, he was dragged to the ground. In that instance he looked completely innocent.

"Again, we were at the mercy of the camera there. We didn't see what happened before that, but you'd like to think ...  it happened right in front of the umpires and a bit of common sense... if he was completely innocent in defending himself, you'd think the umpires would be able to spot that.

"I suppose if it was cynical you'd have to condemn it but to give it a bit of balance, I know there's a lot of outcry about it, but from a defender's point of view I've seen plenty of times over the years where a defender has been on the yellow card and a top-class forward has ran at him, pulled his arm down to the ground and got him sent off.

"You can't condone either one but I'd like to think there'd be a bit of an outcry as well if that was done to a defender."
That was never a square ball!!

The Gs Man

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 11, 2020, 08:33:23 PM

Stopped reading after that.
Keep 'er lit

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: The Gs Man on February 12, 2020, 10:49:42 AM

You won't have read much on the topic if you were only interesting in hearing from people who saw the full incident

tonto1888

The Gs Man

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on February 12, 2020, 10:55:33 AM

You won't have read much on the topic if you were only interesting in hearing from people who saw the full incident

I spoke to someone (a neutral) who saw the whole incident yesterday, and was in the very corner behind the goals where it happened.

He said it was an entirely cynical ploy to get Clifford sent off and Clifford done nothing wrong whatsoever.

Keep 'er lit

Angelo

Quote from: The Gs Man on February 12, 2020, 11:19:34 AM
Quote from: bigpackiechestout on February 12, 2020, 10:55:33 AM

I spoke to someone (a neutral) who saw the whole incident yesterday, and was in the very corner behind the goals where it happened.

He said it was an entirely cynical ploy to get Clifford sent off and Clifford done nothing wrong whatsoever.

Spoke to a man who said the exact opposite.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

The Gs Man

The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle then...
Keep 'er lit

Angelo

Quote from: The Gs Man on February 12, 2020, 11:35:15 AM
The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle then...

I don't know what happened. Impossible to say really without any conclusive evidence.

The umpires obviously felt it took two to tango, whether that was the case or not.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL