Ashers cake controversy.

Started by T Fearon, November 07, 2014, 06:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

In court today. Will be interesting.

Pub Bore

Judgement in this case due this morning. 

Pub Bore

Judge finds that Asher's did discriminate against gay couple over cake

screenexile

The correct decision. . . let's hope Tony doesn't get to open that B&B!!!!

Harold Disgracey

Sensible & correct decision.
"The defendants are not a religious organisation. They are a business for profit. There are no exceptions available"

Shamrock Shore

No wonder the anti-happiness league don't want any changes to Bunreacht na hÉireann

My coat is already on..............

deiseach

I'm mildly surprised at the decision. Forget about religious exceptions. I would have thought there would be some wriggle room along the lines of asking someone to be creative, i.e. we wouldn't bake that type of cake for a straight customer either. Obviously not.

armaghniac

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 19, 2015, 11:07:58 AM
No wonder the anti-happiness league don't want any changes to Bunreacht na hÉireann

My coat is already on..............

You over egged that one.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

screenexile

Sounds like a major f**k up with PA tweeting that Ashers were innocent first... a lot of people caught out badly by it!!!

LAD will have a field day!

Pub Bore

£500 fine, agreed in advance by both legal teams.

armaghniac

Quote from: Pub Bore on May 19, 2015, 11:30:37 AM
£500 fine, agreed in advance by both legal teams.

Well worth the publicity, especially as everyone testified that the cakes were lovely.
Perhaps it was all a stunt.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

gallsman

I'm surprised by that decision, and don't agree with it. Think it will set a dangerous precedent on what businesses are compelled to offer/accept.

imtommygunn

I'm surprised by the decision too actually. It won't do that business any harm in the short or long term I suspect but it will be interesting to see what kind of legal precedent it does set.

The die hards will do a whip round and £500 will probably not even be paid by them anyway.