Donaghy's "tackle" on Ryan

Started by MacDanger, August 28, 2007, 11:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: sligeach on August 29, 2007, 08:34:37 PM
If you take out the Ref's "Performance" Kerry should have won by a lot more.

The vast majority of 50/50 decisions and some really bizarre ones were given Dublins way, especially in the second half.

Lets not carried away - the linesman on the Hogan stand side and about 20,000 people seen Galvin grab Casey by the throat and headbutt him - Galvin was already booked. The linesman told Bannon what he saw, yet he didn't send him off. This was about the 20th minute.

There were plenty of decisions at crucial times that could have gone Dublin's way that didn't - Shane Ryan getting 'dispossessed' when bouncing the ball (as alluded to by Jack O'Connor in todays times) while he had his jersey pulled back - Kerry go on and score a point

Collie Moran getting booked for pulling on a ball that no Kerry player had a full hand on.

I could go on.....Kerry had a game plan - five of the six starting forwards booked, 29 cynical fouls, Feigning injury, outbreaks of cramp, tactical fouling

No sour grapes - just pointing out that Bannon didn't do Dublin the favours some would have you believe..

Gabriel_Hurl

Just saw the game last night - neither team did themselves any favours by their behaviour

Datsun Donaghy

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 29, 2007, 12:15:14 AM
I thought he should have let Ryan play on as he was on his feet running at goal when he blew the whistle
But then these decisions have a habit of levelling out over a season..
Was it Bryan Cullen who took about 40 steps with the ball for Dublins first goal versus Laois?
If they hadn't scored that who knows what would have happened either..
Similarly Longford should have been given a goal v Laois and they could have went on to beat us and we would never have made Leinster Final,So as i said they even themselves out over a season,You get some and you don't get others

I understand where you are coming from Laois Lad, but your statement merely serves to perpetuate the major problem in Gaelic football today, which is wholly inadequate refereeing.

Most refs are over-weight, unfit and incapable of putting together back to back performances, of even a minimum acceptable standard, but observers put this down to luck (good or bad) or just the way the game has always been!

Many years ago that could have been tolerated, but todays game is now at an almost professional level - players and management  put their lives on hold to train and play at their maximum potential, so why is it acceptable that a "clown" can turn up on any given Sunday and piss a years hard graft down the plug-hole. Surely the time has passed when referees and idiotic decisions should form the basis of most post match debates. Most top tier refs don't get the big games because of how well they perform - they can't -  because so many of their performances are inept, so what is the selection criteria - we in the Paranoia Brigade (Ulster Branch) can offer a few suggestions, in addition to others from various counties throughtout the country!!!

What are the chances of major debates raging about the ref selected for the A-I Final, even before a ball is kicked?
Pat Mc Eneaney aside , who are the contenders for the best referee accolade!

stew

isnt it terra that kerry have to fight for the right to play football. Shame on Dublin for forcing Kerry to play thug football to get the job done. it's dublins fault. ;)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Mike Sheehy

I think you should concentrate on the state of Armagh football rather than trying to get a rise out of Kerry folk.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Datsun Donaghy on August 29, 2007, 11:19:58 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 29, 2007, 12:15:14 AM
I thought he should have let Ryan play on as he was on his feet running at goal when he blew the whistle
But then these decisions have a habit of levelling out over a season..
Was it Bryan Cullen who took about 40 steps with the ball for Dublins first goal versus Laois?
If they hadn't scored that who knows what would have happened either..
Similarly Longford should have been given a goal v Laois and they could have went on to beat us and we would never have made Leinster Final,So as i said they even themselves out over a season,You get some and you don't get others

I understand where you are coming from Laois Lad, but your statement merely serves to perpetuate the major problem in Gaelic football today, which is wholly inadequate refereeing.

Most refs are over-weight, unfit and incapable of putting together back to back performances, of even a minimum acceptable standard, but observers put this down to luck (good or bad) or just the way the game has always been!

Many years ago that could have been tolerated, but todays game is now at an almost professional level - players and management  put their lives on hold to train and play at their maximum potential, so why is it acceptable that a "clown" can turn up on any given Sunday and piss a years hard graft down the plug-hole. Surely the time has passed when referees and idiotic decisions should form the basis of most post match debates. Most top tier refs don't get the big games because of how well they perform - they can't -  because so many of their performances are inept, so what is the selection criteria - we in the Paranoia Brigade (Ulster Branch) can offer a few suggestions, in addition to others from various counties throughtout the country!!!

What are the chances of major debates raging about the ref selected for the A-I Final, even before a ball is kicked?
Pat Mc Eneaney aside , who are the contenders for the best referee accolade!

Datsun - you'll be signing up for the next referee's course in Armagh then ??? ???

Ball Hopper

Anyone think it was smart positioning by Donaghy to be in that spot in the first place?  Or smart of Pat O'Shea to put him there?

I think he was there because he did not have a yellow card to his name at that point of the game.  If he had a yellow already, Bryan Sheehan or some other yellow-free forward would have been there.  Defend the goal at all costs...the cost of a point plus a yellow was small enough with the time left.

Although, as someone pointed out that 4 Kerry forwards were booked...so not many choices to help out at the back.

Was any Kerry back substituted?