Kerry Championship

Started by GaaFanatic123, November 11, 2019, 10:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 12, 2019, 09:29:10 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on November 12, 2019, 09:24:30 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 11, 2019, 10:30:00 PM

Also helps their county junior team a lot

There are only 5 counties who take part in the Junior All-Ireland who are restricted to intermediate and junior players (Kerry, Cork, Mayo, Galway and Meath)
Every other county can pick players from senior teams.

+ Kildare

Apologies - I thought Kildare had applied to change this a few years back.

Rossfan

I was told by a Co Board source  that Ros didn't enter a Junior team this year as we could only pick Junior/Inter Club players as we'd played Div 1 NFL.
Was that a new regulation or was it there all the time?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

twohands!!!

Quote from: Rossfan on November 12, 2019, 09:51:03 PM
I was told by a Co Board source  that Ros didn't enter a Junior team this year as we could only pick Junior/Inter Club players as we'd played Div 1 NFL.
Was that a new regulation or was it there all the time?

Never heard this part of the regulation.
My understanding was that Central Council decided it on a county by county basis.
Didn't ever hear what criteria they used.
Could well be true, however I'd be a bit sceptical of this being used as an excuse as a number of the teams who have pulled out of playing Junior have ciited the cost as the reason and Roscommon's finances don't seem too healthy based on McStay's book. Roscommon were included in the draw for the Connacht Junior Championship in 2019 (drawn against Leitrim) I'd imgaine the loss the year before against Mayo didn't help matters.

outinfront

Great answers thanks!

The amount of games in Kerry seems to be very good.  The training to game ratio must be nice with so many competitions. 

A final question - How many of these competitions would County players be involved in?
At a guess i'm thinking minimal involvement in the leagues, available for club, county and divisional championships?

Edit: It would appear that all the championships have a different order of importance but all carry prestige and are taken seriously?

Ball Hopper

Quote from: outinfront on November 13, 2019, 10:00:36 AM
Great answers thanks!

The amount of games in Kerry seems to be very good.  The training to game ratio must be nice with so many competitions. 

A final question - How many of these competitions would County players be involved in?
At a guess i'm thinking minimal involvement in the leagues, available for club, county and divisional championships?

Edit: It would appear that all the championships have a different order of importance but all carry prestige and are taken seriously?

County players will play in the club championships (senior, intermediate, premier junior, junior and novice) in April and in both county and divisional championships, which don't start until the county season is over.

The last round of the county league is usually after the county season is over as well, so a club with a county man will be stronger if promotion or relegation is in the balance. 

For the average club player who doesn't make it to the divisional team, he will have the following minimum number of games:

Feb/March: 3 divisional league games (possible semi and final)
March-Sept: 11 county league games
April: 3 club championship group games (possible semi and final or 2 relegation games)
Oct-Dec: 1 divisional championship game minimum

So that's a minimum of 18 games a year.  Being on a divisional team or being part of a senior club team guarantees at least two games in the county championship.

tonto1888

What is the difference between the club and the county championship? Unless I'm reading your post wrong and there is no difference

Ball Hopper

Quote from: tonto1888 on November 14, 2019, 07:30:22 AM
What is the difference between the club and the county championship? Unless I'm reading your post wrong and there is no difference

The club championship is purely for clubs...divided into senior, intermediate, premier junior, junior and novice.  The only way to progress upward is to win your level...of course there is relegation between levels as well.  The winners of the intermediate and premier junior represent Kerry in the Munster club championships.

The county championship is for the 8 senior clubs and the divisional sides representing all the remaining clubs in the county.  The county champions, if a club team, will represent Kerry in the Munster club championship.  If a divisional side wins the county championship (like this year with East Kerry, a conglomerate of 6 clubs), the senior club champions, Austin Stacks in 2019, will represent Kerry in the Munster club championship.

tiempo

So Austin Stacks now enter the Munster club because Dr Crokes lost to East Kerry at the weekend... utter toilet.
The gerrymandering of grades resulting in dominance of Intermediate and Junior club grades is tragic too.
Bit of a flat track bully vibe going on down there, a bunch of piss artists when its put up to them at all levels.

Rossfan

outinfront

Quote from: tiempo on November 14, 2019, 09:07:37 AM
So Austin Stacks now enter the Munster club because Dr Crokes lost to East Kerry at the weekend... utter toilet.
The gerrymandering of grades resulting in dominance of Intermediate and Junior club grades is tragic too.
Bit of a flat track bully vibe going on down there, a bunch of piss artists when its put up to them at all levels.

It is designed to make football in the county as competitive as it possibly can be.  The County Championship is especially competitive.  Winning provincial/all-Ireland intermediates and juniors is way down the order of priorities.  It may put them at a significant advantage but this is a bi-product not the aim of the system.
As already discussed, Dublin having a Senior A and Senior B championship greatly disadvantages the intermediate and junior teams that progress to provincials.  Although this system is different from Kerry the purpose is to make the county's championships competitive.  Intermediate and junior provincial success is not a priority.

That's what I take from it anyway.  I think the system is excellent.  There's David Clifford who plays for Fossa in intermediate (possibly junior?)championship has now won the major championship with East Kerry thanks to this divisional system.  Whilst he is obviously a stand out player it does give other decent players who play with their clubs at lower standards a shout at getting into and winning 'the main event'.

passedit

Quote from: outinfront on November 14, 2019, 12:25:46 PM
Quote from: tiempo on November 14, 2019, 09:07:37 AM

It is designed to make football in the county as competitive as it possibly can be.  The County Championship is especially competitive.  Winning provincial/all-Ireland intermediates and juniors is way down the order of priorities.  It may put them at a significant advantage but this is a bi-product not the aim of the system.
As already discussed, Dublin having a Senior A and Senior B championship greatly disadvantages the intermediate and junior teams that progress to provincials.  Although this system is different from Kerry the purpose is to make the county's championships competitive.  Intermediate and junior provincial success is not a priority.

That's what I take from it anyway.  I think the system is excellent.  There's David Clifford who plays for Fossa in intermediate (possibly junior?)championship has now won the major championship with East Kerry thanks to this divisional system.  Whilst he is obviously a stand out player it does give other decent players who play with their clubs at lower standards a shout at getting into and winning 'the main event'.

Spot on. I wouldn't be one to give undue credit to Kerry but the way they run their club football is perfect. If you're a decent footballer in Kerry you won't be overlooked no matter who you play for, that's how you put your best possible county team out.

Remember they were doing this way before the tallest dwarf competitions appeared.
Don't Panic

Rossfan

And it got them 37 All Irelands.

theticklemister

So how many 'clubs' could represent Kerry in Munster?

Im PRO with lancashire GAA. We hosted Kerry in the All Ireland Semi-Final in 2016. We held them to a draw at half time. They got three goals at start of second half to pull away. Adrian spillane got man of the match. . Jason Foley also played that day.

Two Kerry clubs, Skellig Rangers and brosna have beaten the Lancashire Champions, John mitchels twice, in All-Ireland's junior Championship Final by narrow margins.

From the Bunker

Quote from: theticklemister on November 14, 2019, 05:43:37 PM

Im PRO with lancashire GAA. We hosted Kerry in the All Ireland Semi-Final in 2016. We held them to a draw at half time. They got three goals at start of second half to pull away. Adrian spillane got man of the match. . Jason Foley also played that day.

Two Kerry clubs, Skellig Rangers and brosna have beaten the Lancashire Champions, John mitchels twice, in All-Ireland's junior Championship Final by narrow margins.

They (Templenoe) played Ardnaree in the final that year and gave them a horrible embarrassing beating.  As an area Templenoe were/are punching above their weight in the Kerry League and Championship. But to let what is essentially a Intermediate B team into the All Ireland Junior series is a farce.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: theticklemister on November 14, 2019, 05:43:37 PM

One of the 8 senior clubs represents Kerry in Munster senior championship.

Kerry have 16 intermediate, 16 premier junior (the winner of which represents Kerry in the Munster junior championship), 16 junior teams and 12 novice teams.

That's 68 stand-alone clubs.  Only senior, intermediate and premier junior winners go on to Munster, so technically 40 clubs are eligible to represent Kerry.

A good footballer from any of the 60 non-senior clubs will be able to play in the county championship with one of the 9 divisional sides, which is the whole point of having divisions.