Geraghty & Fay - New Twist, Harnan and Callaghan Step Down as selectors

Started by The Claw, May 20, 2011, 01:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 02, 2011, 07:43:45 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 02, 2011, 12:11:48 PM
Pathetic stuff Myles.

What's pathetic seanie or is 3 words all you can string together. Apparently calling someone a black b**tard is immature verbals now. If you said that at work to someone you would get the sack. Geraghty was 25 in 99, most people would  have a bit of sense at that age. The other guy was 17. I haven't even bothered to post all the other stuff he did either. Colm o rourke is dead right.

Is 3 words all I can string together! What are you - some 7 year old in a playground?!

Pathetic is using a mistake someone made years ago (and apologised for immediately to the satisfaction of the person involved) to label them as lacking class. Maybe I'm more forgiving than you or perhaps you've never made a mistake in your life and are perfect?

That's patehtic enough but your ridiculous suggestion that he was assaulted and knocked out by the Aussies 7 years later because of the same incident is more than pathetic - its a completely scurrilous lie. What's more I think you know it is too which is even sadder.

Like heffo (and many, many others) I really hope GG gets a run on Sunday cos he can be electrifying and that's one of the reasons I watch sport, to see guys who do things us mere mortals can only dream of .

mylestheslasher

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 02, 2011, 11:25:06 PM
Pathetic stuff Myles.

What's pathetic seanie or is 3 words all you can string together. Apparently calling someone a black b**tard is immature verbals now. If you said that at work to someone you would get the sack. Geraghty was 25 in 99, most people would  have a bit of sense at that age. The other guy was 17. I haven't even   bothered to post all the other stuff he did either. Colm o rourke is dead right.

Is 3 words all I can string together! What are you - some 7 year old in a playground?!

Pathetic is using a mistake someone made years ago (and apologised for immediately to the satisfaction of the person involved) to label them as lacking class. Maybe I'm more forgiving than you or perhaps you've never made a  mistake in your life and are perfect?

That's patehtic enough but your ridiculous suggestion that he was assaulted and knocked out by the Aussies 7 years later because of the same incident is more than pathetic - its a completely scurrilous lie. What's more I think you know it is too which is even sadder.

Like heffo (and many, many others) I really hope GG gets a run on Sunday cos he can be electrifying and that's one of the reasons I watch sport, to see guys who do things us mere mortals can only dream of .

Seanie the sports lover? Your the same guy that has such a chip on the shoulder over local soccer when you said you couldn't care less about your local soccer team being in a cup final last year, even when same soccer team honoured sligo when they won Connaught. Man utd plc are ok though.  I won't be taking lectures from the likes of you.

magpie seanie

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 02, 2011, 11:35:06 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 02, 2011, 11:25:06 PM
Pathetic stuff Myles.

What's pathetic seanie or is 3 words all you can string together. Apparently calling someone a black b**tard is immature verbals now. If you said that at work to someone you would get the sack. Geraghty was 25 in 99, most people would  have a bit of sense at that age. The other guy was 17. I haven't even   bothered to post all the other stuff he did either. Colm o rourke is dead right.

Pathetic is using a mistake someone made years ago (and apologised for immediately to the satisfaction of the person involved) to label them as lacking class. Maybe I'm more forgiving than you or perhaps you've never made a  mistake in your life and are perfect?

Seanie the sports lover? Your the same guy that has such a chip on the shoulder over local soccer when you said you couldn't care less about your local soccer team being in a cup final last year, even when same soccer team honoured sligo when they won Connaught. Man utd plc are ok though.  I won't be taking lectures from the likes of you.

Shows the bankruptcy of your argument when you have to change the subject. For the record I play for and support my two local soccer clubs. I was a decent basketball player in my day and watch practially every sport bar horse racing and motorsports. Sligo Rovers mean nothing to me. As for them "honouring" the Connacht champions - anyone with half a brain knows that was just a ploy to get more people through the turnstiles to pay the wages. Enjoy supporting them yourself and anyone else who does but its not for me.

And I wasn't lecturing. I was merely expanding on my initial post at your request. If you didn't want more than my 3 words you shouldn't have asked is that all I could string together then should you? "The likes of you" - you haven't the first idea what kind of person I am but obviously I lack this "class" you are the expert on.

Hardy

It's hugely ironic that Myles should pontificate about alleged racism and set himself forth as a paragon of sportsmanship given that his sporting hero, as proudly proclaimed here some time ago, is a nazi-saluting professional soccer player with some English club.

Mike Sheehy

From jousting with him in other threads I have long suspected Mylestheslasher of having questionable sympathies...........so his support for Nazi saluting soccer players comes as no surprise to me.

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 02, 2011, 11:49:02 PM
Shows the bankruptcy of your argument when you have to change the subject. For the record I play for and support my two local soccer clubs. I was a decent basketball player in my day and watch practially every sport bar horse racing and motorsports. Sligo Rovers mean nothing to me. As for them "honouring" the Connacht champions - anyone with half a brain knows that was just a ploy to get more people through the turnstiles to pay the wages. Enjoy supporting them yourself and anyone else who does but its not for me.

Excuse me if I'm sidetracking the argument (which I agree with you on by the way) but what is wrong with this. No harm in a bit of marketing and I'm sure some involved would have genuine appreciation of what Sligo had achieved. Its nothing to come of the stunts that Premiership teams use to pay the wages. I find that a strange stick to beat them with.

lynchbhoy

jayz lads, no point in fighting over it.
GG was a bit of a boyo in his younger days - most of us were to certain extents.
Myles is a bit of a ballix  ;), but its nothing we didnt already know.
I think he is highlghting what O'rourke was hinting at to be fair.
I'd take more issue with O'rourke's comments lacking the same class that he is hinting at GG not having !

anyhow, I didnt like the hoor when he was playing against us, though apart from one or two lads, I dispised the entire senchalstown team !
They were fecking good though !
get over it lads.
Really looking forwad to sundays game now. raging hot cosmic favourties kildare will undoubtedly win by at least 25 points !!
;)

Declan

Interesting piece from Canavan on the Meath saga today. He even manages to throw in last years Leinster Final!!!

Canavan: Geraghty gamble could cost Banty job
By Brendan O'Brien

Friday, June 03, 2011

PETER CANAVAN has warned that Seamus McEnaney "could pay the ultimate price" if Meath lose to Kildare on Sunday as a consequence of his decision to recall the 38-year-old Graham Geraghty to the Royals panel.

Meath's preparations were shaken by the decision of McEnaney's two Meath-born selectors, Liam Harnan and Barry Callaghan, to stand down after the SOS was sent to the 1999 All-Ireland winning captain.

Much has been made of Geraghty's age but Canavan, who was three years younger when he retired, believes there are other, more pertinent issues raised by recent events.

"The alarming bit is that people in Meath would tell you that he isn't playing that well and that he hasn't been standing out — and that is at an intermediate club — that there are maybe more established players like Trevor Giles who are playing at a higher standard.

"It isn't so much the age thing but the fact that (McEnaney) has gone against the inside men in the county who have been watching Geraghty and know exactly what Geraghty is doing. That has been the strangest aspect to the decision.

"It is a serious gamble and one that, if Meath don't win on Sunday, he could pay the ultimate price."

As Canavan added, McEnaney has been no stranger to controversial decisions and thrust full-back Darren Hughes between the sticks against Armagh before his reserve keeper.

That paid off for 'Banty' as Monaghan trounced Armagh and Fermanagh with Hughes in goal before turning to a more conventional choice for the provincial decider, which they lost convincingly to Tyrone.

The recent decision to bring Geraghty back into the fold is almost as bizarre given the quality forwards Meath have at their disposal but Canavan believes the late call-up exposes a more worrying shortcoming in the squad's DNA.

"I think it all comes back to the decision of the Meath players last summer not to offer Louth a replay because that was a decision that should have been made by the players. They should have insisted that a replay be offered as there was no doubt as to who deserved to win the Leinster title.

"The players as a group showed a serious lack of leadership at that stage and they have been paying the price ever since. The fact that Seamus McEnaney feels the need to bring in a past All-Ireland winning captain like Geraghty into the squad would be a further indication that there is a lack of leadership within the squad and he is not happy with that."

Leadership is definitely not something his own county lack. While Monaghan have lost a rump of players from the panel at the one time this season, Canavan admits such a wholesale and painful transition will eventually face Tyrone.

"That's a problem that lies ahead but not this year. That is something that is going to happen in the next few years because there are so many of them that have come through at the same time and they are of the same age group but at the minute they are all pushing, and pushing hard.

"The team is going to be completely reinvigorated down the line. There is going to be a clearout of the older players and they will have to land a number of younger players in the limelight.

"It is inevitable that is going to happen but I don't think it is going to happen for a year or two."

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/canavan-geraghty-gamble-could-cost-banty-job-156687.html#ixzz1OCvzQlRi

DB_An_Mhi

Maybe some people here like to have a go at COR purely because of the team he was a part of. Over think what he stated and then try to knock him at the same time.

What he more or less said was than one player had an impeccable track record as a player and played football up until quite recently (at senior club level; TG was the playmaker, Harnan the manager of a most impressive and successful Skryne outfit in the county final) and because of this he was more worthy of inclusion had the issue ever arisen, even though he himself feels when you reach a certain stage it is better not to make a comeback. So this type of player was a role model of unimpeachable character, when someone else namely GG with a poor disciplinary record (bad boy image if you like) was a retrograde step as he lacked the type of class that would make a return more acceptable to up and coming players already part of the panel.

COR is a softly spoken, good natured, easy going type of person, who any "right thinking" person can see on The Sunday Game doesn't go in for sensationalism or overly harsh criticism. Occasionally you have to shoot from the hip as using ambiguous language will nullify the fundamental point your trying to make. As a journalist or analyst that is his job/role.

heffo

I can't agree with Canavan saying that Meath players should've offered Louth a replay and that it was a lack of leadership when they didn't.

They should never have been put in that position and the CCCC fudged the issue - they had the option of not adopting the ref's report but bottled it.

DB_An_Mhi

I think the players should have offered a replay in principle but yes it was up to the powers that be to put it into action. Both parties failed but ultimately, it is not the players responsibility to police/enforce (for want of better words) the proper or smooth running of the Leinster or All-Ireland Championships.

Lar Naparka

Maybe Geraghty does indeed lack 'class' and he could well be a racist to boot.
But it would take more than the incident in Oz in '99 to convince me of either.
For me, it was a case of Political Correctness gone mad when the story broke in the Irish media.
I had to wade through a mountain of moral indignation and hypocritical craw thumping to find an account of an interview given to a local paper by Cupido after the game.
The Sunday Indo carried the account I saw and it was stuck in on page 3 or 4—well away from the sports section. In it Cupido was reported as saying that he went into the tackle 'low, hard and dirty.' He was under instructions to take Geraghty out of the game and whoever else he could get at.
He said he wasn't put out in the slightest by Geraghty's reaction; such abuse was commonplace over there and he knew Geraghty's comment was an instinctive reaction to his tackle.
I couldn't see it being otherwise. I could see no racist motive in what the Meath man said. He had just been flattened in an illegal manner and was trying to pick himself up and hadn't the time or composure to come out with a politically correct expression of his feelings.
Now, if he had walked up to Cupido after the game and used the same language, I'd have no sympathy for him.
Cupido's action was premeditated and designed to maim the Irish player; he had gone into the game with the deliberate intention of doing this. Geraghty's reaction was instinctive and he passed this remark while he was trying to regain his composure and sort out his arse from his elbow in a manner of speaking.
IMO, the moralistic campaign in some section of the media back home made no attempt to give a balanced account of what happened.
Geraghty may well be guilty of lots of things  but I wouldn't indict him on a charge of racism in this instance.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

DB_An_Mhi

Reading Peter Canavan's article the whole GG business reminds me of Eriksson bringing Walcott to a world cup finals (granted before rather than after his time) and for reasons not entirely related to football. My interpretation of Banty's actions and motives for doing so will have to wait, for the moment at least. Two days before our eagerly awaited match with Kildare is not the time to stir things up.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

the Deel Rover

I hope he has a stormer if he plays . Christ the modern day intercounty footballer has to put up with a load of shite
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001