Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 28, 2019, 06:19:52 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on August 28, 2019, 05:53:21 PM
Also, if the EU does backtrack on the backstop the UK Parliament won't be able to pass it anyway if the prorogation is successful.  Some top work there???

YEah looks like he forgot he was making that argument and blaming the EU for not negotiating. The softer stance they took was probably unexpected when this was the plan all along.

I think a vote of no confidence in the government will proceed.... be lost and then the GE which No.10 was gearing up for all along....
It will be a real challenge to unite the no-deal side in a GE at this point... if they dont the Tories would win a majority with possibly some help from the Brexit party.

I'm not sure how that's possible. The Remainers are united enough to form electoral pacts in winnable seats. A GE now would be a landslide for Remain parties.

Solo_run

Also, if the EU does backtrack on the backstop the UK Parliament won't be able to pass it anyway if the prorogation is successful.  Some top work there???

YEah looks like he forgot he was making that argument and blaming the EU for not negotiating. The softer stance they took was probably unexpected when this was the plan all along.

I think a vote of no confidence in the government will proceed.... be lost and then the GE which No.10 was gearing up for all along....
It will be a real challenge to unite the no-deal side in a GE at this point... if they dont the Tories would win a majority with possibly some help from the Brexit party.

If Tories win the majority in their own what are the chances of them sticking two fingers up to the DUP and agreeing to a border down the Irish sea?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: maddog on August 28, 2019, 06:15:34 PM
Apparently Ruth Davison stepping down. Knows there is an election coming and going to be wiped out in Scotland?

Citing motherhood to save face
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 28, 2019, 06:23:52 PM

I'm not sure how that's possible. The Remainers are united enough to form electoral pacts in winnable seats. A GE now would be a landslide for Remain parties.

Are they???? The votes were all over the show in the European election? How will they come together so easily in a GE

Some are Tories who would never vote Labour
Some are Labour who wouldnever vote Lib Dem
Some are Green who would never vote mainstream

Unless there is some sort of political pact to put party politics aside and give them a candidate that they can get behind and have have confidence in?

Also Corbyn has demonstrated himself to be a ideologist who rarely compromises his ideology and is still rooted in the party political divide

Moreover suppose they did  and all the parties decided they were gonna come together, it would take a very intricate and complicated strategy based on a individual constituency level to pull it off. It is still possible but they really should have been planning for it by now.

Your completely out of touch if you think it would be a land slide at any time
At least 40% of the voting public appear to be hard brexiteers
Even if Remain candidates won the popular vote they could still easily end up with a Tory majority

omaghjoe

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 28, 2019, 06:27:29 PM
Quote from: maddog on August 28, 2019, 06:15:34 PM
Apparently Ruth Davison stepping down. Knows there is an election coming and going to be wiped out in Scotland?

Citing motherhood to save face

Dickish comment

:-X

trailer

Quote from: bennydorano on August 28, 2019, 04:12:51 PM
Boris doesn't want a deal, if the EU called his bluff and relented on the backstop he'd shit himself. The withdrawal agreement without the backstop would still struggle to get through Parliament. A Vote of no confidence would seem to be the only option left for Remainers, but Cummins probably has a plan for that too.

He does want a deal.

trailer

If only Sinn Fein would get up and help the people. They'll be guilty if a No-Deal happens.

screenexile

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 28, 2019, 10:40:03 PM
A number of the ERG nutting squad in Westminster have been "silently" sounding off that even if the backstop was entirely dropped, they still wouldn't vote for the Withdrawal Agreement. "No Deal Brexit" is essentially now running as a cult that'll do almost anything to make it happen - it just hasn't decided whom its David Koresh is yet.

Francois or Farage I'd say... it's getting high stakes now and all situations are looking bad...

1. No deal Brexit - everyone agrees it's shit

2. Deal with NI backstop - Will be Ok for a while (great for NI) but will lead to the rise of the nutters and the Brexit party in the next General Election

3. Remain (yeah I know it's not happening) - Same as above only with riots I would suspect

Where do we go from here??!!

balladmaker

Quote from: screenexile on August 28, 2019, 11:22:04 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 28, 2019, 10:40:03 PM
A number of the ERG nutting squad in Westminster have been "silently" sounding off that even if the backstop was entirely dropped, they still wouldn't vote for the Withdrawal Agreement. "No Deal Brexit" is essentially now running as a cult that'll do almost anything to make it happen - it just hasn't decided whom its David Koresh is yet.

Francois or Farage I'd say... it's getting high stakes now and all situations are looking bad...

1. No deal Brexit - everyone agrees it's shit

2. Deal with NI backstop - Will be Ok for a while (great for NI) but will lead to the rise of the nutters and the Brexit party in the next General Election

3. Remain (yeah I know it's not happening) - Same as above only with riots I would suspect

Where do we go from here??!!

Deafening demands for IndyRef 2 in Scotland for definite.  If no deal happens, ramping of demands for border poll in the 6 counties.  Either way, the 'precious union' looks to be screwed in the long term.

RedHand88

Quote from: trailer on August 28, 2019, 09:50:04 PM
If only Sinn Fein would get up and help the people. They'll be guilty if a No-Deal happens.

I actually think yesterday's developments prove the fallacy of entering the house of commons. It is utterly pointless.

pbat

Quote from: trailer on August 28, 2019, 09:50:04 PM

I have had the argument for years with Sinn Fein when they come to my door at election time that they should be taking their seats. But now is not the time.

The Sun, and other right wing media would create a storm that the IRA is coming to the house of commons to destroy democracy, they murdered members of parliament etc etc. It would galvanise little England and let Boris of the hook as he would be seen to stand up to terrorism. 

Was just looking at the voting numbers in North and South Belfast at the 2017 election and both seats are in play so I think it should be more important to join with SDLP and Alliance and come up with a plan to oust Little and Dodds.

t_mac

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 28, 2019, 04:50:53 PM
    Hmm well things just got interesting again..... Channel 4 news the nite for sure

Ive only just heard a few bits and bobs nothing from parliamentary experts but it seems to me that

• this was an option that was always on the cards and while it may seems a bit soon to press the nuclear button, time was also running out?
    • also despite what all those opposed are saying... it is within the proper procedure? tho the reason for it is obviously corrupt and attempt to subvert parliament on the brexit issue

Is there time for a vote of confidence before hand?

Impossible, Tories greatest weapon is Corbyn, he is utterly useless  he would lose a vote and an election. Spent years dithering about when a decisive move to remain, when there was momentum on their side was needed. Cameron is to blame for Brexit, Corbyn is to blame for no deal.

seafoid

Quote from: t_mac on August 29, 2019, 08:23:15 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on August 28, 2019, 04:50:53 PM
    Hmm well things just got interesting again..... Channel 4 news the nite for sure

Ive only just heard a few bits and bobs nothing from parliamentary experts but it seems to me that

• this was an option that was always on the cards and while it may seems a bit soon to press the nuclear button, time was also running out?
    • also despite what all those opposed are saying... it is within the proper procedure? tho the reason for it is obviously corrupt and attempt to subvert parliament on the brexit issue

Is there time for a vote of confidence before hand?

Impossible, Tories greatest weapon is Corbyn, he is utterly useless  he would lose a vote and an election. Spent years dithering about when a decisive move to remain, when there was momentum on their side was needed. Cameron is to blame for Brexit, Corbyn is to blame for no deal.

FFS

The ERG wanted No Deal all along
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

t_mac

What's that 40 of them, there was a withdrawal agreement that would have stopped no deal, Corbyn has been out maneuvered by Bojo, he is the main reason now with his dithering that we are where we are, an utterly useless individual whom no one wants as PM.

tyroneman

Corbyn looks to be one of the worst opposition leaders in living memory. I'm really not convinced that he actually wants to stay in the EU - it looks to me like it's more a case of him being forced by his own party / remainer public opinion into everything he does these days,  rather than having any any true conviction about it.

BJ may just be playing this perfectly. If a vote of confidence is called followed by a GE, he will be able to hoover up the Brexit Party votes as he can claim that he was 100% leave and only stopped by those pesky parliamentarians.

He gets his majority and can do as he pleases for another 4 years...which I imagine will be potentially very bad news for the DUP as he's not a fella that seems to like being beholden to anyone.

On a side note - JRM on LBC this morning.....you have to admire his cojones - still firmly using the 'speak in posh voice and hope the peasants buy my bullshit' tactic, claming that BJ wasn't lying about not wanting to prorogue parliament, what he actually meant was that he didn't want to use the tudor idea of prorouging parliament.......