Ulster Club Championships

Started by hows she cutting, November 10, 2006, 02:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

I can't say I've ever witnessed a worse refereeing performace than this man's first half of Errigal v Gaels.  To call it pathetic would be flattering him.

Owenmoresider

How come? Didn't see most of the half, bar Errigal lads surrounding him at the end.

It's 0-3 each btw.

Orior

CARGIN 0-12 1-9 CLONTIBRET - result

BALLINDERRY 0-4 0-1 MAYOBRIDGE

ERRIGAL CIARAN 0-3 0-3 ENNISKILLEN

CROSSMAGLEN 1-8 0-2 MULLAHORAN
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 12, 2006, 04:02:36 PM
AIB Ulster club football quarter-finals
BALLINDERRY 0-15 0-1 MAYOBRIDGE
Misprint, surely? Feckin hell wouldn't imagine Bridge getting a beating like that.

Over the Bar

Errigal play Ballinderry and Cross play the winners of the Cargin/Clontibret replay

4everGAA

??? Could someone remind me of the basic rules...
in omagh today was there not 2 yellow cards given to 1 player therefore should that player not have been sent off :o
(damien mcdermott) first card shortly before half time and the second just after the start of the second half
If it doesnt matter who wins the game, then why do they keep the score?

Fionntamhnach

Back from a freezing Healy Park...

Was Graeme Poll referring this match? 13 yellow cards, and I suspect two were given out to one Errigal player without him being sent off! Enniskillen might put in an appeal if this turns out to be the case, though if they concentrated on playing football and putting a more direct ball in rather than trying to out psyche Errigal (particularly D.Harte and P.Quinn) they may have pulled off a win against an out-of-sorts Errigal Ciaran. With Ballinderry waiting in the wings, Errigal need to improve from today although the game showed that Canavan still has a touch of class in him.

In Junior game before it, Ardoyne were no match whatsoever against Greencastle who were a much superior outfit (0-21 to 0-3). What might be their undoing further on is the greediness of the forwards who play very much as individuals, if they come up against a defence that marks up well, closes down quickly and breaks forward they are in trouble.

Also congratulations to Stewartstown who came from three points behind at half time to beat Carrickmacross in Clones by a point, 2-9 to 2-8.

ITOB

SFC
Cargin v Clontibret
Errigal Ciaran bt Enniskillen Gaels by 1 pt
Ballinderry hammered Mayobridge 0.15 - 0.1
Mullahoran lost to Crossmaglen 

IFC
Fanad Gaels v Coleraine
Belcoo bt Drumgath
Ballymacnab v Drumalee
Carrickmacross v Stewartstown

JFC
Coa v N. Brid
Bredagh 5.13 v Drum  0.4
Greencastle bt Ardoyne easy
Drumhowen v An Port Mor

Owenmoresider

Coleraine beat Cloughaneely 2-9 to 2-8 in the IFC. Naomh Brid beat Coa in JFC.

Cloc Mor

Ballinderry hammered Mayobridge 0.15 - 0.1

This result shows just how far Mayobridge are off the mark in Ulster Club football terms.  It is virtually unheard of a team to be beaten by some much at this level never mind a team that 'supposedly' had their sights set on an Ulster title.  They are a spent team at this level and will never win it.
Another scary thought is the fact that Mayobridge are the strongest team in Down at the minute (even though Burren won the league) so where does leave Down football - obviously a big task for DJ and Ross.

ziggysego

Anyone know how the Drumhowen v An Port Mor game went? Greencastle has been drawn against the winners of this game, but we haven't heard any results from this game yet.
Testing Accessibility

Redhandfan

Clones hosted an excellent double bill of games today in the Ulster Club Championships.  Two terrific games...even though the An Port Mor result was very disappointing.

Junior Quarter-Final
Drumhowan (Muineachán) 1-12  An Port Mór (Ard Mhacha) 1-8
Very little went right for An Port Mor in this match.  Wasted opportunites in front of goal combined with some dreadful refereeing did not help their cause.  Short a couple of key players, the team showed plenty of heart and determination throughout but they simply did not get any breaks.  Drumhowan deserved to win, if only for their excellent discipline and ability to make every scoring chance count.  Towering full forward James McElroy played a real captain's part for the Monaghan champions and proved a thorn in An Port Mor's side over the hour.  An Port Mor trailed by eight points approaching half-time (0-3 to 1-8) but their huge support were given a glimmer of hope when Gary Traynor scored a goal just before the break.  The Blackwater men came out with all guns blazing in the second half and were the better team for much of this period.  Drumhowan had their goalkeeper to thank shortly after the restart for making two point blank saves which proved crucial to the final outcome.  An Port Mor got to within three points of their opponents in an exciting second period but Drumhowan, who were aided by a number of decisions from the Down referee, did enough to hold out for the win.

Intermediate Quarter-Final
Carrickmacross (Muineachán) 2-8  Stewartstown (Tir Eoghain) 2-9
The second match at Clones was a very entertaining affair with both teams producing some wonderful attacking football.  The game was a superb advertisement for Ulster club football.  Carrickmacross really put it up to the Tyrone champions early on with two fine goals but Stewartstown looked the better team for long periods of the first half and deserved to be ahead on a scoreline of 1-7 to 2-2 at the interval.  Owen Coyle fisted a real opportunist goal for the winners during that first half.  Stewartstown succeeded in holding on to their lead until the remainder of the match but it was a real struggle towards the end as Carrickmacross edged ever closer to their opponents and had a couple of last gasp efforts for an equaliser that went narrowly wide.  Right corner forward Andrew Callan was Carrickmacross's best player on the day and had a part to play in most of their scores.  Stewartstown had a number of good performers but those who really caught the eye were corner back Paul Gahan, centre half forward Peter Armour and full forward Gareth Devlin.  Devlin was my man of the match and looks to be the real deal.  I would love to see this guy get his chance soon to impress at senior inter-county level for Tyrone.

ziggysego

Quote from: Redhandfan on November 12, 2006, 06:57:48 PM
Clones hosted an excellent double bill of games today in the Ulster Club Championships.  Two terrific games...even though the An Port Mor result was very disappointing.

Junior Quarter-Final
Drumhowan (Muineachán) 1-12  An Port Mór (Ard Mhacha) 1-8

Thanks Redhandfan. Anyword where the game will be next Sunday?
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Oh, I never posted the results did I!

Greencastle 0-21
Ardoyne 0-03

Working on the website at the moment, so hopefully the pictures will be up tonight.
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Another typical Autumn Errigal/Enniskillen game. Low scoring (3-3 at HT) with the introduction of Canavan at half time the deciding factor. I think he swung over 4 (3 from frees) and created enough panic in the Gaels' defence to force them into conceding scorable frees - something they weren't doing in the first.

To be honest, I cannot see an Ulster title in Errigal. Their brand of possession football doesn't really suit the heavy conditions and up front they still seem to be too reliant on God being on the field.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.