Secondary School Teaching

Started by Jack Dempsey, November 13, 2006, 02:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Dempsey

Did Math & Stats in University. Finished 3 years. Applications as I said due in next month with no word arriving regarding success until April. No much pt thinking about getting a school sorted yet I would have thought. June, July and August lads, those months must be good ???

ONeill

If you think you have it in you, Jack, go for it. There is no better feeling than doing something you love, and the good days by far outnumber the the bad days. As someone else experienced, I had the benefit of teaching in England initially. Inner-city Birmingham (Handsworth) was a tough baptism and I haven't experienced such trials and tribulations since. I've also had a 18-month stint in a Primary School but didn't think that age suited my interests. All-in-all, this is my 10th year behind the desk and provided you stick to what you want to do in teaching and not take on extra responsibility for solely prestige reasons, you'll enjoy it. Although you think it's better than a 9-5 job, you'll find out it's actually an 8-8 job. Don't forget you take your work home with you and will spend much of Sunday preparing as well. The Summer, Christmas and Easter holidays are very welcome.

In terms of discipline, you'll find your own methods. Some teachers shout, some are silent and both can work for different teachers. It's not a glamorous job and the pressure from those in authority as well as parents can sometimes leave you feeling disillusioned. Coping with this is the key. But sure that's the same in any walk of life.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

One other fact to remember, is that teachers need to know how to behave when outside of school, and at school formals etc etc etc. They are role models 24 x 7.

If you want to dance on tables with your colleagues then you are better off in the private sector.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Rois

Both my folks were secondary school teachers (plus my aunt, uncle and big sister).  Both stayed for almost their whole careers in the same school as they started in.  They both took early retirement a few years ago, and at the time my mum was a VP.  At the end, I think it was like Daffey mentioned earlier - if it was just about the teaching, there'd have been no problem.  It was the other stuff, the going to court to defend the school against a civil action taken by a pupil, the abuse from parents etc etc that accounted for lost enthusiasm.  On the other hand, we were well looked after during the summer, had maths and history tutoring on tap, and my dad was allowed to take time out to do two masters degrees.  So the benefits were pretty good.  The worst thing was having your dad be head of discipline at the local boys' secondary school - horrible for a teenage girl  ;)

Good luck with it - it definately isn't for everyone.  Despite not knowing anything else while growing up, I wouldn't have the temperament for it. 

saffron sam2

Quote from: screenexile on November 13, 2006, 10:59:33 PM
I've just started the hDip equivalent over in England

They believed the guff you wrote in that personal statement of yours then?

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 14, 2006, 11:56:18 PM

BTW Ciaran where did you get this statistic........

QuoteAnother point to mention is that there were 17,500 applicants for 1100 teaching jobs. Getting started and getting a permanant post isn't that easy.

In N.Ireland, we have a shortage of teachers in many fields.  It is quite difficult to recruit and retain good teachers in a whole range of subjects in secondary schools.  We don't have 17,500 teachers in N.ireland who are currently seeking a job!
I think the quote should read 17,500 applications, rather than applicants.

O'Neill has it spot on, don't teach looking for glory. Once you realise there will always be those who don't share your thirst for knowledge or who don't appreciate what you're trying to do you'll be okay.  Learn not to take anything personally and you'll love it.  As long as the wee feckers keep you off ratemyteachers that is.

The worst thing about teaching is that this board is banned on the C2K network.  Surely a man in TYP's position (or indeed our other principal) could sort something out for us. Either that or I'll tell Fearon that no soccer, rugby, hockey et al. boards are banned and he can play the sectarian card.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Farrandeelin

PS JAck, best of luck with it. Give it a lash anyway and see how things go.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Fionntamhnach

I reckon one thing to bear in mind is that at least in N.Ireland, the school-age population is dropping. Many of the schools are seeing falling numbers, especially secondarys and small primaries. A number of amalgamations have taken place over the last few years in Strabane, Omagh, Dungannon and Enniskillen in response to this with the end result being fewer teaching places. Some of this has been absorbed by more experienced teachers taking early retirement by for some younger ones starting out, its getting tough landing a permanent post.

saffron sam2

Quote from: ONeill on November 14, 2006, 09:04:27 PM
If you think you have it in you, Jack, go for it. There is no better feeling than doing something you love, and the good days by far outnumber the the bad days. As someone else experienced, I had the benefit of teaching in England initially. Inner-city Birmingham (Handsworth) was a tough baptism and I haven't experienced such trials and tribulations since. I've also had a 18-month stint in a Primary School but didn't think that age suited my interests. All-in-all, this is my 10th year behind the desk and provided you stick to what you want to do in teaching and not take on extra responsibility for solely prestige reasons, you'll enjoy it. Although you think it's better than a 9-5 job, you'll find out it's actually an 8-8 job. Don't forget you take your work home with you and will spend much of Sunday preparing as well. The Summer, Christmas and Easter holidays are very welcome.

In terms of discipline, you'll find your own methods. Some teachers shout, some are silent and both can work for different teachers. It's not a glamorous job and the pressure from those in authority as well as parents can sometimes leave you feeling disillusioned. Coping with this is the key. But sure that's the same in any walk of life.

Who has recently been appointed "Teacher in charge of Media Studies, Journalism and Moving Images" at ONeill's school?

pintsofguinness

Hopefully O'Neill, sounds like a good job for a failed journalist.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

john mcgill

I take it that congratulations are in order.  Another extrapolation might be that with the extra responsibility there will be less posting here.

john mcgill

As a matter of interest, are there any inspections coming up in Belfast soon?

TacadoirArdMhacha

I really think ya need to have a real desire to be a teacher. Too many people get into it because they get to the end of their degree without knowing what they want to do and see the PGCE as a default choice. Both my parents were teachers and ended up taking early retirement so I suppose I'm a bit biased against it but I caution anybody before taking the teacher route.

Good aul holidays though and you're home by 4 in the evening.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

saffron sam2

Quote from: john mcgill on January 17, 2008, 09:11:49 PM

Sounds like you know the answer. On the off-chance that you don't, I would say, hopefully not.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Orior

Quote from: john mcgill on January 17, 2008, 09:11:49 PM

Well, there's one coming up in a school in south Derry hi. Wanna make something of it?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians