Secondary School Teaching

Started by Jack Dempsey, November 13, 2006, 02:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 17, 2008, 08:58:27 PM
Quote from: ONeill on November 14, 2006, 09:04:27 PM
If you think you have it in you, Jack, go for it. There is no better feeling than doing something you love, and the good days by far outnumber the the bad days. As someone else experienced, I had the benefit of teaching in England initially. Inner-city Birmingham (Handsworth) was a tough baptism and I haven't experienced such trials and tribulations since. I've also had a 18-month stint in a Primary School but didn't think that age suited my interests. All-in-all, this is my 10th year behind the desk and provided you stick to what you want to do in teaching and not take on extra responsibility for solely prestige reasons, you'll enjoy it. Although you think it's better than a 9-5 job, you'll find out it's actually an 8-8 job. Don't forget you take your work home with you and will spend much of Sunday preparing as well. The Summer, Christmas and Easter holidays are very welcome.

In terms of discipline, you'll find your own methods. Some teachers shout, some are silent and both can work for different teachers. It's not a glamorous job and the pressure from those in authority as well as parents can sometimes leave you feeling disillusioned. Coping with this is the key. But sure that's the same in any walk of life.

Who has recently been appointed "Teacher in charge of Media Studies, Journalism and Moving Images" at ONeill's school?

SS, how do you remember threads from over a year ago?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

saffron sam2

Some specific quotations always stick out and are filed away in the memory for future use. I knew that ONeill had said sometime in the past that he had absolutely no interest in promotion. When I heard about his recent promotion, I used the search facility to hoke out the closest quote to back up my point.

SBE Mac's quote about not being ready to go to a GAA game (sic) was a much, much older post.

You have posted nothing that I will bring back to haunt you.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

pintsofguinness

Quote from: hardstation on January 17, 2008, 09:10:10 PM
What the feck is Moving Images?

As long as it's nothing to do with IT, he's been trying to type something for the last 10 minutes.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ONeill

I need the money to pay the wife. Suffice to say I sat no interview. Sometimes greatness is bestowed upon oneself.

Tis great being in charge of yerself though. Next stop, Head of Computer Studies. It does the work for you.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 17, 2008, 09:54:40 PM

As long as it's nothing to do with IT, he's been trying to type something for the last 10 minutes.

Definition of sad and/or OCD: Logging onto an internet discussion site, making your movements invisible to others and then watching how and when someone else posts. Set Balls Grow A.

ONeill

Quote from: hardstation on January 17, 2008, 09:56:18 PM
I think it could be films. Fancy name, eh?

It's looking out the window and watching things move. Some days nothing moves in Edenmore. You'd maybe get the oul retiree zooming past to get his pension.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ONeill on January 17, 2008, 09:57:57 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 17, 2008, 09:54:40 PM

Definition of sad and/or OCD: Logging onto an internet discussion site, making your movements invisible to others and then watching how and when someone else posts. Set Balls Grow A.

:D
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

saffron sam2

Quote from: ONeill on January 17, 2008, 09:55:38 PM
I need the money to pay the wife. Suffice to say I sat no interview. Sometimes greatness is bestowed upon oneself.

Tis great being in charge of yerself though. Next stop, Head of Computer Studies. It does the work for you.

An excellent idea - look where it got TYP.

full back

Although the teachers on the board dont mark much coursework, when you do, do ye lot get much of this?
Would you pull the pupil about it or let it go?

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/7194772.stm

saffron sam2

Quote from: Take Your Points on January 18, 2008, 10:00:30 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 18, 2008, 10:26:25 AM
Quote from: ONeill on January 17, 2008, 09:55:38 PM

An excellent idea - look where it got TYP.

Only I have never been a head of any department, only the best ever get to be Head of Computing/ICT!

Sorry, I thought you were. You're obviously spoilt with Mrs McLaughlin.