Dublin V Donegal

Started by Gareth, June 28, 2018, 07:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 28, 2018, 12:19:29 PM
I'm not sure where Donegal & Kerry play their second game but I know Galway's second game will be away, if thats the case Donegal & Kerry too it doesn't seem like too much of advantage for winning the provincial championship.

All provincial champions are away in round 2. They changed the scheduling to put the provincial champions at home in the final round to try and minimise potential "dead rubber" matches.
That said if the bookies favourites win the 1st round games between the provincial champions, there's then huge pressure on Galway and Donegal to get a result away from home the following week.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Jinxy on June 28, 2018, 12:21:19 PM
But there isn't a 'neutral' round, that's the misconception.
Teams are deliberately being given the opportunity to play in Croke Park.
If there was an actual neutral round, other grounds around the country would be required.
You're right Jinxy of course. It's written in black and white.

However it's completely unfair and hopefully they'll change it to one home, one away and one neutral next year. Dubs down to Kilkenny for their neutral game.

Esmarelda

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 28, 2018, 12:33:06 PM
I'm not sure where Donegal & Kerry play their second game but I know Galway's second game will be away, if thats the case Donegal & Kerry too it doesn't seem like too much of advantage for winning the provincial championship.

All provincial champions are away in round 2. They changed the scheduling to put the provincial champions at home in the final round to try and minimise potential "dead rubber" matches.
That said if the bookies favourites win the 1st round games between the provincial champions, there's then huge pressure on Galway and Donegal to get a result away from home the following week.
Yes, especially if the team they face won their first game. However, the flip side of that is that if Dublin win and they play away to a team that lost their first game then the dead rubber is on the agenda.

Dead rubbers shouldn't be an issue. Monaghan beat the Dubs in the league when it didn't matter and they seemed very happy with it. A game for a "smaller" county at that level should embraced regardless of whether they're out or not.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Gareth on June 28, 2018, 12:00:29 PM
It's Plain an Simple Dublin has Two Games in the Super 8's in CP,

They have Donegal in 14th in CP & Team 3 in the 4th of Aug in CP which shouldn't be! ( it's basically Two HOME GAMES ).

Lets say that if Dublin entered into the Super 8's and had to Play Two Games away from home (WOULD THERE BE UP-ROAR "YES" WOULD THIS BE ALLOWED TO HAPPEN) "NO".

So the structure is wrong for the other Teams in the Competition!!

I think that there is the $ factor here or something,

WHY WOULDN'T SOMEONE ASK THE HEAD OF THE GAA WHAT IS THERE THINKING BEHIND THIS FIXTURING??

You really have to ask that question? Dublin bring the most fans, and the most money. ergo they play two games at the highest capacity stadium.

Jinxy

To be honest, Dublin are the fly in the ointment here and there is no way around it.
If Dublin weren't in the Super 8s, I think most people would agree the one home, one away, one CP structure is perfect.
I'm assuming most of the Croke Park games will be double headers, which will bump up the number of bums in seats for both games as supporters will be interested to see the competition, and they should hopefully be quality, competitive games.
I don't think there is anything particularly machiavellian about Croke Park being used in the way it is for the Super 8s, but it does give Dublin an additional advantage they don't really need.
Maybe the rule re CP or elsewhere should be Dublin specific, but I don't know if you can legislate on that basis.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 28, 2018, 12:33:06 PM

If results go as expected this weekend and Armagh beat Clare then Fermanagh will be drawn against either Tyrone or Mayo so Galway's second game will be in McHale Park or in Omagh. Huge pressure is right and likely be underdogs against either team.

trailer

Jasus lads, this was all agreed at congress. Ye's are about 9 months late to the party with all this two home games for Dublin craic.

AZOffaly

Quote from: trailer on June 28, 2018, 12:52:20 PM
Jasus lads, this was all agreed at congress. Ye's are about 9 months late to the party with all this two home games for Dublin craic.

I know. To be honest I can't really see an alternative on this one. As long as no moves are made to move games from home venues for the other teams that draw the Dubs, I can see the logic in this.

That said, the GAA were fair late to the party as well trying to get Kildare to move their game!

Syferus

Quote from: trailer on June 28, 2018, 12:52:20 PM

This was literally mentioned the moment the format was touted.

inthrough

If there was an actual neutral round, other grounds around the country would be required.

What's the big deal about being given the "opportunity" to play in Croke Park? Is there gold dust sprinkled on the grass, does champagne flow in the jacks?

Very few of the teams playing in the Super 8's will be strangers in HQ. nobody comes up from the sticks & walks round Jones's Rd slack jawed & round eyed at the marvel that is Croke Park.

This is about fairness full stop. Kevin Heffernan alway said that Croke Park was worth about 3-4 points to Dublin, Donegal are unbeaten in Ballybofey since 2010 & Monaghan have a great record in Clones, so if the competition is to have credibility there should be a level playing field.

trailer

Quote from: inthrough on June 28, 2018, 01:42:23 PM

What's the big deal about being given the "opportunity" to play in Croke Park? Is there gold dust sprinkled on the grass, does champagne flow in the jacks?

Very few of the teams playing in the Super 8's will be strangers in HQ. nobody comes up from the sticks & walks round Jones's Rd slack jawed & round eyed at the marvel that is Croke Park.

This is about fairness full stop. Kevin Heffernan alway said that Croke Park was worth about 3-4 points to Dublin, Donegal are unbeaten in Ballybofey since 2010 & Monaghan have a great record in Clones, so if the competition is to have credibility there should be a level playing field.

You know what you should do. Get a time-machine and go back to, not the last congress, but the one before that, when this was debated and agreed and tell the delegates to not vote this through.

From the Bunker

The reality is that from now on an AI series with Dublin is never going to be fair, not unless the GAA are willing to lose revenue from lost attendances in smaller venues, reduce Dublins financial backing from HQ and put a cap on sponsorship. And none of these things are going to happen.  Bar Kerry who the media are talking up. The rest of the country are just playing tippey tappey. Galway beat Mayo, Carlow beat Kildare, Monaghan beat Tyrone, Fermanagh beat Monaghan. All great victories, but you don't feel any team is going anywhere significant. The Provincial finals were a mess this year. The Super 8's will favour the most rested team with the biggest squad with the most home games.

inthrough

Quote from: trailer on June 28, 2018, 01:44:45 PM

You know what you should do. Get a time-machine and go back to, not the last congress, but the one before that, when this was debated and agreed and tell the delegates to not vote this through.
I couldn't care less how Congress voted, this isn't right & if enough noise is made then there might be a change.

Esmarelda

Quote from: trailer on June 28, 2018, 01:44:45 PM

trailer, would you mind telling us that it was decided at congress one more time? I didn't quite understand your last two efforts.

Hound

tis a bit odd that since the backdoor came in, everytime Dublin won Leinster, they've played QF, SF and All Ireland final in Croke Park, but it has taken the Super 8, when there's one QF game they'll be playing outside Croke Park, to get people exercised.

Games between provincial champions, excl a couple of replays, have always been played in Croke Park.

There will be some difference between the Provincial Champions Croke Park game and the Dublin Home Croke Park game. The former will be a double header where all four counties should have a good smattering of supporters. The latter will be a standalone game (or maybe they'll put some underage game on before it), but there'll likely be a much higher proportion of Dubs fans present (unless it's Mayo, those feckers will make it feel like a neutral venue, apart from FTB)