Whingers

Started by sligoman2, March 20, 2018, 07:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

I was just reading the many complaints about the 65's in the hurling yesterday, earlier on I read about players upset at games being played yesterday, more whining about the weather, the backlog,  etc..
Many of the people complaining about the format would also complain about having a replay, player burnout etc..

I'm wondering are we turning soft and becoming a group who like to complain no matter what.  Loads of other examples out there.  Has the average gaa player and supporter lost the plot?  Have we become a showerof whingers?
What do ye think..
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Ball Hopper

Time to introduce a Golden Score at the end of the first extra time...if teams are still level when the extra time reaches its conclusion, play on until a team scores.

Some might say put the Golden Score at the end of normal time, thereby eliminating draws completely. 

longballin

Quote from: Ball Hopper on March 20, 2018, 07:32:20 PM
Time to introduce a Golden Score at the end of the first extra time...if teams are still level when the extra time reaches its conclusion, play on until a team scores.

Some might say put the Golden Score at the end of normal time, thereby eliminating draws completely.

Yeah I thought the same... throw in the ball next score wins!

Rossfan

Didn't we try that out in the NFL some years ago?
Most of the whinging us by hurley types though.
I think it's all that change that has them all fragile.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tippabu

Dont like it, can be decided too easily by a poor decision from the ref. I think penalties would be brilliant, would create great excitement

Syferus

Quote from: sligoman2 on March 20, 2018, 07:21:40 PM
I was just reading the many complaints about the 65's in the hurling yesterday, earlier on I read about players upset at games being played yesterday, more whining about the weather, the backlog,  etc..
Many of the people complaining about the format would also complain about having a replay, player burnout etc..

I'm wondering are we turning soft and becoming a group who like to complain no matter what.  Loads of other examples out there.  Has the average gaa player and supporter lost the plot?  Have we become a showerof whingers?
What do ye think..

"Are we turning soft". Older people thinking things used to better in the past, a pastime as old as humans themselves.

The answer is no.

Asal Mor

Quote from: tippabu on March 20, 2018, 07:38:37 PM

Dont like it, can be decided too easily by a poor decision from the ref. I think penalties would be brilliant, would create great excitement
Both are good ideas imo, much better than the 65 shoot-out.

Targetman

We're not happy unless we have something to whinge about, and being a Down supporter I have plenty!!

Ball Hopper

Quote from: hardstation on March 20, 2018, 08:14:50 PM
Quote from: longballin on March 20, 2018, 07:34:45 PM

Yeah I thought the same... throw in the ball next score wins!
Be fierce bad luck if you were playing against the gale force wind when that's introduced.

Win the toss and play with the wind for the second half in case we are level at full time.  So much for the adage to avail of the wind in the first half in case it dies down.

westbound

I don't really get what the big problem with using 65's is? Why is it so much worse than penalties (which some are suggesting here as an alternative)?

Asal Mor

Quote from: westbound on March 20, 2018, 10:39:47 PM
I don't really get what the big problem with using 65's is? Why is it so much worse than penalties (which some are suggesting here as an alternative)?
Penalties would be a much more dramatic spectacle.

westbound

Quote from: Asal Mor on March 20, 2018, 10:57:49 PM
Quote from: westbound on March 20, 2018, 10:39:47 PM
Penalties would be a much more dramatic spectacle.

Would it? Why so? Because of goals (rather than points)? Because of the keeper on the line facing the striker? Maybe and in fairness that's a reasonable argument.

I've seen some people say that the 65's are not fair and that it's not fair on amateur players to be in a position where they could be the scapegoat for missing a free. Personally, I thing those arguments are rubbish. It'd be exactly the same for a penalty shoot out, and there is always the chance of a player missing a last minute free to be the scapegoat even without a 65's competition.

I think that no matter what system is used to decide draws there will be criticism.
Look at soccer, people are always complaining that penalties are not a good way to decide a game. Recently they've started using the ABBA (not the band!) system for penalty shoot outs. They've tried golden goals and silver goals as well so they don't see penalties as the perfect solution either.

Esmarelda

What do ye think..
A resounding yes. Endless moaning.

Jinxy

Social media, lads.
That's the only difference between 'back then' and now.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

sligoman2

Quote from: Syferus on March 20, 2018, 08:44:47 PM

What do ye think..

"Are we turning soft". Older people thinking things used to better in the past, a pastime as old as humans themselves.

The answer is no.

The oracle has spoken.  I can close the thread now"..........
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.