Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jinxy on July 16, 2018, 04:00:44 PM
We're pouring more and more money into the game and it's getting worse by the year.
What's the solution?
MORE MONEY!
Lets flood the weaker counties with cash so they can bring in sports scientists, statisticians, nutritionists etc. and then we can happily watch every inter-county team hand-passing each other to death while the crowd on the terraces loses the will to live.
Money has got us here, so explain to me how money will get us out of here.
Scrap the ridiculous round robinny stuff, aka super 8s, and cop on to reality.
The whole intercounty model needs radical overhaul and the sooner, the better while we still have a semblance of a 32 county game.
The first thing that struck me when I sat back to consider my impressions after the first round this weekend.
First and foremost, there were almost literally acres of empty seats in every venue and the same can be said of the hurling fixtures as well. Next round will see even more spaces on the terraces and seats  and God help us but the concluding round will throw up a number of  even more meaningless games as the results will be forgone conclusions. Either both teams involved won't proceed any further or there may well be a number of total mismatches. 
If you consider the costs involved by both teams and the expenses of opening each stadium for a mickey mouse game, the odds are that the overall exercise will cost more than it will bring in.
Apart from all of that, the players involved have to give up even more of their time and run the increased risk of getting injured and of curtailing their free time even more.
This mickey mouse competition is a dead man walking....!!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

LilySavage

BennyHarp

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 16, 2018, 06:57:11 PM
We're pouring more and more money into the game and it's getting worse by the year.
What's the solution?
MORE MONEY!
Lets flood the weaker counties with cash so they can bring in sports scientists, statisticians, nutritionists etc. and then we can happily watch every inter-county team hand-passing each other to death while the crowd on the terraces loses the will to live.
The whole intercounty model needs radical overhaul and the sooner, the better while we still have a semblance of a 32 county game.
The first thing that struck me when I sat back to consider my impressions after the first round this weekend.
First and foremost, there were almost literally acres of empty seats in every venue and the same can be said of the hurling fixtures as well. Next round will see even more spaces on the terraces and seats  and God help us but the concluding round will throw up a number of  even more meaningless games as the results will be forgone conclusions. Either both teams involved won't proceed any further or there may well be a number of total mismatches. 
If you consider the costs involved by both teams and the expenses of opening each stadium for a mickey mouse game, the odds are that the overall exercise will cost more than it will bring in.
Apart from all of that, the players involved have to give up even more of their time and run the increased risk of getting injured and of curtailing their free time even more.

I'd be very surprised if there are many empty spaces on the terraces in Omagh, Newbridge or the Hyde this weekend and the whole of Monaghan will be in Clones to see a possible execution of Kerry. I still think we need to see how this pans out before jumping to judgements. Although I do think provincial venues should be used for all the neutral venues. Or possibly even all games could be at smaller neutral venues. There's nothing better than a packed out venue in a county town like Tullamore or Carlow for a championship match.
That was never a square ball!!

straightred

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 16, 2018, 07:06:30 PM
What's the solution?
MORE MONEY!

I'd be very surprised if there are many empty spaces on the terraces in Omagh, Newbridge or the Hyde this weekend and the whole of Monaghan will be in Clones to see a possible execution of Kerry. I still think we need to see how this pans out before jumping to judgements. Although I do think provincial venues should be used for all the neutral venues. Or possibly even all games could be at smaller neutral venues. There's nothing better than a packed out venue in a county town like Tullamore or Carlow for a championship match.

Can i jump in to defend the current order of games. The provincial winners that played each other were all coming off a few weeks of rest. The qualifiers that played each other have been playing for the last 3 weeks i think so i think in that context the scheduling was correct. Croke park does seem to be a problem though. I was there on saturday and sunday and i don't think i've ever seen it as flat. There was probably more at the 1st game yesterday than the 2nd. That wasn't supposed to happen.

Syferus

What's the solution?
MORE MONEY!

Lol.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on July 16, 2018, 07:32:26 PM
What's the solution?
MORE MONEY!

Lol.

I'm surprised you have the face to lol at anything this week.
That was never a square ball!!

Therealdonald

Quote from: Syferus on July 16, 2018, 04:04:01 PM
What's the solution?
MORE MONEY!

You missed the line about a spending cap Jinxy. If everyone is literally working from the same numbers there is much less incentive to overspend, particularly if the penalties were harsh. Meaning overall costs would go down. It works in many professional sports so the idea that amateur gaelic football is a special case I cannot buy.

Syferus, of all the issues discussed on this board, money and county spending is definitely 1 in which you should be saying nothing. It's common knowledge that outside of the Dubs, the Rossies have the single biggest sponsor in the country. Don't listen to his drivel.

Syferus

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 16, 2018, 07:37:35 PM
What's the solution?
MORE MONEY!

Lol.

Only a fantasist would think tickets for those two games aren't going to be very easy to come by.

Lar Naparka

What's the solution?
MORE MONEY!

You may be dead right but we are talking about the purpose of the exercise which is to generate income for HQ, for want of a better term.
Now if Newbridge is filled to capacity, we are talking about possibly 10,000 at max. I can't see the Hyde attracting even that amount as I do't think many will give the Rossies a chance. No insult to the team or the county but I can't see a sellout there.
There could be a great carnival atmosphere at games in venues like Tullamore or Carlow but after expenses are taken care of, there won't be much for central funds.
The third round will see matches where one or both teams haven''t a hope of qualifying for a semi spot and where followers of those teams have to shell out for tickets and other expenses for the third time in as many weeks.
Say a team gets hammered in the first two games and the third involves a long return  journey for the county supporters, I can't see a sellout under the circumstances.
I may be prejudiced but I system is weighed in favour of the stronger teams. Before the first round, I imagine any punter with savvy could have picked the eventual qualifiers. With the exception of the Kerry/Galway game, I picked the winner in all other games and I'd imagine many others did the same. Next round should be even more predictable and the ultimate round should be even easier.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

trailer

The Super 8's is obviously a work in progress. It's been one weekend and people have already got it in for the GAA. Give it a chance. Next year perhaps a round of home games first to build anticipation followed on by neutral games either in CP or at neutral provincial grounds. This is better than we had before. It's not perfect and of course Roscommon are going to take 3 heavy tankings but it's better than what went before. We should give it a fair chance. 

Jinxy

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 16, 2018, 07:37:35 PM
What's the solution?
MORE MONEY!

Lol.

He who lols last, lols the loudest.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

A lot of fans would not be flúirseach enough to fork out say €100 per match if bringing a few of the kids to see the county. Kildare will have played 7 or 8 matches by the end of the Super 8 and it still won't be finishe'd.    Every team bar maybe the Dubs will have to come face to face with the systemic imbalances in the sport and their own mediocrity.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Puckoon

How do the Semi Finals work out

Group A team 1 Vs Group B team 2?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Puckoon on July 17, 2018, 04:30:48 PM
How do the Semi Finals work out

Group A team 1 Vs Group B team 2?

Yep that's it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

straightred

Quote from: seafoid on July 17, 2018, 10:46:15 AM
A lot of fans would not be flúirseach enough to fork out say €100 per match if bringing a few of the kids to see the county. Kildare will have played 7 or 8 matches by the end of the Super 8 and it still won't be finishe'd.    Every team bar maybe the Dubs will have to come face to face with the systemic imbalances in the sport and their own mediocrity.

Agree - at the very least they should be allowing at least 1 extra opt out on season tickets on account of all the extra games.