Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

In fact, since he joined Spurs in October 2008, his big signings have been:
Defoe (£16m) - well worth it (imo);
Keane (£15m) - £5m profit on the deal with L'pool;
Palacios (£12m) - disappointing, but still got £6m(?) back from Stoke;
Crouch (£9.5m) - excellent signing, and a £2.5m profit from Stoke;
Bassong (£8m) - jury still out.

More importantly, he also signed Parker (£5m), VDV (£8m), Sandro (£6m), Kaboul (£5m), Kranjar (£2.5m) and Walker (£4m), Friedel (Free) - every one an absolute bargain (if not a steal) - as well as excellent loans in Adebayor and Saha etc.

Hilariously deluded. More hilarious though. If Wenger wanted to improve his team there'd be uproar if he bought any of those players. VDV possibly but he's made of paper.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Evil Genius

Quote from: ONeill on July 04, 2012, 02:26:31 PM
In fact, since he joined Spurs in October 2008, his big signings have been:
Defoe (£16m) - well worth it (imo);
Keane (£15m) - £5m profit on the deal with L'pool;
Palacios (£12m) - disappointing, but still got £6m(?) back from Stoke;
Crouch (£9.5m) - excellent signing, and a £2.5m profit from Stoke;
Bassong (£8m) - jury still out.

More importantly, he also signed Parker (£5m), VDV (£8m), Sandro (£6m), Kaboul (£5m), Kranjar (£2.5m) and Walker (£4m), Friedel (Free) - every one an absolute bargain (if not a steal) - as well as excellent loans in Adebayor and Saha etc.

Hilariously deluded. More hilarious though. If Wenger wanted to improve his team there'd be uproar if he bought any of those players. VDV possibly but he's made of paper.
Let's compare like-with-like, then.

Defoe is not Spurs 1st choice striker, but a squad player. As such, would you rather have him at the emirates over the Arse's equivalents, Bendtner, Chamakh or Gervino?

Scott Parker, £5m for the Footballer of the Year or Arshavin, £15m for a load of w**k? If that's "hilarious", then keep me laughing.

Sandro made 27 appearances for Spurs last season, Frimpong made 19 for the Arse. Sandro has 9 full caps for Brazil, Frimpong has, er...

Kaboul cost £5m, Mertesacker cost £8m. Oops!

Walker cost £4m and until injury struck, was England's established 1st choice RB. At the age of 22. Or are you saying he wouldn't get into the Gooners 1st team?

As for Friedel, I'd say most Arse fans would rather have him at the club, on a free transfer, than Fabianski or Mannone...

And then there's "VDV possibly".

Possibly?

Possibly?

Have you been drinking?  :o
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Two Hands FFS

Kyle Walker Englands established 1st choice right back has 2 caps - one as a 85th minute sub. Hardly established is he?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on July 04, 2012, 03:10:27 PM
Kyle Walker Englands established 1st choice right back has 2 caps - one as a 85th minute sub. Hardly established is he?

Isn't even within an asses roar, he'll be 3rd choice behind Johnson and either Kelly or Micah Richards, seriously over rated player!

ONeill

It gets funnier.

That delusion is off the scale.

Frimpong? The Wolves player from last year?

Parker v Wilshere. Don't make me laugh. Even Walcott. My ribs.

Defoe. My sides hurt now.

Vermaelen is Kaboul x205.  Or Kolchelney.

Walker....ho ho ho.

VDV - an Arsenal squad player at best.

Evil Genius

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 04, 2012, 03:19:51 PM
Quote from: Two Hands FFS on July 04, 2012, 03:10:27 PM

Isn't even within an asses roar, he'll be 3rd choice behind Johnson and either Kelly or Micah Richards, seriously over rated player!
Hodgson made it quite clear before the Euros that if fit, Walker would have been in. Which was why he specifically called up Jones ( i.e. versatile to play RB should Johnson get injured).

As for Walker's claims over Johnson, Kelly or Richards, remind me again which player was voted PFA Young Player of the Year for 2011-2012. And which player was voted in as RB in the PFA's Team of the Year?  ::)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: ONeill on July 04, 2012, 03:22:43 PM
It gets funnier.

That delusion is off the scale.

Frimpong? The Wolves player from last year?

Sandro is Spurs' back-up Holding Midfielder. Is that not Frimpong's role with the Arse?

Parker v Wilshere. Don't make me laugh.
I wasn't comparing Parker with Wilshire, since they are two completely different players.

I would, however, point out that to get someone who was/is the 2011 Footballer of the Year, a regular England international and a member of the PFA 2011/12 Team of the Year for £5m is an undoubted bargain.

Even Walcott. My ribs.
Walcott - £10m flying winger from Soton - is a fine player. Bale - £7m flying winger from Soton - is even better, in fact much better. Of course, HR didn't sign Bale, but there's no doubt he has been instrumental in helping him become the top class player he is today.

Defoe. My sides hurt now.
Like-with-like, remember? Defoe is a squad striker at Spurs i.e. only an occasional starter, more often an impact sub*. As such, his direct counterparts at the Arse are Chamouk, Bendtner or Gervino (take your pick).
Are you saying you wouldn't swap Defoe for any of those three?

* - EPL record goalscorer as a Substitute, btw

Vermaelen is Kaboul x205.  Or Kolchelney.
I agree Vermaelen is a rather better player than Kaboul. But he's also your 1st choice CB, whereas outwith injury, YK was signed as Spurs' 3rd choice. (Also TV cost £10m/€12m, whereas YK cost £5m.)

I think a fairer comparison with Kaboul is Mertesacker - or £5m vs £10m...

Quote from: ONeill on July 04, 2012, 03:22:43 PMWalker....ho ho ho.
KW is the best young RB in the EPL - see my reply to BrokenCrossbar, above.
And he cost £4m. If you can't accept that that was an absolute bargain (and we're discussing Harry's transfer record, after all), then you're more one-eyed than Arseache Whinger.

Quote from: ONeill on July 04, 2012, 03:22:43 PMVDV - an Arsenal squad player at best.
Now I know you've been drinking...
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

ONeill

The reason why all those players are inferior = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcj_00LQzBI

You can see the moment Redknapp realised he'd bought duds (and lost his job) around 5:46. The worst Arsenal team since 1995, Spuds something like 12 or 15 ahead and they blew it. The players weren't good enough. Bale - don't make me laugh. He marginally better than Walcott and that's just above average.

AZOffaly

Oh my God. Evil Genius and Tony Fearon are both Spurs fans?

What strange bedfellows does soccer make.

imtommygunn

To be fair Walker is a better right back than Johnston, Kelly and ,by virtue of the fact he gets more game time than Richards, should get on for england in front of Richards.

VDV would also walk onto that arsenal team.

Wilshire would be more comparable with Modric.

Apart from Bale and the above though most of the best of the rest would be arsenal.

ONeill

There's no way I'd have Walker ahead of Sagna (who may become captain next season).

I like VDV but there's something bitty about him. Like Bale, I don't think he fancies the donkey work when not in possession. The likes of Rosicky pulled his socks up in that regard last season.

imtommygunn

When Bale was a left back spurs took about a year and a half to win a game with him playing if I remember correctly so I suspect you're right about the donkey work but on the front foot he's a match for anyone.

I actually forgot about Sagna - I had Djouru in my mind who isn't really a top notch right back. Sagna is one of the best in europe but walker is, in my view, the best english right back.(as per any english player being the best there far from means you're the best in europe)

VDV, I think, could work on his attitude and his tackling a bit but there's no doubt he's quality.

The only spurs keeper of the last while comparable to arsenal ones is gomez mind. Wenger's failure to buy a decent keeper has, in my view, cost him probably two league titles.

ONeill

That's a quality purchase by AVB already. Thon boy who was at Swansea for a while last year stood out.

thewobbler

There's a lot of rose-tinted glasses from both Arsenal and Spurs followers.

There's a much of a muchness between the teams, as the final points tally showed.

The only Arsenal player who definitely improves Spurs is the soon-to-be-gone RVP. Everyone else in their squad is either too erratic (even Vermaelen and Sagna) or just no improvement.

The only Spurs players who definitely improve Arsenal are Bale, VdV and the soon-to-be-gone Modric. If Modric goes, Wilshire becomes a definite improvement on what's an Spurs. I'd have Ekotto as the best left back, but he is erratic too.

Adebayor walks into either team, but doesn't actually play for either.

When Arsenal stuffed Spurs last season, it was one of those days when Arsenal's erratic players all hit form. Over the course of the season, very few of them hit those highs again apart from RVP, and latterly Koscielny.

For the season ahead, Walker, Sandro, Kaboul and Caulker could all end up making a clear case for their inclusion. I'm not sure Arsenal have so many, maybe Scezny, Koscielny and Ox.

Evil Genius

Quote from: thewobbler on July 05, 2012, 01:39:56 PM
There's a lot of rose-tinted glasses from both Arsenal and Spurs followers.

There's a much of a muchness between the teams, as the final points tally showed.

The only Arsenal player who definitely improves Spurs is the soon-to-be-gone RVP. Everyone else in their squad is either too erratic (even Vermaelen and Sagna) or just no improvement.

The only Spurs players who definitely improve Arsenal are Bale, VdV and the soon-to-be-gone Modric. If Modric goes, Wilshire becomes a definite improvement on what's an Spurs. I'd have Ekotto as the best left back, but he is erratic too.

Adebayor walks into either team, but doesn't actually play for either.

When Arsenal stuffed Spurs last season, it was one of those days when Arsenal's erratic players all hit form. Over the course of the season, very few of them hit those highs again apart from RVP, and latterly Koscielny.

For the season ahead, Walker, Sandro, Kaboul and Caulker could all end up making a clear case for their inclusion. I'm not sure Arsenal have so many, maybe Scezny, Koscielny and Ox.
This "rose-tinted" fan would accept that as a reasonable enough summary, subject to two qualifications.
One, Vermaelen seems to me to be rather better than you allow and two, you simply cannot overlook Scotty Parker - by some way Spurs best player over the course of the whole season. Not only would he walk into the Arse, but I honestly believe he'd walk into any Prem team, bar City.

P.S. For O'Neill (and anyone else) who would dismiss Sandro, they might consider this:
http://www.standard.co.uk/olympics/olympics-sport/spurs-midfielder-sandro-named-in-brazil-olympic-football-squad-7918112.html
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"