Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 19, 2018, 02:49:50 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 19, 2018, 01:39:54 PM
Watched Annihilation on Netflix at the weekend based on decent reviews. Didn't do it for me at all - 6/10 at a push.

Annihilation would be lucky to get a 4 from me - really bad.

Was looking forward to Annihilation after the very good reviews - it was awful

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Square Ball on March 19, 2018, 08:42:25 PM
Enjoyed Hidden Figures. Took a long time for these women to be rewarded for their contribution to the American space race and what they had to overcome.

+1

Tony Baloney

Quote from: heffo on March 21, 2018, 02:53:20 PM
Watched Annihilation on Netflix at the weekend based on decent reviews. Didn't do it for me at all - 6/10 at a push.

Yep. A lot of the positive reviews must have been based on the fact that it was "women led".

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 21, 2018, 10:36:20 PM

Yep. A lot of the positive reviews must have been based on the fact that it was "women led".

You'll get in trouble

Syferus, get him!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Syferus

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 21, 2018, 10:36:20 PM

This film is very much in keeping with the cerebral tone of Alex Garland's last film, Ex Machina, and Sunshine, which he wrote. I think there was some affirmative hype surrounding Wonder Woman and Ghostbusters but Annihilation is not even getting a release in theatres outside a short and limited run in the US - there just isn't the level of interest in it to suggest the good reviews have much to do with the female leads. This is exactly the sort of slow-burn film that critics love and wider audiences struggle to connect with, the sex of the leads could be male and the reviews and reaction would have been about the same. It harkens back to 70s sci-fi like 2001 and the first Alien film. It's neither an action film or a horror, which is what trailers wrongly sold it as. It's a sci-fi film about big ideas and mood.

The fact the leads are women is totally incidental to the story or the themes of change, which honestly makes it much better than the films I mentioned at actually moving the needle of forward and opening up traditionally male-dominated roles for female actresses.

trileacman

Is the world forgiving films for being shite now just because they're in keeping with the most recent liberal cause-celebre?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Tony Baloney

Quote from: trileacman on March 22, 2018, 10:25:06 PM
Is the world forgiving films for being shite now just because they're in keeping with the most recent liberal cause-celebre?
Not in my house.

Taylor

Open House.
Pure shite.
Dont waste an hour and a half of your life watching it

laoislad

Hamburger Hill on TG 4 now. Great war movie.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Jayop

I watched Ready Player One at the weekend and was genuinely surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

JimStynes

Quote from: laoislad on June 18, 2018, 09:44:44 PM

Love this movie! Very underrated when talking about war movies.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: laoislad on June 18, 2018, 09:44:44 PM

Good show. I watched Full Metal Jacket 2 weeks ago, hadn't watched it in years. Still a bloody great movie.
#newbridgeornowhere

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Jayop on June 18, 2018, 10:01:39 PM
I watched Ready Player One at the weekend and was genuinely surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
Loved it, that open race was epic. Chuckys appearance  ;D
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Newbridge Exile

Watched Sicario last night, exceptional film , great performances from Blunt, Broliin and Del Torro, sequel out  in cinema at the minute as well

ballinaman

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on July 09, 2018, 10:21:26 PM
Watched Sicario last night, exceptional film , great performances from Blunt, Broliin and Del Torro, sequel out  in cinema at the minute as well
Sequel poor enough, dodgy plot. 6/10. Not a patch on original