The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

I know it's the rugby thread but I was thinking nfl and soccer when referring to the vast salaries. Where you're from still means something in rugby i think and it hasnt lost it's soul yet but as a sport I'm not pushed about it(don't think there's much skill to it). Good for you that you're still invested in the Irish soccer team. I'd love to be and used to be but the only time I'd really care nowadays is when I have a few quid on them. The wages in soccer do annoy me. Maybe that's because I work in a field that's rewarding in a lot of ways but not great financially. You'd have to admire Harry Kane though who's giving up the chance to make more money to stay with Spurs. I could root for someone like Harry.

Asal Mor

Speaking about where you're from still meaning something in rugby I watched the Axel Foley documentary on the rte player yesterday. To say it was powerful doesn't remotely so it.justice. You'd have to be made of stone not to shed a few tears.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: screenexile on October 23, 2017, 10:06:59 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on October 23, 2017, 10:04:24 PM
Zebo heads to France........

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/simon-zebo-to-join-ronan-ogara-and-donnacha-ryan-at-racing-92-next-season-36253982.html

Should he be treated like Sexton and still play for Ireland?

Will Schmidt enforce his current selection policy, i.e. drop Donnacha Ryan but keep Sexton while in France or will we see a similar rule to WRFU to stop international players moving from the provinces?

I think we've other options now that losing Zebo shouldn't be a problem. I don't think he'll get the same treatment as Sexton.

The rise of Stockdale might continue at an accelerated pace with this news.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 24, 2017, 09:12:37 AM
Quote from: screenexile on October 23, 2017, 10:06:59 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on October 23, 2017, 10:04:24 PM
Zebo heads to France........

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/simon-zebo-to-join-ronan-ogara-and-donnacha-ryan-at-racing-92-next-season-36253982.html

Should he be treated like Sexton and still play for Ireland?

Will Schmidt enforce his current selection policy, i.e. drop Donnacha Ryan but keep Sexton while in France or will we see a similar rule to WRFU to stop international players moving from the provinces?

I think we've other options now that losing Zebo shouldn't be a problem. I don't think he'll get the same treatment as Sexton.

The rise of Stockdale might continue at an accelerated pace with this news.

Agreed. He appears to have all the attributes for international rugby

Dinny Breen

S.A. get recommendation for WC. Vote in 2 weeks.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 31, 2017, 11:05:36 AM

Ouch. That's a sickener

armaghniac

I blame the Casement bollix.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AZOffaly

Quote from: armaghniac on October 31, 2017, 11:07:20 AM

I blame the Casement bollix.

That's what they get for not putting Thurles in there.

bogball88

Mooreland and Owenvarragh Residents Association opening the cans as we speak

Bord na Mona man

Report can be found here https://www.worldrugby.org/news/291551

Venues, host cities and infrastructure a big factor in SA getting the nod. Craic wasn't a major weighting factor unfortunately.

Shamrock Shore

I blame roping those well know rugby experts Bono and Geldolf in to assist.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on October 31, 2017, 11:18:22 AM

Venues, host cities and infrastructure a big factor in SA getting the nod. Craic wasn't a major weighting factor unfortunately.

Padraic Duffy will be choking on his lunch. How very dare they cast aspersions on our grounds?

meatsy86

Had a brief skim through the full report some of the scores we have received compared to France and South Africa seem ridiculous. At one point in the report it says we received a lower score for security compared to France and South Africa. The reason given is that even though the terrorism threat level in Ireland is described as 'moderate',  because we have little experience in dealing with a major terrorist incident France and South Africa score higher.

WTF?

So because we haven't been attacked by ISIS we get a lower score. It just sounds ridiculous.

At another point in the report we get a lower score than France and South Africa due to not having held a major sporting tournament like this. Surely the whole point of the bid is because we have never held the world cup before?

Its sounding more and more like they have knit-picked at Ireland's bid in order to go with the extra £40 million they are getting from South Africa.

Rossfan

Cork County Board laughing no doubt ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on October 31, 2017, 11:18:22 AM

I know you are being facetious, but maybe Craic should be a major factor. We know people like coming here, and surely fan enjoyment should be a major thing?