building a house

Started by JPF, July 23, 2009, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveherlong

Quote from: WT4E on June 26, 2020, 12:25:26 AM
Can't decide on air source heat pump or traditional oil boiler

I like the idea of having lower heating bills and having one bill for heating and electric but is the additional cost worth this and has anyone had any experience with these. I am obviously getting the sales pitch from a couple of companies.

Need to make up my mind as NIE need to price how much my connection will be and this will be a factor.

If you are going underfloor, a Heat Pump would be your best option combined with solar to provide warm water. The built in immersion will provide back up for winter

Whatever you go with try and get the house airtight, well insulated and heat recovery ventilation is a good investment

Your other option is stand alone oil burner, Grant condenser is very efficient. Send your plans to Grant and they will price you up both options
You can also incorporate a stove with back boiler to this system but you need to get your plumbing set up right with Maxi pod type hot water tank/buffer tank

Speak to a good plumber who is up to speed on both set ups  before you make up your mind

WT4E

Quote from: giveherlong on June 27, 2020, 09:36:07 AM

I like the idea of having lower heating bills and having one bill for heating and electric but is the additional cost worth this and has anyone had any experience with these. I am obviously getting the sales pitch from a couple of companies.

Need to make up my mind as NIE need to price how much my connection will be and this will be a factor.

If you are going underfloor, a Heat Pump would be your best option combined with solar to provide warm water. The built in immersion will provide back up for winter

Whatever you go with try and get the house airtight, well insulated and heat recovery ventilation is a good investment

Your other option is stand alone oil burner, Grant condenser is very efficient. Send your plans to Grant and they will price you up both options
You can also incorporate a stove with back boiler to this system but you need to get your plumbing set up right with Maxi pod type hot water tank/buffer tank

Speak to a good plumber who is up to speed on both set ups  before you make up your mind

Thanks that's great advice.

One of the guys who is trying to sell me the heat pump told me that he has a customer who put it in that I can go talk to who is very pleased with it. £1400 for the year to run electric and heat and hot water on a similar size house to what I will build.

giveherlong

Quote from: WT4E on June 27, 2020, 11:01:46 AM
Quote from: giveherlong on June 27, 2020, 09:36:07 AM

Thanks that's great advice.

One of the guys who is trying to sell me the heat pump told me that he has a customer who put it in that I can go talk to who is very pleased with it. £1400 for the year to run electric and heat and hot water on a similar size house to what I will build.

I would treat anything a sales man has to say with a huge pinch of salt
Join this Facebook group if you are building a house https://www.facebook.com/groups/816924585093717/?ref=share
Use the search button on there at top of page to search heat pump/air source heat pump which will help your research
Hundreds of different opinions on there depending on who you talk to. Renewable building regs much stricter in South
Some horror stories on sky high electric bills if pump is undersized, controls/stats not set right or house not airtight. If house isn't air tight with heat pump you are wasting your time
The key with any of these systems is preventing cold air leaking in so you got to get the basics of insulation and air tightness sorted first. If you want air tight heat recovery is a must
Personally I have seen heat pump and oil at first hand. Each has its own pros and cons
If your house is well insulated and air tight it will take very little to heat your home regardless

blewuporstuffed

I am considering exactly the same thing myself.
I like the idea of the A2W but unsure if it makes sense from a cost point of view
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

LeoMc

The better you insulate, the longer the payback.

RedHand88

Whats a typical price for plans? House is just past the outline planning stage so need everything from here on out. Been quoted £3300 for plans and mortgage supervison. Is this high?

balladmaker

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 13, 2020, 12:24:38 PM
Whats a typical price for plans? House is just past the outline planning stage so need everything from here on out. Been quoted £3300 for plans and mortgage supervison. Is this high?

10 years ago, I paid an architect £1 a sq foot to draw up plans, and get it through planning permission, once through planning stage, didn't have much further interaction with the architect, as he asked for a further £3k to be available for any questions around the build, which I declined. 

Took the plans to a QS to draw up a bill of materials, and approx staged costs for the build, and that was used for mortgage purposes. 

RedHand88

Thanks, I should have been an architect!

God14

Hi, can someone advise me please if you have to allow for stamp duty on buying a building site?

Site has full planning permission, however construction has not yet started. Based in the North.

I own my current residence, so in essence does a building site constitute a second home?

trailer

Quote from: God14 on July 14, 2020, 04:55:41 PM
Hi, can someone advise me please if you have to allow for stamp duty on buying a building site?

Site has full planning permission, however construction has not yet started. Based in the North.

I own my current residence, so in essence does a building site constitute a second home?

Yes when you buy it. But wasn't stamp duty paused there recently?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: trailer on July 14, 2020, 04:59:07 PM
Quote from: God14 on July 14, 2020, 04:55:41 PM

Yes when you buy it. But wasn't stamp duty paused there recently?

I think the decision is made, but its not yet in effect...?
i usse an speelchekor

God14

My understanding is that there is still 3 % surcharge for second homes.

trailer

Quote from: God14 on July 14, 2020, 05:04:12 PM

Sorry North or South?

God14

Rois

Quote from: God14 on July 14, 2020, 05:04:12 PM
Yep - completed on a new house on Friday and had to pay the 3%.

Claim the 3% back if you sell the current house within 3 years (that's what I'll be doing).