Mayo v Galway, MacHale Park, Sunday 13th May 4pm

Started by From the Bunker, April 01, 2018, 08:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: bucko on May 15, 2018, 12:37:51 PM
Seen some comments on line that Galway used seven substitutes the last day. After reading the indo match report and counting the subs used it would appear to be true. By my understanding Thomas Flynn shouldn't have come back on for Cooke after his black card and Galway would've been down to 14 men. Given that Flynn contributed substantially in the last few minutes I'm surprised this hasn't been picked up anywhere, unless I'm missing something.🤔 I know Cooke came on as a blood sub for Conroy but my understanding is if a blood sub is permanent it counts towards the number of subs you can use.

Commentator pondered initially if they could replace the guy who got black carded as they already had used all their subs.

When the guy came on someone else said that one of the prior subs was a blood sub for Conroy, so they could bring him on.

When does a blood sub, no longer become a blood sub

Manning18

Quote from: bucko on May 15, 2018, 12:52:57 PM
Cooke's introduction was for Conroy was initially as a temporary sub, which in the rules states does not count towards your six subs. However if the injured/bloodied player does not return to the pitch it is no longer a temporary substitution.

It's a loophole that can be exploited, including many times by Mayo over the years as this article indicates. Give it up i'd say, you're only tormenting yourself

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/john-fogarty/too-much-room-for-confusion-in-blood-sub-rule-310408.html

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Manning18 on May 15, 2018, 12:36:37 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 15, 2018, 11:45:58 AM
Does anyone know for sure the other 6 players on the Galway championship squad that weren't named on the 26 last Sunday?

Michael Daly and Kieran Molloy I assume are in there but Padraic Cunningham lined out (and played very well) for the Juniors on Sunday so I'm not sure whether he is still on the Senior panel or was released to the Juniors for the time being. Cian D'Arcy is surely going to play with the U20's as, I think, he is still eligible at that age grade.
Are Eoin Finnerty and Danny Cummins still in there? Who am I missing?

Daly, Molloy, Cummins, O'Beolain, Finnerty & Cunningham i'm guessing are the 6 based on the A v B game to open a pitch they had there a few weeks back. Probably no coincidence that the first 3 named missed so much of the year so he doesn't trust them to come back in as yet. Still not a bad sign that 3 footballers of that caliber can't make a 26 man squad.

Thanks, the squad is a bit top heavy up front compared to the number of backs.

galwayman

Cooke's introduction was for Conroy was initially as a temporary sub, which in the rules states does not count towards your six subs. However if the injured/bloodied player does not return to the pitch it is no longer a temporary substitution.
Not true. There is nothing in the rulebook to state that if the player that goes off as a bloodbsub doesn't come back on - then it counts as one of your 6 "normal" subs.
It's a loophole that there has been several examples of since the blood sub was introduced.

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 15, 2018, 01:15:48 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on May 15, 2018, 12:36:37 PM
Does anyone know for sure the other 6 players on the Galway championship squad that weren't named on the 26 last Sunday?

Michael Daly and Kieran Molloy I assume are in there but Padraic Cunningham lined out (and played very well) for the Juniors on Sunday so I'm not sure whether he is still on the Senior panel or was released to the Juniors for the time being. Cian D'Arcy is surely going to play with the U20's as, I think, he is still eligible at that age grade.

Daly, Molloy, Cummins, O'Beolain, Finnerty & Cunningham i'm guessing are the 6 based on the A v B game to open a pitch they had there a few weeks back. Probably no coincidence that the first 3 named missed so much of the year so he doesn't trust them to come back in as yet. Still not a bad sign that 3 footballers of that caliber can't make a 26 man squad.

Thanks, the squad is a bit top heavy up front compared to the number of backs.
we could be in a bit of bother if we have lads in fullback line especially injured or black carded. In this regard Liam Silke becomes an even bigger loss.

weareros

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 15, 2018, 10:36:58 AM
Listened to Colm Parkinson's podcast, changed his tune again and is a fan of what Galway are doing; He doesn't think their as defensive as the other pundits are making out and was more critical of Mayo's defensive tactics especially in the 2nd half.

It was the same with Wooly last year, raving about Galway and then he left Salthill with his tail between his legs. I was surprised how effusive he was in his praise. I don't think he even mentioned Sligo and Roscommon and he only spoke about Galway as a challenger to Dublin. Look, I think Galway have improved tremendously from last year and have an abundance of talent. But I think Galway and Sligo will be a lot closer than the experts think.

Kurtz

Quote from: weareros on May 15, 2018, 01:41:23 PM
Listened to Colm Parkinson's podcast, changed his tune again and is a fan of what Galway are doing; He doesn't think their as defensive as the other pundits are making out and was more critical of Mayo's defensive tactics especially in the 2nd half.

It was the same with Wooly last year, raving about Galway and then he left Salthill with his tail between his legs. I was surprised how effusive he was in his praise. I don't think he even mentioned Sligo and Roscommon and he only spoke about Galway as a challenger to Dublin. Look, I think Galway have improved tremendously from last year and have an abundance of talent. But I think Galway and Sligo will be a lot closer than the experts think.
If Mayo had one more marquee forward they would have won that game easily
The waltzed in to the scoring zone unchallenged
Then again Mayo would already have an all ireland or two if they had the forwards

Cunny Funt

16. Bernard Power (Corofin)
17. Eamonn Brannigan (St. Michael's)
18. Frankie Burke (Annaghdown)
19. Ian Burke (Corofin)
20. Peter Cooke (Maigh Cuilinn)
21. Johnny Duane (St. James')
22. Seán Kelly (Maigh Cuilinn)
23. Patrick Sweeney (Killannin)
24. Adrian Varley (Cortoon Shamrocks)
25. David Wynne (Maigh Cuilinn)
26. Evan Wynne (Salthill/Knocknacarra)

Maroon Manc

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/jim-mcguinness-mayo-now-on-a-familiar-but-unforgiving-road-1.3494910

McGuiness critical of Galway giving away too many frees in the fullback line, he is right although their were certainly signs during the league that they'd made huge improvements. Think all of those frees bar one were early on in the game and the free Andy Moran got off Kerin in the second half was very soft.

He also points out that Galway struggled breaking down the blanket themselves, he's right but its not too often Galway have faced it and McHale Park is a lot narrower pitch then most which doesn't help either. The introduction of the subs certainly helped Galway deal with it and in that last 10 minutes Galway should have more scores when they had opened Mayo up.

Hound

Quote from: galwayman on May 15, 2018, 01:22:55 PM
Not true. There is nothing in the rulebook to state that if the player that goes off as a bloodbsub doesn't come back on - then it counts as one of your 6 "normal" subs.
It's a loophole that there has been several examples of since the blood sub was introduced.
It really is a nonsense rule. I remember Rory O'Carroll going off with a cut head after 5 mins once, and he never came back (coz he was concussed), yet still it was considered a temporary blood sub for the whole match and we could (and did) make 6 more subs.

You could maybe put a timelimit on it, but that would be hard to police and you should give the cases where they are genuinely trying to get the lad back on the pitch as long as they need (e.g. COC and AOS in Limerick v Kerry).

So I would just give unlimited substitutions. Have 6 or 7 or 8 subs and allow interchanges with the proviso that a lad can only enter the pitch after the other lad has come off, and the sub cannot kick a free in the immediate next phase of play (to stop the emergence of the NFL style kicker who only comes on to kick frees!).

It would also help stop the nonsense about dummy teams as you could put a rule in that the 1-23 has to be named by Thursday, but you can start any of the 15.

An Fhairche Abu

Recency bias, sure he said on the podcast that this was the first match he was actually at involving Galway this year, it can be very difficult to judge anything from the TV if you are not at a match and can see the off the ball movement, how teams are set etc. Pundits see a very limited amount of teams live and in person, compounding that is the fact that some of them only see what they want to see to back up their own previously stated opinions as well.

Roscommon have also improved from last year and in all honesty, given the plum draw they got again for 2018, can have focused much of the year on being right for the Connacht final, just like they did last year when they were extremely comfortable winners. Galway or Sligo will hold no fear for them come June 17th. Galway will have to beat Mayo, Sligo and Roscommon to win a Connacht title and punch their ticket to the Super 8s, it's a very competitive province.

I agree and I think Galway will be fully focused on Sligo, they did not play particularly well on Sunday but the challenge is to improve in the next game and carry on incrementally improving to (hopefully) putting in their best performances during the big games in mid-July.

Quote from: Kurtz on May 15, 2018, 01:52:14 PM
Then again Mayo would already have an all ireland or two if they had the forwards

Galway would have won the game more comfortably if they had introduced Ian Burke and Sean Kelly earlier.
If Galway hadn't given Mayo some gimme frees with rash, unnecessary tackles they would have not been as close on the scoreboard at ht.
Galway would have won the game more comfortably if they had Liam Silke, Cillian McDaid and Daithi Burke available to them.
We can all pull out the hypotheticals, the only fact that matters from Sunday is the final score.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Kurtz on May 15, 2018, 01:52:14 PM

Not according to Dont Foul who has an actual map of where Mayo took their shots from.

Yellow is this year, black from '16 and '17 against Galway ; x is a miss, circle a score.

Syferus

I don't know how you watched that game and thought Mayo waltzed anywhere in Galway's half unchallenged. Mayo routinely got stuck on the Galway 45 unable to break the line, and many times when they did send a ball in there was too little support and the carrier either took a low percentage shot, lost the ball or had to recycle it back towards the 45 again. I think Galway played good defence but also Mayo's attacking play and movement was utterly anemic for most of the match.

Cavanagh said they missed Keegan's ability to break the line and he was very right on that account. In years past it was the Mayo HB line that was making up for the lack of guile or pace up front by creating mismatches. It happens far less regularly these days.

cornetto

Well the Galway footballers celebrated in style Sunday night and a bunch of them ended up in wards hotel, run by Anthony finnerty, father of rob finnerty,not going in to too much detail the early morning staff got a lovely greeting of bodies!!😁