The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmac

Quote from: Solo_run on February 09, 2019, 03:00:42 PM
Not too sure why Quinn Roux is on the team. From what I have seen he is mediocre.

Carberry playing much like how Ireland played last week. I am questioning whether Ireland have bothered to show up for this week's game with two fortunate tries. If this was Wales or England then Ireland would be getting punished.

Ireland's passing game has been shicking, there have been too many mistakes made. The passes being made are too risky and they aren't keeping it tight.

The kicking game has been utterly crap. I'm actually worried that Scotland will come out and replicate Ireland's box kicking and beating them at it.
donncha  Ryan  would be nice to have now

Insane Bolt

Fcuk this is giving me the yips

Insane Bolt

Solo_run

They have tightened up their passing in the second half. Every meter counts.

Insane Bolt

screenexile

Poor enough second half and while Ireland didn't play particularly well given the system failure last week and the injuries this week it's a decent away win and plenty to build on moving to the France game.

We'll rest plenty against Italy and effectively it's 4 weeks until the next big game which is plenty of time to recover and regroup. We're not as good as many believed but equally we aren't as bad as many made out after last week!!

podge

I thought Rory Best had a fine game today. He does seem to have a lot of critics but he is a leader. I hope he can make it to the World Cup.  Also thought Kearney did well

Now that 6 nations is basically out of reach, and complete capitulation should be out of the question after today, I would like to see them giving a lot of the back up a few runs out to build experience for them and to rest a few of the more experienced such as Best, o'mahomy, sexton etc

Milltown Row2

Sextons last game should be Italy.. enjoy that and prepare for World Cup, he takes some abuse
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Tony Baloney

screenexile

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 10, 2019, 03:51:54 PM
England motoring.

Yeah makes me feel better about last week... England are a serious outfit that seem to be peaking!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on February 10, 2019, 04:19:30 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 10, 2019, 03:51:54 PM
England motoring.

Yeah makes me feel better about last week... England are a serious outfit that seem to be peaking!

Peaking too early, I hope. Teams will catch on to their kicking game soon enough
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/liam-toland-scottish-errors-may-not-save-us-at-the-world-cup-1.3788690

Liam Toland: Scottish errors may not save us at the World Cup
Errors by the hosts not limited to time with ball in hand, but also out of possession

Liam Toland

AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email AppShare to LinkedInShare to PinterestShare to RedditShare to WhatsApp

Peter O'Mahony was man-of-the-match in a crucial game low on skill but high, very high, on mentality. Had Ireland lost this game it would have been a mighty blow below the World Cup water line.
Ireland should never have come close to losing this game when factoring in how awful Scotland were at times, so error-prone that I wondered aloud were their players all working nights last week. Ireland did not lose, and will take major positives. What a defeat could have done to the Irish mentally would have been unthinkable.
Round one in Dublin was all about blueprints. It was about England's methodology in negating so much of Joe Schmidt's technical prowess around the box kick, outplaying and shutting down the Irish wide game. Scotland were always going to be an entirely different proposition. The English blueprint would be impossible to create. So what happened?
Scotland have so much talent who can play at times a brand of rugby that I really want to watch. I found myself at times shouting support in a vain attempt to get them to make that last crucial pass or select the right play. Not because I wanted them to win, but because it's so infuriating to watch their error count building in the knowledge that the Irish players and management would also spot the errors and react accordingly.
To be fair to both sides, the conditions were difficult. That said, you have to ask yourself if the home team adapted to the conditions, which were well flagged, as well as the the visiting team. Ireland reacted, with players like Jacob Stockdale using all his physique and pace off Johnny Sexton in exposing an ill-disciplined Scottish side.
Pushed passes
When I say ill-disciplined I'm thinking of Scotland shutting off at crucial times – dropped balls, pushed passes, forward passes and a defence that wasn't concentrating and executing when necessary. The Scottish errors weren't limited to their time with the ball in hand, but equally when they didn't have possession.
!
!

Blue Billywig Video PlayerConor Murray kicked as he has done so many times before, but often went a wee bit longer, with the scrumhalf opting to keep the ball in play. This may have been a nod to the Scottish lineout or simply a tactical ploy to invite a Scottish counter and the inevitable error. Either way Murray was backing his defence. The Irish lineout, with so many changes, performed 100 per cent. The scrum I'll address below.
As Scotland drifted into an error-strewn phase Ireland cleverly switched tempo and tactics – lineout, mauls etc...An added bonus to this process would be big ball carriers. Irish forwards carry but unfortunately for very limited yardage. Chris Farrell has already shown this season he is able to dismantle sides – witness his man-of-the-match performance against a poor Edinburgh in Cork. For Ireland it was a powerful performing Rob Kearney and Stockdale who racked up the metres gained – there's no issue there but with Farrell being so big and athletic given the right opportunity he'll create huge value for those around him.
Scrums
Areas of concern? The closing scrum, the defensive decision-making in the wider channels and the inability to carry the ball away from the deep trenches.
On Friday I noted the opportunities that went a begging in the Aviva when England's scrum was vulnerable. The last three scrums in Edinburgh provided a further window into that world.
The third scrum was a major struggle, but the second of those closing three set-pieces on 77 minutes resulted in a penalty for Scotland. The fixture was dead at this point, so no harm done, but imagine we have that same scrum against South Africa in the closing minutes of a World Cup quarter-final. Would a similar outcome cost Ireland an historic semi-final? Tendai Mtawarira, the "Beast", will be one who will maximise this potential.

At the heart of this is time played. Tadhg Furlong is our world-class tighthead, with Andrew Porter behind him. But how much pitch time is Porter actually getting? Ten minutes here and there?
Even with Leinster he is not getting the minutes in the one position where training is less effectual. Game-time must provide the only real learning environment. Porter is Schmidt's number two tighthead and must get more, much more, game-time in preparation for facing the "Beast".

Defensive reading

For obvious individual and unit rustiness reasons, the defensive reading from Ireland's 13, 14 and 15 (and 11) is not quite on the money. For example, just before half time Kearney made a read and hit on the Scottish wide play on the 23rd phase. Huw Jones was 8m from the Irish touchline and 10m from the Irish try line. Stockdale was bursting a gut to get to Jones when Kearney stepped in to smash the Scottish centre.
The problem was that Tommy Seymour was free in the tram tracks. A quality pass and Seymour scores. Jones's pass forced Seymour to check and the try was gone, with Stockdale slipping past Kearney to pull him down. Decisions such as these are costly when teams like Argentina are flying high and accurate. World Cup semi-final teams, that is.

A good metal win for Ireland, but I wonder what the conditions will be like on Sunday, September 22nd, in Yokohama City when we meet Scotland? Scottish errors may not save us then!
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

thewobbler

After a couple of years of gradually losing interest, I'm now all but given up on rugby.

I fell for the game big time 20 years ago. Loved the constant strategic challenge of territory or possession. I loved the fact that the perfect formation seemed to consist of small fat man, tall ungainly men, a handful of testosterone-fuelled athletic freaks, and a couple of less-brave sorts out wide. The respect for referees was astonishing. That men could batter lumps out of each other for an hour and a half, then walk off arm-in-arm, did the heart good. And of course the 4 green fields all on show together at international level.

But if truth be told, it bores me senseless now. It is rugby league of 20 years ago, except with aimless box kicks thrown in at random intervals. It's no longer a game of skill or incision. It's just a series of over-sized, drug-fuelled robots playing a game of patience, waiting for a mistake to happen on the other side, while ensuring you make none yourself.

As a game I cannot see how it can fix itself either. They'll just keep getting bigger and stronger, and everyone will continue to pretend that it's entirely normal for Celtic nations to produce eons of  6' 4", 18 stone, finely tuned athletes.

I do fear that within 20 years, there will be a trend of pro rugby players dying in their early fifties from massive heart failure and brain haemorrhages. It's awful that we will have to wait for this to happen before the game can go back to being fun.

Applesisapples

As a non rugby rugby fan, is the success of the club game in Ireland now catching up with the national team?