Paddy Heaney of the irish news!

Started by culchy1, December 07, 2006, 10:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Six Inch Nail

I find Paddy Heaney's column class.  Always very interesting and alot of the times funny.  Particularly last weeks column, it hit a cord with me due to the fact that my club is still involved in a shitty promotion playoff.  He was maybe abit over the top at points in the article, however the general gist of it was 100%
Silverbridge Harps GAC, Co. Armagh

lynchbhoy

dont know much about paddy heaney and dont buy the Irish News.
I think ALL journos are a bit off with much of what they say, so about them being 100% correct makes me think you too straight to be a journo culchy

the real question here is (apart from there not being any pic's of Feeney's Banagher clubman Michael X Hasson - X being the family nickname that will cause Mr Hasson to want to fight you if you say it to his face) what Did mickey say about the county manager/team/setup etc

Did he do this off his own bat, or as I expect was this part of a planned speech after consultaion with the county chairman and secratary - if posts from people on here are anything to be believed..

bennydorano

Quote from: Hardy on December 07, 2006, 11:59:48 AM
It's nice to see the GAA's efforts to reach out across the cultural divide beginning to  bear fruit, as evidenced by the growing use of Ulster Scots on this site.

More like abstract Haiku :)

culchy1

alrite sur , i dont recall mentionin i was a journalist!
i wudnt mind though u get paid 2 go 2 matches all expenses paid, an everythin
else that comes with it!

an u say u dont buy the irish news, thats probably because the price of sheep
has went to hell the last while aint that rite sur!only jokin dont get ur back up!

anyhow, think it was in his anual report that mr hasson said certain things about paddy crozier.
i dont think he was that bad actually, he finished by sayin paddy had done a job enuf job by all accounts
its been blown all outta proportion, cause in derry its us against them (the county board against the players/management)
mr hasson mentioned somethin bout paddy crozier wont be callin the shots next year as to club fixtures,etc.

myself i think paddy has done a decent enuf job, he has blooded alot o younger boys, think paul carton was a good addition
but he has been hit hard by the retirement of some of the older hands for next year.
i heard big enda is to retire any truth, heard hes now runnin a bar in b'derry.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: culchy1 on December 07, 2006, 12:33:56 PM
alrite sur , i dont recall mentionin i was a journalist!
i wudnt mind though u get paid 2 go 2 matches all expenses paid, an everythin
else that comes with it!

an u say u dont buy the irish news, thats probably because the price of sheep
has went to hell the last while aint that rite sur!only jokin dont get ur back up!

anyhow, think it was in his anual report that mr hasson said certain things about paddy crozier.
i dont think he was that bad actually, he finished by sayin paddy had done a job enuf job by all accounts
its been blown all outta proportion, cause in derry its us against them (the county board against the players/management)
mr hasson mentioned somethin bout paddy crozier wont be callin the shots next year as to club fixtures,etc.

myself i think paddy has done a decent enuf job, he has blooded alot o younger boys, think paul carton was a good addition
but he has been hit hard by the retirement of some of the older hands for next year.
i heard big enda is to retire any truth, heard hes now runnin a bar in b'derry.

no offense taken Culchy
the decline of sheep farming has lead me to seek out a different career to my ancestral predecessors heritage.

I didnt say you were a journo (esp after reading your last piece  ;))  but that you were too straight laced and truthful to be one.

My personal thoughts on PC's first and penultimate year at the helm are on the Derry thread - not that they are up to much as per usual!

Lecale2

Paddy H usually hits the nail on the head. Things are always quiet at this time of the year. Try reading the GAA output in the Indo if you're looking for lazy journalism.

reiteoir

Saying that Paddy Heaney cant take responsibility for photographs in the Irish News is a crock of shit. He put his name to it and therefore he has to stand over it. He's made himself out to be a right gab shite.

Also read Against the Breeze when he was having a go a county conventions talking abot the Compromised rules game. Although I cant quote him word for word but it went along the lines of County conventions debating the compromised rules is a bit like a Tory calling for Tax cuts. Its safe and generates votes cos its what people want to hear.

The same can be said of declaring open seaon on county boards - so take your own advice, Paddy.

He also said about counties - Antrim in particular - getting its house in order. Maybe Paddy should get the Irish News house in order before he starts pointing fingers at other people.

All in all today's Irish news showed Paddy up to be unprofessional and shoddy.

culchy1

i agree with reoitor
paddy shud check what he puts his name 2
its like some of them up their own arse z-list celebs that write authobiographies
an dont have a clue whats in them.

on saturday it was in the irish news that our club put forward a motion 2 have
the compromise rules done away with, paddy referred to this
he said that it wasnt as if any antrim player was in danger of bein closelined like geraghty or anythin
but that wasnt the point, just because antrim didnt have any players involved doesnt mean we dont have a say
the point was that our club took 3 bus loads of children 2 watch that great farse of a match
although it was a great day out for the children we didnt want the wanes 2 c this as what the gaa were promotin
thus callin for it 2 be replaced with somethin else
that wud be suitable for young children to go an c.
what paddy was doin was discriminatin against us because of where were from

Craigyhill Terror

Any of the journalists lurking on here will tell you that sub-editors layout pages, write headlines, captions and choose pictures. Heaney might have been 100 miles away when the mistakes were made.

Reporters do not have responsibilty for pictures, headlines or captions. It's the Irish News that looks shoddy here, not the individual reporter

reiteoir

C'hill, if Paddy is big enough to write in the Irish News and shoot his mouth off then he should be big enough to take criticism. He put his name to the article and the buck stops with him. Sin é.

Maybe the picture editor is from Antrim and is a bit pissed off with the crap he keeps writing about the county ;)

hitzelsperger

screenexile

As someone said before that's a crock o' shit reitoir. You'll read some Gulpin like yourself in Off the fence complaining about it next week. It has happned a few ties I might add and goes along the lines of "Paddy Heany put a picture of the wrong Michael Hasson in... he's a disgrace and should apologise" and the reply is "Sorry but journalists write articles, they have nothing to do with pictures, headlines or even thos squote boxes around the outside of the article.... yes the IN is at fault but do not blame this on Paddy Heaney"

WTF do you boys know about the journalism industry anyway? This is the way it's done for every Newspaper so wind yuor neck in and blame the right people rather than standing on your high horse "I wrote it therefore I'd stand over it" wise up!!!

As for Heaney, I've had to miss out on the IN for the last few months but I usually find his articles particularly on the club scene very humourous and interesting and judging by most here he definitely strikes a chord with your normal club footballers. In fairness the articles aren't as good as they once were but they are as good an opinion piece as you'll find on the GAA at any time of year.

ONeill

Wobbler's comment were spot on. Heaney, albeit one of the top sport journalists in the paper (I rate the young fella Niblock higher - he wrote in the paper over summer - maybe still is?), has simply run out of innovative material.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

never kickt a ball

Jeepers boys you are wild hard to please. Leave Paddy alone. If any of your teams were as consistent as he was thay would be doing well. His article over the "typing error" in the Macrory cup last year was immense as was his article on motivation for playing for a club. In addition don't forget he predicted the downfall of Tyrone long before everyone was even thinking of removing their rose tinted glasses.

Elias

Paddy Heaneys articles, IMO are top notch journalism, and he is the reason I buy the Irish News. (It's certainly for all the political ballox in the front third!)

This is not the first time Mr Heaney has taken criticism, and it certainly won't be the last. In his role I'm sure he's used to it! His articles are constantly slated in OTF by all and sundry, sure it's impossible to please all us Irish with a single point of view.

Deffo one of my favourite sports journo's; and miles ahead of one certain Martin Breheny, who many failings deserve their own thread!