NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 13, 2019, 12:19:18 PM
What was MacKenna getting at the other day with his tweet about Lee Keegan? He deleted it the next day.

Whilst we're on about Mayo I read the other day that there charging $25000 for a table of 10 at a fundraiser in the states!! If they can sell all those tables for that amount then you'd have to take your hat off to them. I can't understand their county board though, they've a huge diaspora which is probably bigger than anyone elses that they could take more advantage off. Their lack of a commercial manager is baffling, they should have been taking advantage of this team since 2012.

Don't worry Manc most of us don't understand the county board either!! The lack of a commercial manager is probably about control and the executive don't want to give up any power (even if it would in reality make their lives easier!!) as it would weaken their own little patch and may hurt aspirations of officers on gaining and or keeping their influence!!
They did announce around the time of the Rochford firing debacle broke taht they would be seeking to appoint a commercial manager but there hasn't been any news since and I guess they are going to try and long finger that appointment for as long as possible!!
The New York fundraiser is being organised by a prominent New Yooker who is the son of a Mayowoman which is welcome compared to the poor attempts by this county board at fundraising from the last trip ( I thin they raised $6,000).

Crete Boom

Quote from: weareros on February 13, 2019, 01:34:40 PM
What was MacKenna getting at the other day with his tweet about Lee Keegan? He deleted it the next day.

Whilst we're on about Mayo I read the other day that there charging $25000 for a table of 10 at a fundraiser in the states!! If they can sell all those tables for that amount then you'd have to take your hat off to them. I can't understand their county board though, they've a huge diaspora which is probably bigger than anyone elses that they could take more advantage off. Their lack of a commercial manager is baffling, they should have been taking advantage of this team since 2012.

Was there some brouhaha with the Mayo county board trying to get the team attend a function right before the championship match in NY, and the team rightly declined. Or was that us the Rossies. I can never remember which county board annoys their supporters the most.

No that was our crowd weareros , a shabby organised event where the county board wanted the team to turn up at a bar owned by an ex-Mayo player on the night before the game and mingle around with well oiled supporters who had to pay a high cover charge for entry. Horan said get stuffed as he had a game to play the next day. The bar owner still packed the place out and the county board had a big biscuit tin at the door which only netted $6,000 out of all the money paid into said biscuit tin!!

Mayo4Sam

What was the tweet?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

manfromdelmonte

You might have a large diaspora abroad but most of them want to contribute nothing

TheGreatest

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 13, 2019, 03:24:25 PM
What was the tweet?

He has a hard on for him (no messing).

TheGreatest

Quote from: northsideboy on February 13, 2019, 12:12:22 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 13, 2019, 09:25:05 AM
Quote from: northsideboy on February 13, 2019, 09:23:24 AM
Quote from: Soju on February 13, 2019, 03:05:17 AM
Interesting article about the influence Dublin have over the GAA, how they are using it to their advantage and how that inevitably is ruining football.

https://punditarena.com/features/emackenna/mackenna-on-monday-dublin-financial-advantage-must-be-addressed/
There is plenty that could be said about that writer. Interesting isn't the term that I would use though.
attack the writer, classic deflection
why not debate the issues?
When a writer is so embittered as he is, he best left ignored

Wolves do not concern themselves with the opinion  of sheep.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: TheGreatest on February 13, 2019, 03:41:58 PM
What was the tweet?

He has a hard on for him (no messing).

Who has a hard on for who?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rosnarun

Quote from: Crete Boom on February 13, 2019, 02:52:01 PM
Quote from: weareros on February 13, 2019, 01:34:40 PM

Was there some brouhaha with the Mayo county board trying to get the team attend a function right before the championship match in NY, and the team rightly declined. Or was that us the Rossies. I can never remember which county board annoys their supporters the most.

No that was our crowd weareros , a shabby organised event where the county board wanted the team to turn up at a bar owned by an ex-Mayo player on the night before the game and mingle around with well oiled supporters who had to pay a high cover charge for entry. Horan said get stuffed as he had a game to play the next day. The bar owner still packed the place out and the county board had a big biscuit tin at the door which only netted $6,000 out of all the money paid into said biscuit tin!!
I heard a private whip round for the players made a lot more than that delivered in to them in a dunes store bag. the spirit is will but there too much resentment towards the county board for them to do it them selves
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

GalwayBayBoy

What was the tweet?

Something like he wants to interview him more than anybody else.

Main Street

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 13, 2019, 11:38:33 AM
Was there much discussion of the schemozzle on RTÉ on Saturday night? It was passed over completely on Sunday evening by the Dolan & Brolly. Tbh, I've no problem with that as I don't think there was a lot in it but hopefully they'll be consistent when it's two other counties.....
Location,
it wasn't in Omagh.

TheMaster

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 13, 2019, 11:14:09 AM
The biggest issue in Dublin  is not enough clubs

look at a county that has had relative success at underage for their size without a huge development money spend

eg Roscommon.
they reached something like 8 U21 finals in Connacht in a row and reached two All Ireland U21 finals (met the Dublin juggernaut on both occasions).
most of the Roscommon players on those teams are no longer playing county football and in fact a lot of them are no longer playing club football!
Why? they haven't got the opportunity to study/work/live near home and travelling long distances for games and training isn't feasible.

Roscommon have had a huge turnover of players in the last 5 years alone, as most young players cannot give the commitment needed.
The county is hugely economically disadvantaged as they cannot pull in huge team or individual sponsorships to help with team costs.

and that is a team that reached the last 8 last summer and is Division 1. if they are in that boat, how are the counties outside the top 10 teams meant to compete?

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: TheMaster on February 13, 2019, 07:51:49 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 13, 2019, 11:14:09 AM
The biggest issue in Dublin  is not enough clubs

look at a county that has had relative success at underage for their size without a huge development money spend

eg Roscommon.
they reached something like 8 U21 finals in Connacht in a row and reached two All Ireland U21 finals (met the Dublin juggernaut on both occasions).
most of the Roscommon players on those teams are no longer playing county football and in fact a lot of them are no longer playing club football!
Why? they haven't got the opportunity to study/work/live near home and travelling long distances for games and training isn't feasible.

Roscommon have had a huge turnover of players in the last 5 years alone, as most young players cannot give the commitment needed.
The county is hugely economically disadvantaged as they cannot pull in huge team or individual sponsorships to help with team costs.

and that is a team that reached the last 8 last summer and is Division 1. if they are in that boat, how are the counties outside the top 10 teams meant to compete?
What's that got to do with clubs in Dublin?

priceyreilly

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 13, 2019, 12:18:57 PM
Quote from: northsideboy on February 13, 2019, 12:12:22 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 13, 2019, 09:25:05 AM
Quote from: northsideboy on February 13, 2019, 09:23:24 AM
Quote from: Soju on February 13, 2019, 03:05:17 AM
Interesting article about the influence Dublin have over the GAA, how they are using it to their advantage and how that inevitably is ruining football.

https://punditarena.com/features/emackenna/mackenna-on-monday-dublin-financial-advantage-must-be-addressed/
There is plenty that could be said about that writer. Interesting isn't the term that I would use though.
attack the writer, classic deflection
why not debate the issues?
When a writer is so embittered as he is, he best left ignored

When i seen "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche" it shows he definitely reads GAABOARD. ;)

A great concise piece. There are a growing amount of us bitters. And for good reason.

He basically stole all of DONT MATTERS material and made a career out of it.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 13, 2019, 05:25:32 PM
What was the tweet?

Something like he wants to interview him more than anybody else.

In one way but he was certainly alluding to something, he always does. Look at some of the replies to his tweet that he 'liked' and convinced of that given he's deleted it.

rosnarun

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 22, 2019, 11:14:20 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 22, 2019, 10:51:13 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on January 22, 2019, 09:38:14 PM
I expect a loss on Saturday   , with a defeat to Tyrone the following week highly likely , relegation would then be on the cards. I expect a very poor show in the championship ,  with a few depressing retirements at the end of the season the likes we'll never see again . It will be a dull dark gloomy period over the next two years . You'd have to think if Dublin win 7/8 in a row the county game itself might die altogether too.

You don't have to ask Mystic Meg what's ahead for Mayo. Championship wise a lot will depend on a lucky draw for how far we progress.  Mayo not qualifying for the Super 8 last year was a financial disaster for Corporate GAA. So Corporate GAA will do their best to make sure they are there this year.

The game is dead for all teams outside division One, and that's being nice to Cavan and Roscommon. It's even being nice to the other 5! Dublin roll on and we are told we need them to be big and powerful for the GAA to prosper financially. Problem is they need opponents and they don't have any. Dublin fans are getting bored. We are all getting bored. Great hopes of the last couple of years like, Mayo, Tyrone, Kerry and Monaghan, Donegal have come up short and are coming up shorter each year. Kerry because of tradition look like the best bet to topple the Dubs in the future and that in it own way is as depressing as total Dublin domination.

There is a lot more to championship football than just winning the All Ireland. Sport as in life can be about the journey not just the destination and i don't think some Mayo supporters appreciate the journey they have been on since Horan became manager the first time. Now park your dead talk and focus on the topic of the thread which is Div 1 league football.
why do you think the Mayo support has held up as well as it has if we idnt appreciate the journey . don't pay any attention to the moanbags on here from mayo some have ben predicting the end of the world since  horan came last time if not before.
some of mayo best matches have been ones they  ended up losing im thinking of Kerry in limerick  in particular and they lost  no glory or honour  and won a lot of fans in the process.
I would rather mayo lose with their dignity intact rather than go down the route of galway and try and bore every one to death despite possibly having the best set of forwards in the county
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere