Goals scored from frees?

Started by blanketattack, July 05, 2010, 11:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

Seeing Mikey Sheehy's goal from '78 and Limerick's attempt at a goal from 14 yards with 8 Kerrymen on the line made me think, since Sheey's goal, has a goal from a free ever been scored in the Senior Championship since?
I mean intentional goals as I'm sure the odd long range free has dropped in through the goalie's hands.
I know Barry John Walsh scored what could only be described as a rasper in the Munster Minor final a couple of years ago, but I can't remember any at senior level?

Billys Boots

Podgie Davis scored a goal from a free for Longford -v- Dublin in the Leinster Championship in Croker in around 2003/2004 (on a very bad day for Longford) - took a 21 free quickly and buried it. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Ball Hopper

Brendan Lynch (Kerry) did it late on in the 1968 All-Ireland Final, but Down held on to record their third victory over the kingdom in that decade.

nrico2006

Did big Geoffrey not bang one in around 2004 from the 21, or was it against Tyrone in 2003?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Hound

I remember Jack O'Shea doing it successfully in a league game v the Dubs. I think it was the first year of the taking frees from the hands, and towards the end of Jacko's career. Stranger still, Kerry didnt win.

OverThePostsAWide

OK, not senior, but Damian Barton rasped a last minute 21yd free into the top corner of the Mayo net to take the 1983 All-Ireland U21 final to a replay (which Derry lost).

GrandMasterFlash

Paul Finlay scored a last gasp goal against Meath in the Div2 final in 2005 in Croker. Monaghan were trailing by 2 and the ref had instructed Finlay that it was to be the last kick of the game. Finlay punted a speculative ball into the square. Mark Ward attempted to punch the ball clear/over the bar and it ended up in the onion bag.. Monaghan won by a point! I'll never forget it, and I'm sure Mark Ward won't either..

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 05, 2010, 12:18:41 PM
Did big Geoffrey not bang one in around 2004 from the 21, or was it against Tyrone in 2003?

Hi did indeed, I was at that match. He wasn't long on the pitch as a sub if I mind. Tyrone were well up at that stage though..

longrunsthefox

Did Daisy McDermott do it for Tyrone minors at Casement park in a replay against Down four or five years ago. I think he did and it won the game for them

muppet

I have a vivid memory of Padraig Brogan scoring from either a 14 yard or 21 yard free (off the ground) against Sligo I think. A screamer to the top right corner.

Looking at the stats it could only have been 1987 or 1992. Anyone else remember this.
MWWSI 2017

ross4life

Roscommon v Donegal league game 2002 Stephen Lohan kicked a 40 yard free along the ground, Barry Monaghan on the Donegal goal line roared... "i have it" & let in through his butter fingers  :D
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Mike Tyson

Quote from: longrunsthefox on July 05, 2010, 05:10:19 PM
Did Daisy McDermott do it for Tyrone minors at Casement park in a replay against Down four or five years ago. I think he did and it won the game for them

I know James Colgan did in injury time against the Tyrone minors in 2005 in Omagh to win it. Top corner

joemamas

Quote from: muppet on July 05, 2010, 05:41:43 PM
I have a vivid memory of Padraig Brogan scoring from either a 14 yard or 21 yard free (off the ground) against Sligo I think. A screamer to the top right corner.

Looking at the stats it could only have been 1987 or 1992. Anyone else remember this.

Thought it was against Leitrim, and I belive it was not intentional.

muppet

Quote from: joemamas on July 05, 2010, 06:21:12 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 05, 2010, 05:41:43 PM

Thought it was against Leitrim, and I belive it was not intentional.

You are correct. 19/06/1988 in Charlestown versus Leitrim. Did he say himself it wasn't intended?
MWWSI 2017

ross4life

Wasn't Padraig Brogan the guy that missed out on a All Ireland Medal when he left Donegal for Mayo?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open